Thinking of buying a 246GT or GTS | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a 246GT or GTS

Discussion in '206/246' started by vdavie, Feb 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I currently have a 98 355 GTS and will keep it but have always liked the Dino, And I think now is the time to see if I can find a good one. The problem is i know next to nothing about the car. Other than the usual rust ect.. what should i be looking for? What about a Euro model? any help would be great,

thanks,
    vince

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have Owned 5 different Dino's in the past 15 years, and done total rotiserie resto's on 2 of them..The car is a dream to drive.What is your Budget?
    The Best of the Best is a 74'Chairs and flares GTS. If you read Sports car market mag, they comment on a steady rise in sale prices over the last 12 months.
    A euro model will always be frowned upon here in the states and would be worth a little less.A gt of any year is a value in Europe however americans always opt for the spyder.A U.S. non chairs car is worth about 10 - 20 g's les than a chs&flrs gts.
    Just about all parts are still available though pricey and difficult to find.
    Points to watch for are rotted gas tanks/collision damage and poor maintainance...look for records and low mileage.
    Expect to pay $110 for the best and 70 -80 for mediocre gts,
    a gt max'es out at @70,000.
    Michael

3. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Michael,

Thanks for the info, i was thinking about 75-80k. Chairs i take it are the seats? I do like the GTS. Do you know of a website i can visit to educate myself a bit more?

thanks,
    vince

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
  5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    before you start looking for a car, you need to decide what you want. the chairs and flairs option were actually 2 different option. the chairs look good and command a premium. the flares are a matter of personal taste. i do not like them and consider them to take away from the car. i would never pay more for such a car. the flared cars came with campagnolo wheels. many people have retroed these wheels to thier cars. just because the car has these does not mean it's a "flared" car. keep in mind a good number of people created chairs and flairs during the restoration process. this was especially easy for the chairs options.

as previously discussed on an ealrier thread, the tools and books are worth $8-10k. if the car doesn't have these, do not pay for them. most sellers see a selling price as acar and not tools and books. the cars you see selling for over $100k have these items.

the first thing i looked for when i bought was an unrestored car. at least that way you know what you are getting. i found an non-restored car that was repainted with no body work in 1990. that was good enough for me to know that there wasn't anything hiding under the paint.

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    A US spec GTS is going to weigh around 500# more than a Euro spec GT. With the power available that may be a consideration for you. Some prefer the cleaner lines of the GT over the GTS. For cruising around, a GTS is great as many people value a sports car with the open-air driving experience. The Euro GT will have the performance edge. I have had a GTS and a GT for years and their looks still grab me. I see them almost everyday and I still say WOW!, that is one cool car!

7. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane

If you don't mind me asking, what is 'chairs and flares'?

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Feb 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Chairs and Flares was the common term placed on a special option package for these 73' and 74' Dino GTS's and a few GT's. the standard Dino came with boring leather high back seats. the most desirable seat at that time by Ferrari was the Daytona connelly leather seat with air cushioned stripes inserted in the seat and backrest area...hence CHAIRS, the Flares package was a 1 inch wider campy wheel along with a quite noticeable steel lip flare extending
    straight out of each wheel well fender surround. I believe the tyres were the same, mich XWX's.To me the overall presence of the package raised the feeling of "this is a real Ferrari" even though Enzo never intended it to be.
    this Package has always commanded a higher resale value than the non equiped ones.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Michael.

It never was a "package" per se.

They were individual options available on the car.

That's why, for concours, it's ok to add the Daytona Seats and not ahve to include the flaired fenders.

11. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    The weight difference between the US and Euro spec cars are no more than approx. 100 lbs. since there are no US spec. bumpers required for the Dino model years. I also can't imagine that a Euro spec car sells for any less than a US model since warranty is no longer an issue.

Try to buy a car whose engine has been rebuilt. The sodium-filled exhaust valves have a tendency to "drop" (read: break off) after many years, resulting in an expensive rebuild (I speak from experience, having dropped $22,000 on a rebuild of my former 1972 246 GTS). It is a great car which is really fun to drive in the twisties!

12. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming. I have a few other cars i have collected, one being a 73 rs and as these cars where made to compete with each other in the day thought it would be nice to have both. I do however, think this is one of the best looking Ferrari's ever built. Question, on my porsche, i can take that car out anytime, run it hard in the hills, put in away and not have to worry. What about the Ferrari?

thanks,
    vince

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Um, sort of.

If you drive it regularly, and have a good mechanic, this shouldn't be a problem.

But, the Dino is a very different animal than your '73 911, and needs some extra TLC to be happy.

Do good maintenance, drive it weekly, and you can probably thrash it about any time you want. Just warm it up, like 20 minutes of driving, before you try and smash through the hills.

Good hunting, keep me in the loop.

DM

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Michael.

Is the point you are making here that many Euro Spec cars have dubious histories, and ownership is sometimes sketchy?

I have read on occasion that many of the European cars that came to the US came here under shady circumstances, and may not have the best history, cleanest ownership trail, in the world.

One advantage to a US car is there's a clear ownership trail, and title can't pass without it.

DM

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I couldn't Have of said it better....

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 msdesignltd, Feb 8, 2005
  18. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    My 355 is yellow so i thought a yellow one would be nice or red, but that silver really looks nice.

vince

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Got $90K you don't need? I know where there is a very nice silver GTS for sale, private owner, good history on the car, US Spec.

Lemme know,

DM

20. playdr

playdr Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Mike McLean
    Vince, I have a 206 GT. Had the engine completely rebuilt in mid eighties, transmission rebuilt in late eighties, some electircal stuff recently. The car gets used less frequently than I would like and has never given me a reliability problem. Starting merely requires a good battery and after a few turns the engine lites up. I agree with the caution of a slow warmup as the second gear synch needs slow double clutching until up to temp. Mine is yellow, by the way, its the best color for a dino.
    Mike

21. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    So what is the biggest diffeerence of the 206 vs 246?

thanks,
    vince

22. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Not an expert on them, I assume there are some body differences, I have seen both and they look about the same but the roofline was a little different and I didn't really notice any major differences in the body, some trim differences.

The engine is the big difference, the 206 is a 2 liter alloy block and the 246 is a 2.4 litre cast iron block. An extra 85lbs in the 2 motors but the horsepower difference makes up for it and then some.

I have never driven a Ferrari 206 but I own a FIAT Dino 206 and I can only compare that to the 246 I have driven, I think the 206 revs up faster but it could be weight differences since they are very different cars.

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the ferrari 206 is very different from the 246. the 206 has an aluminum body, outside filler cap and shorter wheel base. the 246 also has a change in interiors that wasn't seen at first. the 206 and early 246's have the headrest mounted on the rear bulkhead rather than the seat. the 246 also has a longer wheel base and the fuel cap is hidden behind a door that is released from the levers on the drivers side, later 246's had ac and power windows. the ealry 246's and 206's had manual windows and vinyl, unless optioned.

24. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    See...told you I assumed there was body differences.

25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#25 dm_n_stuff, Feb 9, 2005