Thinking of buying a watch: Opinion(s) needed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a watch: Opinion(s) needed

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by tvrfreak, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

My reaction to this watch is...

1. Revolting

2. Blah

3. Decent

4. Nice

5. Wow!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    TVR, I think it's a nice-looking watch, and it would definitely be flexible for what you are looking for. Now, if it costs a bundle, I'd pass.

My .02 on Movado watches is a result of the typical Movado buyer in my area. The only style you see around here is the black and gold version, the typical wearer of which would point to it and say something like "Now dat's class!" Hop in his 'Vette and try to go pick up some broads. But that doesn't mean it's like that everywhere.

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Price is $1200-ish. Orders of magnitudes cheaper than Patek Phillippe. I got my wife one of those a couple of years ago, and I am still reeling!

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's not too crazy. Plus, it's unique. I say 'go for it'.

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Very classy - I vote yes

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Many if the watches posted are quite handsome. For me, I do not wear one. For fun, do what I do: If you are in China or have a friend going there, get a dozen fake Rolex watches at a time. Wear them until somebody comments on your watch. Look at them and say 'ya, its nice...Ya know, my ex-wife gave this to me and you just reminded me how much I hate her!' Take the watch off and say 'Here, it's yours'!

Only about half the people I have done this to over the last three years has called me back and said 'Good one-ya got me!', when they found out it was a fake. One friend I see once in a while still tells me how much he likes his ten thousand dollar watch! Its a hoot!

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Even better, throw it against a brick wall. Then go to your glove caompartment and break your "spare". Gawd damn funny!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    tvrfreak,

Well, she should have received the $1,200 watch and for you, an Annual Calendar or nice Patek chrono :)

Then again you have the car and with such a nice car, time (like anything in the rear view mirror) is of but little importance :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Enjoy Your Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    I have owned 2 Rolexes (datejust and a Submariner) and since I bought my Breitling Montbrillant neither of them have been worn... Seems like I need a bigger and bigger watch... BTW that watch you posted is beautiful; very clean and 'sophisticated' looking...

9. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Nice looking $200 disposable watch.

As far as Rolex problems go, I have never had anything but excellent experience with my now 20 year old Datejust -- only serviced once (cleaned/oiled), about 5 years ago -- worn 24 hours a day for the first 15 years (in the ocean, shower, hot tub, working on cars, shooting, etc). If they ain't broke, or runnin' slow, don't fix 'em! Rolex is certainly rugged enough, but there are finer chronometers out there (e.g.: PP, GP, UN).

Kind Regards, Chris

10. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    #35 Ontogenetik, Feb 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    it's nice.

these are the ones i wear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Anyone have any bad experiences with Baume and Mercier?

I want something with a leather band and have found a few of these that look nice for under a grand.

12. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    What are you referring to?

Ontogenetik,
    I like the Tissot on the right...the one on the left is a bit weird. Why do the numbers go up to 30, not 60?

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I note they go up to 31 - dates.
    --
    Is that you in the Mc?
    --
    If you like the Nomos, as I do - get it. It appears to be (Danger, Will Robinson! Pun!)... timeless.

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yours truly in the F1. Ah, that's the date display...different.

I intend to get the watch this week. Wonder what I'll buy during next week's insomnia. :)

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Omega and Rolex would be my top two picks (for everyday wear).

At the moment, I'm wearing the new Omega Seamaster Professional, model 2531.80.00, I bought last December.

For anyone seriously interested in quality watches, www.timezone.com is the place to go.

16. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    tvrfreak,

I was referring to the watch in the survey, as being IMO a nice looking $200 (approx. dealer cost) disposable watch. Essentially, someone's works in someone else's case, neither one a fine maker. Accordingly, it would possess little or no value if/when the day came in the future that you wanted to trade-up to a fine watch.

You can check this by mentioning to a fine watch dealer that you would like to trade-in your perfect condition one year old "Nomos" towards your purchase of a fine watch, and are interested in knowing the trade-in value of your current watch to help establish your budget.

Kind Regards, Chris

17. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
  18. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    ChrisfromRI, perhaps the used wholesale price will be $200 at some point, just as a car is worth much less when you go to trade it in than when you drive it off the showroom floor. I guess it's not a collectible, which is fine really, as it means I won't have to worry about it too much.

I don't generally expect to pay used wholesale prices when I am buying new retail, though. A little discount would be enough to make me happy.

19. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
  20. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    With due apologies to you all, if it ain't Breitling then it ain't nothing!

I am of course talking about thier mechanical chrono's, like the old navitimer-not the electronic "video game" ones that they also sell.

21. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    How about a Blancpain Extra-Slim Watch?

22. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    #47 Brandi, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    tvrfreak,

Suit yourself.

FYI, my 20 year old s/s Rolex Datejust cost me $800 new, and has been serviced once for $300 five years ago. It has always kept excellent time and been a handsome watch. If I were to walk into a Jewelers to buy another fine watch I would be offered around $1600 as a trade-in. I think that is better service and value than what you will experience with the Nomos, but I could be wrong.

Kind Regards, Chris

24. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    A question for all of you watch afficionados - what would be a good "starter" watch for a young person? Not too expensive, not too cheap (definitely not a fossil!!! haha), something that can go when I dress up (which won't be often, but it would be nice to have that option) and mainly for casual wear... I would like to be able to have a leather band and a steel band and have them interchangeable... is this possible?

Any suggestions?

I do like the nomos, and some of the tissot, also I think there were some suggestions on timezone for a Khaki something, I will have to go check again...

25. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    ralessi,

Your question is a very good one, as many of the watches discussed in this thread are rather expensive for a young person's budget (young is a relative term though).

If you were to shop very carefully using the Internet as a tool it should be possible to buy a GP (Girard Perregaux) GP-90, or an IWC (International Watch Company) Mark Series for around the price of the Nomos initially discussed here. I would suggest considering New Old Stock for older IWC Mark Series that have been sitting around for some time on dealers shelves, to help moderate the price. As a reference, I have seen several GP-90s go for around $1000 on Ebay from reputable sellers. The difference with buying one of these two watches at this price point is that you would actually own a fine watch, from a fine maker. Both are sporty, functional, and would last a lifetime.

If you were to walk up to a watchmaker or watch afficionado and mention GP or IWC, he/she would know the maker immediately and would likely admire their works for their long service life and accuracy. However, if you were to mention Nomos, he/she would say: "huh"?

At this price point you are not likely to receive a matching bracelet with the watch, because what you are paying for are the works. However, the great thing about a strap watch is that you can change the strap as often as you like to change the look of the watch. With sporty strap watches I would suggest one day trying a sharkskin strap, as it is very durable as well as attractive.

If you are looking for a much less expensive watch than this, that is still a step up from the commonplace you might consider a Seiko Kinetic. They are very high tech in that they are quartz but use NO battery, only a generator and a capacitor. You move your wrist and the generator makes electricity which is stored in the capacitor and used to operate a quartz crystal oscillator as an accurate time base in running the watch. This is in contrast to a tradional mechanical automatic where moving your wrist winds a mainspring allowing the escapement to beat as an accurate time base in running the watch.

By no means would I ever consider a quartz watch with a battery. To be sure, one of the cardinal rules is to never unnecessarily open a watch that is running well, as opening it then causes a need for properly re-sealing it. Periodically replacing batteries flies in the face of this concept.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards, Chris