Thinking of buying F40 | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bakes17, May 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Hi,
    I can't get the F40 out of my head and I feel the time is right to buy one. There are several out there but many lack a full history with big gaps.

Anyone interested in selling on here (Must be EU/UK car)

Any advice from owners? I will use it on track and road.

RobertJRB and paulchua like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    best car a car guy can own. you will absolutely be giddy. and you mint spending money on it, as its well worth it. best of luck and enjoy the acquisition!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like he said. Buy the best you can find. It will be in your garage instead of your mechanics and when you sell all the extra you spent will come back.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the best I saw is the one I sold (for a customer) trough Coys auction in August 2015 at Nurburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix. At that time it was an untouched single owner car, real mileage, uncrashed, like new, 1993 Euro car. VIN is 93796: if you find it, buy it (I would need to see it again to check if it's in the same conditions). It should be in Germany/Hungary/Czech

Ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Impeccable timing.

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Love the F40, have owned several. I would pass on the track though, unless you want to upgrade to LM brakes as the stock brakes are useless. Buy the F40 and buy a 458 challenge car for $125k for the track!.

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    And PS do let Joe Sackey help you. I have bought and sold though him and it’s always a pleasure. I am sure he can source euro cars.

Jon Von Bon and ralfabco like this.
  8. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Opinions obviously vary but I don't see a problem with patchy history. Buy on condition, buy at a discount, enjoy the hell out of it, leave it to your kids to sell. :D

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    People forget that the F40 is a road car, albeit one which can be used on the track, but this is one of the reasons Ferrari created a thing called the F40 LM.

Thank you, always happy to help, my cars are available directly from my collector clients via Private Treaty so they are unadvertised, at any given time I have multiple cars available, we just sold a gorgeous Euro F40 last week, paid for and pending delivery, we are always active with them for one simple reason besides our own ownership experience: we love them.

You do make an excellent point, as the cars are @ 30 years old give or take, at this point, what matters most is current condition, which we are always able to ascertain with a thorough inspection. The inspection done right will paint a picture of it's past life and fill in the gaps.
    Maintenance & ownership history is important, as is making sure the car hasn't suffered trauma that has not been properly rectified by Ferrari or a qualified affiliate, but history gaps alone are not a reason to immediately disqualify a car if it meets other criteria, records do lost and not always for the wrong reasons, it isn't a perfect world.

10. rajn72

rajn72 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    My 2 cents. I have owned 2 F40's. A US model and now a Euro car. The US car was a 15K mile car and 8 out of 10 finish wise. The euro car is 10 out of 10. In either case I would buy either again. Drive it. I do. Drive the f40 every other week. Now I have tracked my F40 a few times. I much prefer my radical for the track and the F40 for the drive home... I love driving the F40 around town.. Weekends especially and to the track to go race my SRF or Radical.

Again, I drive everything I own so that's my 2 cents. Nothing better then the pure analog nature of the F40.

Raj..

11. rajn72

rajn72 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    I forgot to add. If an F40 was salvage or burned to the ground I wouldn't care. I'd still buy it and drive the day lights out of it if properly repaired and built. Who cares anyway.

My best friend once told me (before he passed away a few years ago) and who I co-owned my first F40 with. "If I die and you can't use it, burn it"

So drive the crap out of the car and drink a good wine staring at it while it's in the garage...
    Life is too short. Raj...

ShineKen, chrixxx, jjtjr and 4 others like this.
  12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #12 ross, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    nothing against joe, who i like and respect, but you are in europe, so call simon kidston. tell him i sent you ;)

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Since he is in the UK, here are five (5) F40s for sale there https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/search/ferrari/f40 and I am aware of 3 other nice cars that are unadvertised with clients of mine in the UK that can be purchased there.

14. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Most of those cars at 10 of May were all sold, some for some time even. Classic-trader is not a good listing site for updated listings.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, agreed, that said there are still a number F40s available in the UK as of now.