Thinking of getting a Boxer am I crazy?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of getting a Boxer am I crazy??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by martyb, Feb 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #26 Murph, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Remember, if you're in California you need to find a Boxer with a California BAR sticker. It cuts down the available Boxer market for us.

3. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Gary Bobileff's shop here in San Diego might still have the black carbed one.
    I haven't seen it, so can't comment on condition.

4. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    did this whole thing a few months ago...look up the tread on Boxer wanted by 330GT2+2.. keep your 97!! I have a 96 Twin and it's the most enjoyable car I have ever owned....The Boxer is not the daily driver the Turbo is, but getting her out in the open...that's where it shines...can't beat the sound, either..they are apples and oranges by comparison...by all means get a Boxer.

5. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    In a perfect world I would keep the S and just buy a F-car. Space and funds being an issue the S would have to go to a new home to make it happen.

Thanks for all the responses. And I didn't mean Crazy in a bad way!!

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Crippling?? I beg to differ with that statement.

Having previously owned two different 308s, I find that my BBi has better seats, a nicer roomer interior and is much MORE comfortable to drive, especially on long trips.

Last summer I did a 800- mile (round trip) two night weekend event with the local FClub and we had a very fun, exillerating and comfortable drive in the Boxer.

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #32 msdesignltd, Feb 9, 2006
    In all Fairness, I am 5'11"....I cant drive the car with the seat Erect, Period.
    My Head would be twisted to fit.BUT!!!!! Thankfully the Seat does Recline and it feels like a Miura Looks....Laaaaid Back.This Laid back position is not confidence inspiring on the track or anywhere else.However with a Cuban Stogie and a rolled sleeve T shirt I am Right at Home!!!!I could see a person of 6'4" in the totally laid back position....Also the boxer caters to a shorter leg longer arm individual which is typically Italian.Here is a shot of my seat laid back.

I think its called a Guerny Bubble...yeah thats what the Boxer needs to sit in a competitive position!...As in Dan Guerny...Can we Get a Photoshop of a Boxer with a Bubble!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Still 4.

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    To answer the question in this thread, YES! But a good yes. Yes you sound a little crazy. Most boxer owners are. The Boxer is not a car for the timid or weak of heart. Be strong, be proud. Go for it!
    :)
    BT

10. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Yes, that is 4 3-barrel Webers as opposed to the Daytona's 6 2-barrels.

11. LW RedTR

LW RedTR Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    California
    Yes. I just traded my 2003 Viper with polished and ported engine, 530 hp, 565 torque, in on a 380 hp 354 torque 88 Testarossa. Before that I had 911's, C5 Vettes, etc. all modern, all faster better handling, and far better braked.

I'll let you know what I think later, but for now, it is about as much of a fun move as I've made in cars in over 25 years. I'm really looking forward to driving without any assists, in yestertech. That was the best part of the Viper, and this is two more cylinders.

12. andy tymkiw

andy tymkiw Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Santa Barbar CA
    Full Name:
    andrew tymkiw
    Having owned a BBi s for the past five years, it's a Ferrari of grand proportions - looks, sound, power and a feel all it's own. Considering the price value, it's a no brainer in today's market. I also own a 96 993TT - no doubt an engineering marvel and a machine in an entirely different performance category. If I had to choose one - the TT always gives the sense of perfect fit, function and performance delivery but it's the Boxer that's more exciting and appealing hands down!

13. boxerboy

boxerboy Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    I received my BB512 frpm FL through Mike Sheehan 2 days after Christmas in 2002. The transaction was seamless, the car as described. I still have the car, it's been a great experience. Understand you are buying a 20+ year old car and have it thoroughly checked by a qualified source.

14. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

Welcome to the Board......Why dont you sign in HERE
    Sounds like you could add 2 serial #'s to our list!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87876

15. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Funny -- I just experienced that yesterday. Didn't even have to get on the road. Within about 3 seconds I realized that indeed the steering wheel was not pointing straight at me.

16. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Go for It!!! I just did!!
    It is one of my favorite Ferrari's that I have owned. I am 6 3" and have no problems.

17. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    #42 LP400S, Mar 5, 2006
  18. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    buying a ferrari is never crazy

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Box is the last affordable handbuilt Ferrari, built with a soul. Their is just something about it, that makes it very speciale. Now they are just cookie cutter production cars, that flow down the line in massive #'s (this is the problem with all marques).

It also delivers a lot of performance.

Look at the pic in post # 42, - Bella Macchina !

20. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I'm prepping my 82' BBI for a 2400 mile round trip to Virginia for FCA nationals in June. After driving to Indy and Muskegan Michigan last year, I found the car quite comfortable. Both trips were in the heat of the summer (95 deg +) as well. The car keep its cool, and the A/C? well, I wasn't freezing but wasn't hot either.

Go for a Boxer. I'm thrilled I did.

Dave

21. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Dave,

I'd like to get as many Boxer owners together as possible during nationals. I will send you a PM with contact info for us here. Can't wait to see everyone thats coming!

DMAX