thinking of moving to NM | FerrariChat

thinking of moving to NM

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Oengus, Dec 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

been to Santa Fe and Taos.....wheres the best places to live?

ty

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You might want to to PM Tazandjan (Terry). He just moved out of NM.

Rifledriver and Oengus like this.
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Out of curiosity why would you want to move to NM?

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Vacationed there a few times about 10 yes ago.
    Really liked it back then……
    Hoping things haven’t changed much lol

love FL but it’s getting way too busy

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Terry moved because of the crime. Wife getting carjacked was last straw.

Oengus and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. I didn't know the full story.

Plus, NM, outside of a few tourist spots, looks no difference than any other western town.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Actually having driven through southern NM a number of times my other half always has the same comment. "This cannot be the Enchanted part." I know there is a big difference from the Northern part. Its like the place is a movie set showing dusty dying little desert towns. Vanishing Point could have been filmed there.

Well you can get Indian blankets and Kuchina dolls there.

We could reroute I 10 and give S NM and El Paso back. I'd have to find a new boot maker though.

greg328, Oengus and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Brian - come join me and the Admiral in Santa Fe! I lived inside the DC beltway for 25 years before coming here; Dad's family came here in 1889 in covered wagons, so it was a sort of homecoming. All I have to do is look up at one of the four mountain ranges surrounding the town to be reminded that there are much bigger things than my little problems. Clean air up here at 7,000 (my house is at 7,700); and I don't miss sweating/humidity.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, greg328, Caphill and 6 others like this.
  9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Chas, as you may well know by now, every place has plusses and minuses. Once you have set down your baseline "wants" and "needs" then you can start selecting the various options. For the perfect climate you buy a place half way up Haleakala on Maui somewhere near Kula which puts you halfway between the wet and dry sides. But then you are miles from health care, grocers and shopping. For overall convenience you pick Crystal City in VA, great shopping, health care, walk to National airport, metro to DC Museums and Kennedy Center, but traffic is a nightmare, surrounded by politicians, and heat and humidity.

Over the years Northern New Mexico in particular has attracted many folk, Georgia O"Keefe, Ginger Rogers, Ted Turner, Paul Allen and my great grand father. The climate is designated "high desert", and the drought has been pretty bad for over twenty years. As Bryan mentioned we are at 7,000 feet in Santa Fe and Taos. Local peaks range from 12,000 to 13,000 feet. Some of the best skiing in the world is outside Taos. But Rio Arriba county has major drug and crime problems. Careful site selection can provide incredible views. You have seen one of Bryan's above. Artists and photographers say the light is most unusual in the surrounding areas. Population is relatively sparse and the resulting traffic is similar. Health care is spotty. There are literally hundreds of galleries in Santa Fe and Taos. The population is multi-cultural - Native Americans (19 Pueblos), Hispanic and Anglo. The population of Santa Fe is about 75,000 with another 75,000 in the county, so the feel is small townish. Definitely four seasons including very cold times somewhat offset by the solar radiation which at this altitude is pretty strong.

Would strongly recommend renting for a good period to get a feel for the place before making any long term commitments.

Two more shots below, sunset two days ago and another view from Bryan's.

Best regards,

Robert

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My dad grew up in Stonewall, Colorado, which is due west from Trinidad. There is a gate there which is the ass end of Vermejo, and is now owed by Ted Turner. How far are you guys from this? Or are you closer to Santa Fe?

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks guys, my wife and I have actually vacationed about 3x in the santa fe taos areas.....we are looking for small town vibe etc etc. Florida is getting way to hectic and busy. Fifteen minutes in a car and your nerves are shot lol.
    I spoke to Tax, he said there's a very good ferrari mechanic in Albuquerque (La Scuderia)

My email is [email protected] if you have any other things to share.

thanks
    chas

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

These are always interesting threads to read - where does one want to live ... I thought you were in Delray Beach area ?

I hate winters and want to be South - not sold on Florida ( I don't golf and have significant sea food allergies ). I think I'd enjoy the boating, but besides that, not sure what I'd do. Plus, I hate the traffic. I've spent a ton of time in AZ and love the area for hiking, motorcycling, climate, scenery ( Grand Canyon, Sedona ), car scene, etc...

Good luck.

MDS

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OK (alleged) “car guys”, like so many other discussions about relocating somewhere, why doesn’t anyone bring up the most important feature (for car guys/gals) regarding any location, driving amenities, i.e. good and plentiful roads for such activity ?
    :rolleyes:

In this particular case, I’m actually mildly interested, as my wife has more than once brought up the subject of northern NM and possibly wanting to live there, but she also knows that easy access, preferably year round to good variety of great driving roads is quite important for me (hence my great appreciation for our current location).

Oengus likes this.
  14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

correct Mike in Delray Beach...the people and traffic are insane........weve been here 6 months and I can't stand it. Takes me 45 minutes to go 14 miles to play golf.
    Looking for less people and some space.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In your part of the state it is beautiful. Most of the Southwest is like that. Beautiful high country and moonscape low country.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    South half straight and flat. Up north in the mountains of both AZ and NM nice mountain roads and not a lot of traffic.

Oengus likes this.
  17. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timo,

A proper answer to your question could go on for pages. There are many many good driving roads around Santa Fe. Check out the Enchanted Circle, The High Road to Taos, the Jemez Mountains trail, and numerous others for starters.

Best regards,

Robert

TTR likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks.
    Like you, I've driven through NM numerous times in past 35+ years, on I-10 & I-40, and other than visiting friends about an hour southeast of Albuquerque 2-3 times in past 10 years, haven't spent much time there nor ventured anywhere north of I-40, but on those trips haven't experienced or seen many, if any, interesting/intriguing driving routes.

19. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Ted Turner's Vermejo Ranch is about 550,000 acres, most of which lies in NM but dies extend into CO as you already know. That area is about 90 miles from Santa Fe and is on the astern side of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains (southern most part of the Rockies). Beautiful terrain but different views than we have here. Side note, my great uncle Elliott Barker of Smokey Bear fame, was once the predator control officer at Vermejo over 110 years ago.

Best regards,

Robert

G. Pepper, Oengus and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is beautiful. I believe the Dupont family also has significant holdings in the area. Are you closer to Taos, then?

21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    We lived in Sterling , NM living there for approx 2 yrs. It was great from the standpoint of small time country living, friendly people, old history. Had a plane & it was Great Flying. I question that I would have enjoyed it as much as I did had I not had the plane. Travel was difficult to commercial air ports. Economy was not good hence we moved to Colorado after the second year. Unbelievable sunsets, nice climate, very good authentic Mexican dishes. Santa Fe was like a trip to Disney World, nothing more than a tourist trap. NM has worsened with the Ca. migration & the liberal mindset.

Texas Forever, Wikdstrate and Oengus like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love the entire desert southwest, but found the perfect pad for me in Colorado. Elevation is 7K feet.
    High summer:
    Some spectacular sunsets.
    Pronghorns graze right up to my window. I had over a hundred elk in my yard a couple weeks back. Lot is 65 acres.
    There's an entrance to Pike National Forest less than three miles away. LOTS of off road opportunities.
    Most winter mornings look like this.

greg328 and Oengus like this.
  23. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Gary,

Where is Sterling, NM? Is it now a ghost town?

Best regards,

Robert

24. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Taos is about 70 miles north of us here in Santa Fe. Actually I live in town and Bryan is half way up Moon Mountain in the Santa Fe National Forest, about three miles away.

Best regards,

Robert

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips