Thinking of selling TR....need help with price! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of selling TR....need help with price!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by henryk, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    atheyg: "I could have..........". Sorry, I don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!! We ALL "could have.........." something, or another, in our lives. Unless you actually did it, that means nothing to me.

2. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I didn't install them yet, I sent them off to be "Jet-Hot" coated. As nice as they looked when I got them back from you, Jet-Hot said only $35.00 to coat both in bright silver (ceramic/aluminum), so I did it. I'll post pics when I get them back.
    Trust me on selling the TR and don't listen to the nay sayers. After all, 64,000 miles is only 4000/year. Just explain to the potential buyer that Ferrari's are meant to be driven and it is actually worse for them to be garage queens. Then turn the potential negative of you doing your own work, into a positive. Tell them that no repair shop would have been as meticulous as you were with your own car (if you have photos of the work in progress as it was being done, this will be a great help). Add that this is your 6th Ferrari so you know them inside and out. You are not lying to anyone, simply finding and accentuating the positive. Good luck!

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Owner service, to me, means more pride and care in the car. I have read many posts where the dealer performed unsatisfactory work.........or even charged for work NOT done. The PO of my car had the F dealer do EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! When I got the car, and later changed the oil, I found the drain plug threads on the oil tank where almost stripped.......I fixed that. Several sheet metal screws where missing in several places. The little brackets, facing the engine, holding the lower panels beneath the fuel pumps where broke off (all 3).........from the previous majors done......by the dealer.

Wow! Henery, that is *exactly* one of the things that I discovered when I worked on my TR. Those little brackets were broken and I had to get out my Lincoln TIG to repair them. No one else would have known.

>I have not decided what I am going to do. I know that I will NOT sell the car for $40K, or anywhere near it. It is just worth more to me than that.

Good for you.

> I feel something is wrong. Didn't many of us agree, in other threads, that these engines are "bullet-proof"? Apparently some of us really don't believe this.

I talked to Nick over at Forza at length - great guy! - about the longevity of the TR engine and he was talking well into the 100 to 200k range. These do have a removable liner that isn't all that difficult to replace.

We were discussing the feasibility of my fabricating up an exhaust for a twin IHI turbo setup, (not 2 hard) and his possible direct coil pack setup for a 12.

The idea still interests me, but there seems to be too little interest from enough 12 cylinder owers for him to do the same direct fire idea for the 12s that he sells for the 8 cylinder.

And why would this be hard to understand? My oldest son's 94 Mustang, despite my not doing anything to it, :) except for changing a balancer/pulley assembly, has over 150k, and is going strong.

What, Ferrari engine not the equal of Ford? I think not.

Expensive to maintain? Hey, as no one here has ever hesitated to remind me when I *****ed, it's a Ferrari..

Well, again, best of luck - Hey, don't forget, if you ever do have another set of test pipes left over - give me a PM! :)

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I must say I totally agree with Jerry (tork1966). Any TR in the forties is a good deal. Maybe their are TRs bought for around 40k, did anyone here get a deal like that? If so....please elaborate on the condition, completeness, and how current the services are. I do remember a decent TR actually selling for something like 46k with something like 50k miles on it....but I believe that is a RARE thing and not as common as people are saying. My TR has many stories and issues, which I'm correcting slowly, and I wouldn't let it go for $49k. They'll have to bury me in it first. It only takes one or two people to cave-in and sell cheap, word gets around and tall tales get told, and then values keep going down. The market just has to start going up some day. But if it doesn't and keeps dropping, then I will get another TR because the value in these cars is incredible. Well....I'm sorry about ranting and raving about these cars, I get emotional sometimes.....even starting to foam at the mouth....so I'll go. Good Luck Hank whatever you decide. If I had the funds I'd take her off your hands.

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jerry: I am glad that you like them. And here, I thought that the welds where just mediocre! I had a set of headers Jet-Hot coated on a TVR Griffith......looked great. As far as the TR is concerned, it is $49K, or nothing!!!!!!!!..........unless I can get more locally.........I will buy you "two" lunches.......haha!

Gabriel: I did not repair the brackets. The dealer used tie-wraps, and I just continued to do so...........it works OK. The removable liners are and EASY fix..........so why the fuss by others????????? I am getting materials ready to make 11 more test pipe sets.

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jeff: I totally agree with you. If one doesn't want to pay the $49K for my car, then he should go and pay $55K for a low mileage 3X8!!!!!!

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

This was last spring, the deal was ready to go I just decided I didn't want a TR.

8. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    atheyg: Well, it seems that by most of the posts..........you should-of!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Henryk
    Clearly you are a knowledgeable enthusiast. I think the issues you are facing are two fold. First, the mileage of the car is "high" in comparison with "typical" comparables; Second, you've done the work yourself and a buyer doesn't know you.

First factor will impact price at some level (as it should, after all, it wears [out]). How much will be determined by the market.

To help deal with the 2nd issue, why not have it inspected by a well regarded dealer (LFSC, AutoSprint or CFM) when you are next in Chicago region? Ask them to give you the equivalent of a PPI. Yes, it'll cost you $500 or so, but you can use this to support your contention that the car has been well cared for and remove some of the concerns around owner maintenance.

Also, remember for most owners, the cost of a major on a TR is what $10 - 12k at an authorized dealer? (20 - 25% of the value of the car). Knowing this has been done recently removes an additional "wild card" and will clearly help price. I've got to believe the "bargain basement" priced TRs out there will have to have an expensive service within a short period of ownership.

HTH & good luck.
    Philip

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    henryk, unless you absolutely need the money, or have to sell this in order to get the next ferrari, then my advice would be not to sell it. $40k is really very little vs the enjoyment that you will get out of it over the next many years. obviously everybody has their own financial restrictions but i am firmly of the opinion that you only go round this life once, and if an object of $40-50k value gives you a lot of pleasure then you should keep it and enjoy it.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I don't know HenryK personally, but he posts in the tech Q&A all the time and from his posts I would not hesitate to buy a car from him. He knows his stuff for sure. And since when is 65K miles a high mileage car? PLEASE people! They tell you not to buy a low mileage "garage queen" then in the same breath, you are told not to buy a high mileage car either. Someone please define high mileage. A car made in 1988 that has 65K miles has been driven 4,000 miles a year for crying out loud. 65,000 miles sounds very "middle of the road" to me. 100,000+ is a high mileage car. TR engines are bulletproof, especially when properly maintained by an enthusiastic and knowledgable owner. Henry, if I had the $49K I would happily buy your car for $49K and tell all my friends how I talked you down from $60k. Don't you dare lower your price! That is more than fair. Look around and find me a halfway decent TR for $40K even with more miles than you have. No way.

Birdman

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

Well said, and if i had $50k i'd beat out your $49k offer ;) Have always wanted a 308 AND a Testaroosa in my stable.

13. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.......you almost have me convinced that I should raise the price to $54.9K.........haha!

I think that I will just wait, since I can't make up my mind at this time........maybe the 80's will come back......history does repeat itself. Also there are no comps to look at......and the nearest TR (with lower miles) for sale is in the mid $60s.

The reason for possibly selling is that I also have a an 83 Boxer. It seems that I just don't drive each car enough to justify having two.

I will only sell my cars at a price that I can buy another one, for the same price.........even if I don't want another one. That is the only "fair" way to sell, and buy something used. Two weeks ago I bought a red/tan 1997 MB SL 320 convert........it is MINT, with almost 35K miles on it.......already have over 36K on it. I bought it from a Lambo dealer in Chicago.........paid $26.5K. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I feel I could still get my money back........hence, a fair deal for me. I was initially looking for a Mondial convert., but the prices where much more than what felt that I could sell it for........hence, no sale. I am glad I bought the MB instead of the Mondial.

I think we all learned a little bit more on prices of "high mileage" TRs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #39 Spasso, Apr 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You know something Henry? I think you need something to brighten up your garage a little........................like a nice YELLOW 308 and some cash on the drivers seat!:D:p:D...........mileage is half way between low and high. PERFECT!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Spasso: I already had a 308 2V, QV, and a 328........now I have the need for 12s.

What would I do with the cash?...........bring the 308 up to my standards?........haha

I do like yellow. I had a yellow 95 Lotus S4S........would like another one some day.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A few months ago when I mentioned to the owner of FOA that I read about a TR selling for $35k at an auction, his response was"...how many do you want for that price...?

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    +

Oh well, I had to try................................