Thinking of trading my ACR for a California..... | FerrariChat

Thinking of trading my ACR for a California.....

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by espvh, Jun 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Hi all, had a 360, sold it and bought an '08 Viper ACR, now thinking of trading it in for California. I think I'm ready to go from race car to more of a GT convertible, anything I should know about the California? Are are certain years better than others? Any specific years with known issues? Thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/california-vs-california-t.634283/
    Good Info/Opinions above: I went from F430 Spider to Cali T, (Also Have a 2010 Viper Convertible) Love the Cali T vs Cali due to the added HP and updates from California. Can't part with the Viper though. Have had one for my wild side since 1995 (you already know what the Viper Can Do) two very different driving experiences. Coupe or Convertible in 14 seconds makes either California a great all-around GT. If you lean to the normally aspirated Cali get 2013-2014 (Cali 30)
    If you get the twin-turbo Cali T 2015-2018
    Good Luck

walman, honda corse and espvh like this.
  3. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Thanks SL, before my 360 I had a '94 RT/10 for 12 years, wild side describes it well, lol!

SLViper1 likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you want the NA V8, shoot for a Cali 30 - years 2013 -4 IIRC - especially if you can find one with the HS package. The sensor/top issues seem less prevalent based on anecdotal evidence from F-chat for the later NA Cali years. Additionally, Calis that sit seem to have more issues than those driven more regularly, so don't be afraid of miles...T

Bill Phillips and espvh like this.
  5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I absolutely agree with this. My ‘13 Cali 30 with HS package has been fantastic in both looks and performance, and you can’t beat the NA exhaust note.

tomc and jsh458ft like this.
  6. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    At the time I was considering a California, I had the option to either go with the original California, California 30 or the California Turbo.

I picked up a 2014 California 30 with 14,000 miles on it.

My reasoning...I feel the original California had more of a classic Ferrari look to it. Versus the California Turbo that's started to get more of a modern look to it inside and out. Also too, if I'm going to get a Ferrari, it's got to be naturally aspirated.

I've always been a fan of the GT cars with front engine and rear drive. I'm also nuts about convertibles. So when this car first came out, I vowed I would one day own one. One of my favourite all times is the 550/575. The California Hood scoop reminds me of the 550.

I also felt there was a higher level of collectability for a front-engine rear-drive naturally aspirated Ferrari. And the prices have gone up fairly well in the past. But that may have been pandemic driven as well. Now with everything going Turbo, naturally aspirated will become a thing of the past.

It's possible I was also a bit swayed because I also have a Porsche 997 turbo. But I don't think so. I was just looking for something more classic. And I feel like I've got a good package with the California 30. The exhaust note is killer, especially when I go through my local tunnel.

It's hard to believe this design is already 13 years old. It still just looks so good inside and out today. People that talk to me on the street about my car can't believe it's already that old.

And lastly, I too have heard that the final years are the best models to own. A bit less problematic and updated.

Best of luck choosing the one you like.

gregwang and espvh like this.