488 - Thinkware DashCam | FerrariChat

488 Thinkware DashCam

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SECRET, Jun 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I'm going to be installing a Thinkware U1000 dash cam on the Pista fairly soon. Has anyone mounted one and had a look at whether it looks better in the center below the mirror or next to the mirror on the passenger side (tucked further up closer to the top of the windshield.

I'll probably be installing it with a BlackVue B124-X battery as well.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Curious to see how it works for you.

SECRET likes this.
  3. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    Im installing the same camera on my pista, placing it to the right of the mirror close to the top.

SECRET likes this.
  4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Quick followup on the install.
    1. I ended up doing a front and rear camera install. The rear camera does slightly block the review view, but to get the best vantage point for video, the top of the rear engine bay window is the best location.
    2. There is a nice big metal bracket behind passenger knee cushion under the dash where the JBL amp is typically mounted for those with the HiFi option on their cars. I didn't option that on my car, so that bracket is good place to put the battery backup. The fuses are right there as well for a fuse tap and the routing up to the windshield is clean and easy. Everything is nicely tucked away.
    3. The Blackvue B-124X or Cellink Neo is a must-have, IMO. It gives the parking mode nearly 16+ hours of additional support with dual cameras set up.
    4. The system has been working well. The batteries charge up from empty in about 40 mins, so if you drive it regularly, you'll easily keep it topped up with a short drive.
    5. The U1000 front camera is much smaller than it looks in photos online. I'll snap some photos of the camera installation locations later when I have a chance.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Any pics of the install?