This board is devaluing Ferraris! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This board is devaluing Ferraris!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Boxer12, Jan 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    too many for my taste...

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #27 GrigioGuy, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know we see a lot of bickering about things like quality, and belts, and performance things, but I dont think it devalues the marque at all, and as others have alluded, it may do just the opposite. Its been said there are some 20K people on Fchat, thats quite a large number for a limited number of cars. Sure, maybe most arent owners, but they want to be someday for the most part.

I always wanted a Ferrari, but thought it would never be possible until I started chatting online. Enthusiastic people can build enthusiasm, and thats what we have. There will always be crapehangers to throw a wrench in the gears, but the more educated people will always see past them, like the belts issues for example. During the last year and a half or so, Cavallino has listed the early 308 steel GTB at $22,000 low, to $35,000 high. The last issue has increased the low value to $25,000. Thats for a car that may not even run. I see no values dropping anywhere accross the entire range, so I doubt this forum would have enough influence to change it much.

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Gary its all about filtering out the noise

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Why are people alarmed when they are confronted with the truth ?

There is no such thing as being qualified to give an opinion on whether or not something is beautiful or not......it simply is or isn't. Thermodynamics and nuclear physics can support the statement....but a subjective view of the "optics" of a car requires no previous experience IMHO. That is a common defence the lousy artists that milk our government sponsored funding use when they receive criticism of their latest $1MM piece of s_ _ _ public sculpture.

There have been lots of threads on F-chat over the years I have been here simply oozing with lust for the body designs of other F-cars....threads that far outnumber (by probably 10-1) those threads bashing the new $5.99.........heh. So no harm done IMHO.

There are lots of people here that can buy the new car or ten of them......they will all make up their minds for themselves......I hate it personally.

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Unless someone exercises thorough editorial control~ which brings a whole other set of biases into play~ there is no alternative on an open forum. This place is a huge resource, both for the uninitiated, who may come on to ask "Thinking about buying an X, are there any issues...?" and have insufficient knowledge to evaluate the merit of the comments or the commenters and for the well-seasoned, who may be looking for past history or comparisons of some sort. Granted, there are comments from a range of people with different qualifications to make them. But, like the jury system, somehow, it usually evens out in the end. A thread like 'do you like the 599' is pretty meaningless since it is largely subjective. Technical threads, or ones addressing market value or 'collectability' (I flinch using that word here) may have more potential to mislead, but the aggressive nature of this board pretty much ensures that if someone says BS about price, that will get corrected in a flurry of follow up responses. I think what you are complaining about Jim is an unavoidable aspect of human nature, and at least among the semi-informed, can prove to be loads of fun, as well as a learning experience.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Try making a post in the Florida section anytime lately.

Post that the sky is blue, you will be inundated with harrassing, insulting and outright vicious attacks by a single participant who is taking it upon himself
    to be sure that everyone gets so turned off to Ferrari Chat, that they dont
    want to come back any longer.

The problem seems to be that the "moderators" have no control and the owner of the site slaps people who continually drag the treads down on the
    wrist with little or no consequence.

In all, it gives Ferrari people a bad name all together.

BHW

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Three was a guy who used to post a lot of FChatt that bought a 328GTS that had won Platinum & Coppa Machina at the last FCA Nationals in Atlanta . That 328 had received a 'front-clip' about a decade earlier due to a serious wreck when new while on a test drive at FAF. The repairs had been done by Bo Pirkle and the car looked like new when he finished...

9. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Examples would be nice.

Much of these comments come from experts, and seasoned owners, and are invaluable to anyone considering a purchase. Posts about previous knowledge of cars are among the best on this site IMO.

Every post here is an opinion; some informed, some not.

So much for Ferrari "chat". If everyone agreed on everything, and avoided critisim, this place would be lucky to be a wiki.

I would disagree - there are just as many "wow nice car", and "great buy" comments to go with the negative. Personally, I don't remember the negatives, but mostly the good buys, such as TomF-1's 328GTS, and the Sewell 308. Both started as eBay-type postings.

What is wrong with nit-picking? Seems like your posts in this thread are nit-picking, i.e using minority examples (even thought you didnt list any examples) to make your case.

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Yeow, ok so it's not just me that did a doubletake - thanks Tillman.
    I thought I was in the twilight zone for a moment when I read his reply to this thread :)

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That car will take at least 20,000 to get into any kind of passable shape. At least. If they get their buy it now, about 50,000 for an 85 Mondial?

Anyway, back on topic, if you listen to any car board that I have seen, there are always plenty of opinions. If I listened, I would have to sell my "POS" Mondial and my almost "POS" 2004 BMW 3 series (yes, dubbed "underpowered" by some on the e46 board). Instead, I have what I think are two fun cars. I can't afford an M3 or a 430, but that doesn't mean the nays sayers are correct. The market will dictate.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I don't think that Boxer12 was referring to the valuable service done when true information about a vehicle is given, hopefully preventing someone from making the wrong purchase. This happens a lot with Ebay cars.

My interpretation of Boxer12's thread was the attitude of some of the posts get really personal for no reason. One thing to strongly disagree, but another thing to cross the line and attempt to put down someone's opinion with non-relevant PERSONAL references or comments. Only as an example as it was directed at me, anal comments like "pot, meet kettle" that had nothing to do with the thread or the post are not necessary in this forum.

Otherwise, Whart summed it up very well.

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Without the numerous "qualified" posters playing devils advocate on this site we would all be subjected to the "stupid" prices people have been paying for muscle cars on Barrett Jackson applied to the average Ferrari as well.

Does anyone have first hand experience paying the outrageous prices for Ferraris in the late 80's/early 90's? Would you admit what you paid or how much you lost later?

Isn't better to have a few people around that "know better"? I would think it would actually strengthen the community, foster ownership and preserve cars that need preserving.

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Internet helps. Period.
    I wish this was around before I bought my first Ferrari 10 years ago.

A potential buyer is more likely to move ahead if they can make an informed opinion. Ten years ago most non Ferrari people just thought they break constantly and cost a fortune to maintain. Hard to get real specifics. Left to their imaginations, most people will think a situation is far worse than reality. An informed buyer can make a choice to buy or not to buy with confidence and therefore be more likely to pull the trigger.

Dave

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Well, they were at least half right... ;>)

Ken

16. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never made money off of the purchase and subsequent sale of any car. Ferrari's are no exception. The best thing I've came up with is buy what you want slightly used, then keep it and drive it forever until the dollars-per-mile gets ridiculously low.

At least a Ferrari has the grin factor to compensate for the loss of hard cash!

Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

17. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Cars de-value by themselves, this board doesn't really have much affect on that.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never made money off of the purchase and subsequent sale of any car. Ferrari's are no exception. The best thing I've came up with is buy what you want slightly used, then keep it and drive it forever until the dollars-per-mile gets ridiculously low.

At least a Ferrari has the grin factor to compensate for the loss of hard cash!

Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I understand what the poster means by "this board is devaluating Ferrari".

I strongly disagree.

What this board really is doing is bring to light the truth about Ferrari. For example the very large thread I was part of about the $16,000 part that really only cost $3,900. This board brings to light the price gouging and bad treatment that owners get. Another example is a set of spark plug wires that from the dealer would cost $1,500 for the set, when you can get the same wires made, with the same OEM parts, for $150.

This is just one of the things that has been brought to light because of this board. Not to mention all the technical help that goes on.

It is not our fault that we get hosed just for owning a Ferrari. This board is invaluable in helping Ferrari owners. If that means that the Ferrari name is getting tarnished, I have news for you. Ferrari, and in my opinion FNA, are the ones responsible for the blemish on the brand, not the owners. So if you want the reputation of Ferrari to remain high, Ferrari should polish up it's reputation not us.

19. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Cars de-value all by themselves, this board doesn't have that much affect on prices.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never made money buying and selling a car. My solution is to buy what i want slightly used, then keep it and drive it forever until the dollars per mile drops significantly.

At least a Ferrari has the Grin-Factor going for it!

Thor
    www.JavelinArt.com

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Half right, twice

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hear hear!...............................

22. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A bald attempt to conform others to ones own desires...

"Have you ever noticed your sh*it is stuff, and other people's stuff is sh*t". - George Carlin

23. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As someone who doesn't yet own a F-car, I want to thank you for your fine work and humbly request that you work harder and faster. I'll happily chip in for whatever caffeine, energy drinks, or steroids are needed to accelerate the process. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way, and I'm sure others will sing your praises and venerate your names (think epic poem) if you can manage to drive the price of a nice 250 Lusso down to, say, something in the mid-50s.

Thank you for your fine work and your future efforts in this worthy endeavor.

=)

24. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

Exactly. I agree. You have bought a depreciating asset. Economics 101. New car depreciate. Rarely does a particular model appreciate. If you think you are going to make money off buying and selling cars forget it.

The prices are market driven. Used cars go down in price with every new model introduced until such point they become old and rare.

Ferrari new car prices are set by factory. Most of the time dealers get premium.

I can't imagine any effect on market prices by pro or con on a chat site.

25. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I hate to disagree with you, but I do not feel that this board has any effect on market values. Oh Sorry, I guess I have stated my opinion.
    Well, I guesss that this board does express opinions in addition to the informative information you can get from ferrari owners. That is probably the best value this board has is its network with owners to discuss problems and isues they have woth owning these temperamental beasts. If you do not like hearing our gripes and complaints and concerns then I suggest not reading them all and if you feel we are overly negative or critical then I would respectfully suggest that you not own one since most views expressed here are very accurate regarding technical issues. You just have to over look the polical and socially negative comments exprfessed here at times.
    Overall, the board is very supportive for F owners though.
    I hope your future Ferrari owners experience is positive and that you have no negative experience or service issues.