This is Completely Screwy | FerrariChat

This is Completely Screwy

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by REMIX, Nov 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#1 REMIX, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Alright this makes no sense to me at all. I am 44 years old and 5'10".

I was a very light smoker. Maybe a half pack a day at best. I have been going to the gym at 4:30am nearly every single day since October of 2007 when my doc told me I was overweight and so close enough to being diabetic that I could smell it.

I weighed 230 lbs when I started.

By late 2008 I was 163 lbs. I was smoking, mind you, but pretty light. But I was also doing 10 mile bike rides and easily 30-40 min elliptical and maintaining my weight. I started eating more around early 2010 and putting on more muscle. Very strict diet, too. I won't go into that.

I got to maybe 185lbs last Thanksgiving and was really lean and cut. I stopped smoking TG day cold turkey last year. Might as well, right?

No change in anything, same exercise, same diet and I shot up to 207lbs by October 1st several weeks ago. I now had a belly and less definition. My blood pressure shot way the hell up to - 145/100 when I took it last beginning of October. I took it a bunch of times through the summer and it was really high.

I've been under a lot of stress and started smoking again right around this Halloween. Not a lot, maybe two cigarettes a day. NO CHANGE in my diet or exercise regime and now I am down 7 lbs and my blood pressure is very close to normal again. I've taken it twice now and it's down way below anything I saw this summer and fall. I am starting to see my abs again, my body is getting leaner and my clothes are fitting better.

I'm compromising with e-cigarettes right now.

This is messed up. WHY was the weight coming back on so fast? And why couldn't I do anything about it? I spent more time exercising and get very stingy with the food and it just kept piling on and my BP just kept going up. Why would quitting smoking drive my BP so high, seven and even eleven months past quitting? And why would smoking bring it back down so drastically?

Anyone wanna explain what that's all about?

2. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Smoking is actually good for you in moderation.

3. REMIX

Smoking what??? LOL.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    It is screwy and I have no definitive answers just some things to ponder. Taking blood pressure is an art NOT a science imo. Where it is taken and how seems to make a difference in my experience. Like going to the doctor just the act of taking the BP test tenses people up especially if you are concerned about it. Do i hold my breath, do I relax, as soon as it tightens do i tense my muscles etc................. so probably some false numbers. If it were taken at home while lying on the couch by a very pretty nurse who you were comfortable with while watching a KOQ episode maybe a different outcome.

Also nicotine certainly screws with the circulatory system. In general lighter and leaner is the way to go as you age. Healthier food types also better and relax about stuff.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    One point about BP. More thinking that the lowest you can get the number is not appropriate (makes sense--what wears hoses out in cooling systems in cars--the lowest pressure/lowest temp, or running at high speed). There is a shift to checking BP throughout the day--like recording what it is when you are running around crazy, people yelling at you, on your third cup of coffee, etc.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    my vote would be that your brain can screw you up every time. When we do sole searching or look in hindsight with clear vision we often realize that 95% of our problems are caused by our own actions.

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    This might answer your question:

Quitting smoking makes you fat, and now scientists know why
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20070485-10391704.html

But what you should do is this:
    Stop smoking and add one of these great supplements that are known
    to help lost weight:
    -7 Keto
    -Rhodiola

Look into them, they're amazing.

Wes

8. kdumph

kdumph Karting

Sep 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kit
    Simple bud, your aging and your genes are working against you. There is also a number of studies out there that promote that smoking does speed up your metabolism. Hints why so many skinny smokers are very vascular. Getting old sucks....buy a Ferrari and enjoy the rest of life as you will:)

In regards to supplements, be very careful and seek professional as in MD advice before taking any. You can vary easily be wasting your money or doing harm to your body....I stick to the known supplements to play it safe.... Whiskey, Beer and cubans! Its great to be young;)

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I haven't killed anyone with my bare hands since I started smoking.

10. kdumph

kdumph Karting

Sep 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kit
    And here lies the problem?

11. REMIX

I'm pretty much just using protein powder and a few vitamins. I do like this e-Cig though. Pretty much mimics the sensation of smoking, doesn't stink, etc. I don't have the same appetite.

12. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Hahaha.....MDs don't know anything about supplements!

Besides....
    Pharmaceutical Drugs are 62,000 Times More Likely to Kill You than Supplements
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/24/pharmaceutical-drugs-vs-nutritional-supplements.aspx

"In fact, preventable medical injuries in UK hospitals expose you to around the same risk of death as being deployed
    on military service to Afghanistan – both of which are around 300,000 times greater than the risk of death from
    taking natural health products."
    http://www.anh-europe.org/sites/default/files/UK_Bubbles_Graph_2012_9_July_Fin.pdf

Groovy chart:
    http://www.anh-europe.org/sites/default/files/UK_Bubbles_Graph_2012_9_July_Fin.pdf[/url

Wes

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Should probably get a physical with a check on your hormone levels.

14. kdumph

kdumph Karting

Sep 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kit

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Not a bad idea, but from what I have read all of our
    DHEA levels drop so even without checking you can be
    assured it's low. By the time you're 50 it's roughly at 50%
    of what it was when you were younger. That's why DHEA,
    or better yet, 7-Keto helps basically everyone.

Here's a nice article:
    http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2005/may2005_cover_keto_01.htm

Wes

16. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You said you were under stress
    Stress can cause depression/anxiety
    Which some people gain weight from,
    and some people lose weight from.
    I'm a losing weight when under stress guy. Maybe you are a gaining weight under stress guy?
    Just a thought. Could also be that YOU'RE OLD! ;) ;) ;)

17. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    See a doctor about your hypertension, quit smoking, and decrease your calorie intake.

Although you don't think that your eating habits changed when you quit smoking, likely you ate a little more which added to the gradual weight gain.

As we age, our muscle mass decreases and thus our caloric intake requirements go down, but people continue to eat the same amount and thus gain weight. Five years ago, I was trying to put on the Tux that I got married in 15 yrs prior. My wife looked at me and told me that I was never going to fit into that Tux again. At the time, I was 175 lb at 5' 11". Not obese, but typical middle age body. I started P90X and started losing the weight. However, it was not until I changed my caloric intake that I saw a huge improvement.

I have been at 155 lbs the last 5 years and my meals are a breakfast protein shake/protein bar, lunch protein bar/hard boiled egg, and "regular" dinner. Any more than that, I start putting on the weight, even though I work out every day.

I love seeing my obliques now and that Tux is way too big now! BTW, my BP was borderline hypertensive prior to losing the weight (140/80) and now is 120/70.

18. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    +100
    This

19. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve

20. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    A fellow former smoker here. Weight gain after quitting is very normal. Even when I counted calories the body's way of dealing with the physical absence of the chemicals in cigarettes was to pile on the fat. Man is it fast too. 2-3lbs a month when eating "right" is an awful feeling. Also getting fat sucks because then your body just loves getting used to that. The body makes more storage capacity in new fat cells and just can't wait to fill them so you have to eat almost nothing forever to stay even.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My practice centers around weight and lifestyle management.

Father time is catching up with the OP. Slowing metabolism and unhealthy habits will eventually take their toll.

Smoking..... even one or two cigarettes, will constrict blood vessels for several days.... which will show up as increased blood pressure.

Instead of seeking internet advise, and doing trial and error, your best bet would be to see out a doctor who does this kind of work. You will improve you health faster, with less guess work and all the other 'experts' putting in their .02.