This is not good news. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This is not good news.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sboney

sboney Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    The June 21 Autoweek describes the new 2006 S class Mercedes:night vision, a wireless communication interface, electric height adjustable door armrests, electrochromatic roof glass, traffic jam program to allow automatic creep using parking sensors, lane departure warning, cameras in the bumpers for tight parking, floating car data module to recieve information on weather, traffic flow and road conditions from other cars, lights that swivel with the wheels...

Some of this will not make into production or is being considered.

Can't say I would miss any of this if it wasn't there and it all has a Mitsibushi feel to it. Sure wish all of that spending went into more everyday reliablity work and component simplification/reduction. Our family has passed on Mercedes in making two car buying decisions.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So if I crash one, does it count as a failure?

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the nsx currently costs 90k for slightly glorified accord v6 and a 14year old chassis and design....i doublt honda could easily make a an enzo beater and sell it for under 125k.... if they could they would... but no doubt, the jjapanese cars are the most reliable, period.......btw, though i am not a big boxter fan, the wrx feels so tinny, buzzy and cheap that 2x for a boxter almost seems reasonable

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    And how long has Lexus had some of those features?

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you think that the nsx is powered by a glorified honda accord, I feel bad for your ignorance.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Gary: you will be fine iwth a 550.

--Dan

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    He said a glorified accord V6...I'm not sure you can really fault his logic when the TL engine is only 20 less horsepower than NSX.

8. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Yes we can.

Acura TL

Type: V6
    Displacement cu in (cc): 196 (3210)
    Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 270(199) / 6200
    Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 238(322) / 5000
    Redline at RPM: 6800

Honda Accord V6

Displacement cu in (cc): 183 (2997)
    Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 240(177) / 6250
    Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 212(288) / 5000

Acura NSX

Displacement cu in (cc): 194 (3179)
    Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 290(213) / 7100
    Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 224(304) / 5500
    Redline at RPM: 8000

The V6 in the Accord and the TL are apparently, quite different. The TL has an engine that is ~1.2 liters larger, makes 30 more horsepower and 26 more lb-ft of torque.

The NSX engine and the TL engine seem to be somewhat similiar in displacement and power. But then, the NSX redlines at 8,000 and the TL redlines at 6,800.

9. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I'm sure you mean .2 liters larger. I think the overall point was that the NSX is really not that far off from the regular passenger transportation vehicles that Honda makes. This is in reference to the engine only. Which is what the original poster said. :)

And certainly, you can disagree with what the original poster said(which specifically addresses the Accord V6). But you still can't disagree with the point that the NSX engine is woefully lacking and is only 20hp away from a 30K entry luxury vehicle that Honda makes. Not to mention the competition which completely mauls it in straight line acceleration for a much lower price.

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the NSX engine is lacking compared to the competition, but the NSX-R will run with nearly ANY exotic out there on a race track.

As for straight line, well a Z06 is going to beat a Ferrari 360 in a straight line.. so what? I mean, sure the NSX could use more HP, but a 12.9-13.3 second 1/4 is not exactly slow.

I own both a TL and a NSX, and I can assure you the engines feel NOTHING alike.

I think you people that constantly bash the NSX because of the engine need to drive one so you can at least have a valid opinion.

11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Another consideration is reliability vs. durability. My old beater BMW is exceptionally durable. It runs and runs and runs. It has at least 200k miles on it. I even think the transmission is original. It also has about a million little electrical faults though. Non of the on-board electronics work anymore. The various warning systems are basically random. Is it reliable? Stuff breaks all the time, just not the important bits.