this may be the 430M after much research;) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

this may be the 430M after much research;)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bostonmini, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    It looks good indeed!
    Hope Ferrari does something similar as this p-shop.

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Sorry to crash the party BUT any "garden-variety" 308 looks better on it's worst day, IMO.

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Fat girls need love too. Thank god you're there for them!

I'll take that photoshopper over any Magnum PI-mid-life-crisis-overpriced-at- $25k-308 any day, thx.

I do like your 328 though, absolutely beautiful color combo. But it's not enough to get me into the seat of one of those antiques. :)

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Thanks for the compliment! They are defintely antiques but those lines will never quit! :)

5. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Did you sell it yet? Or is it still on the market?

An associate of mine is looking for a nice 328, I'm forwarding him some pics of your car.

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It is still on the market. Let me know if he needs anything. I have lots of pics and all of the original documents. Thanks.

7. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    He has a pic of the real thing? Get him to post it, we will all keep it on the down low!

8. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    That looks good. What the 360 should be, nice touches. And god no please dont put enzo lights on it. Im getting sick of all these lights stretching up into the bodywork.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The olds school of throught was that you prevent air from getting under the car to hold it down (ala spoilers, CanAm era). The low pressure region under the car interacts with the high pressure air above the car to create downforce. 328,348 used this principle.

The new school of thought (ground effects) is that you have the bottom shaped like a wing (smooth with a distinct air channel). In this situation, the more air that runs under the car, the more downforce (Bernouli and all that rot). More air going under the car means that the air has to accelerate in the venturi (more), and this creates a lower low pressure. In addition to providing a lower low pressure under the car, less air travels above the car, so the air pressure above is higher than if less air traveled under the car. So the effect is magnified. 355 and 360 use this principle.

If you look at the venturi designs of the ground effects era (skirts) you will see massive ducts (square foot) to fairly small air channels (10 sq inches) followed by large diffusers. The big duct accelerates the air into the channel with negative pressure rise (like a venturi in a carburetor), the diffuser slows the air back to zero with as little drag as possible. The long air channel transfers the low pressure region into downforce.

A carefully placed rear wing can augment the efficiency of the whole underside aerodynamics when the low pressure region under the wing is proximate with and just behind the rearmost bodywork; allowing the low pressure to reach down the back and into the diffuser.

When the duct maintains a nice laminar flow, air accelerating into the duct pulls the nose down! not pushes it up*. However, the least little disturbance, will cause the accelerating air to become turbulent, and the effect is lost under the whole car. This is one of the reasons that the 360 front has two radiators and a big venturi into which air is ducted.

The modern ground effects ban 'cars' use carefully controlled amounts of air flowing from the nose and sides expanding rapidly into a box shaped duct under the car and rolling at the edge. This creates a vortex that can be controlled and emitted from a diffuser. The vortex causes the low pressure region in the air channel (ala 360GT) which causes the downforce--about half way from CanAm era to venturi era.

*The real work is done by the accelerated air traveling under the car at constant velocity.

See "Race Car Aerodynamics: designing for speed" Joseph Katz.