This site is sure different than the Lotus ones... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site is sure different than the Lotus ones...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Welcome to the forum. This is a great site for real information about Ferrari.
    Some of these members must work for NASA, they are so knowledgeable!

2. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    If you want reliability and something that is probably much MORE fun to drive than either of those... LOTUS ELISE and its new, probably has a warranty.

3. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David

I think that was Ettore Bugatti talking about Bentleys.

My pick would be a Esprit Sport 350. Cheaper and faster than a 355

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have both, a 355 and a Lotus TT V8. I much prefer the Lotus.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The truck holds set of golf clubs and a helmet, what more could you want???

A set of aftermarket shocks/springs work wonders on the handling and don't cost very much. 17 or 18 inch wheels are also a bolt-on mod. The hp is a little (ok a lot) lacking and expensive to improve, maybe 5k to get it to 300hp-320hp with natural aspiration, 10k-30k to get it up to 350-600 with a turbo/blower conversion.

6. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #31 F1Ace, Mar 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the comments guys. I need to respond to some now.

My car is based in a Z, you are correct.

It was suggested I try a few of the cars in question but that's not possible unless I take a flight to Toronto, since there are none of these available near me. So that's why your comments are so valuable.

KIESAN, I would love to hear more from you since you have exactly the experience I want to tap into. From the pictures I have seen of Esprit interiors it would appear they are rather narrow. One picture of the interior seems to indicate the steering wheel is about 3" from the door panel (see for yourself). That seems a bit tight. I know people have critisized the car for a small interior, but I thought they were alluding to it's length, but it appears there's also a width issue. The 308 platform seems much more spacious. How did you feel about it?

And don't get me wrong, I AM thinking about a quick trip to Toronto! There's worse ways to spend a weekend!

Thanks all!
    Wes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Cute. I suggest you spend some real time on this site before you make that determination. Your single-minded fixation with price, price, price is going to cause you grief and Ferrari-grief is way worse than Esprit-grief.

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I have read a lot of postings on this site and find this comment totally unacceptable. I don't know where it comes from and will simply ignore it.

Regards,
    Wes

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good choice :)

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There were two 308GTB Fibreglass on ebay this week.

The grey one went seven days without a single bid! The other red/tan struggled to get to $26K.

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My 'front' trunk has a lot more space than Jerry's car, because I have a space saver spare. Jerry obviously has the full size. The space saver allows me to store a lot more stuff, like paper, the original floor mats, and a few small cans of a favorite beverage. If you decide to go w/ a 3x8, do NOT store your chocolate collection in the 'rear' trunk. I put a thermometer back there when I first got the car, it got up to 115 degrees.

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That front trunk shot isn't my car - It was an azzurro 328 on ebay a few months back (not Aug's). Mine has the same size tire though.

13. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Well, my car was a '94 S4 and I think the interior was bit different than the picture you posted... not so much of that tucked leather and burlwood. I'm guessing the dimensions were about the same, though. I do seem to remember it being a bit cramped and I'm only 5'8". The center console I remember being real intrusive while the 328 doesn't really have one to speak of. Can't say as I remember the steering wheel feeling too close to the door although maybe the door panels and such were different by then. Overall, the interior of my '94 just left me a little flat. Having to steer the car with a wheel out of a Camaro didn't help matters one bit. As I recall the seats were weird too. Either too flat or too wide or something. My 328 has a much more roomy feeling interior although headroom in my GTB is tight. I can't tell you how many times I have ground the button in the top of my baseball cap into my scalp. If I was 6 feet or more it would be a definite concern. All that being said the Lotus was fun, fast and turned many heads. It was yellow/black and when I decided to sell it in 2001 the first guy I contacted (he had posted to a board that he was looking for that color combo) bought it sight unseen for $39k (it only had 9k miles) without blinking an eye.

14. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I'm not sure what's "totally unacceptable" about my opinion but I've read your posts at pistonheads too and your biggest concern revolves around price when you should be worried about finding a quality car. You complain about not being able to find a good car when what you really mean is that you can't find a perfect car for free and you 2nd guess everyone's advice when it doesn't fit your preconceived notions. If you get the wrong car (Ferrari or Lotus), the last thing you'll be worried about is depreciation. More than one person here on Ferrarichat has spent $10k+ getting a car straightened out.

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Mfennel70, is it your purpose in life to follow me around and cause me grief? Get a life!
    My approach is totally reasonable and logical, even if you can't keep all of the facts straight.
    Twisting my words and presenting your views here is lower than low.
    Why don't you simply leave me alone.

16. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not from personal experience, but I am reliably informed that sorting a crap Espirit can also hurt your cash flow too...probably why there's so little space inside (no space needed for your wallet).

You really need to try both cars. At 6'4", 308s, 328s and Espirits were all out for me. I could just about drive the 3x8s, but not safely. Couldn't even start with the Espirit.

Until you've tried to drive these cars, you'll never be able to tell if you can truly live with one (or even get it out of the showroom!).

I can also empathise with mfennell's post. Great car's always exist, but you get what you pay for and shelling out a little more for a better quality car can often save you tears and money in the long run.

17. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Or maybe I just happen to read both boards?

Good luck in your search.