Thoughts on a AAA membership? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on a AAA membership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have AAA and it may be a redundant service as I probly have it on auto ins. and on my new car warranty. However, I have used the $#it out of it over the years. Make sure you get the higher policy which has the 100 miles, which used to be the standard. Otherwise they will just tow you to the nearest town.

I used it the other day when I locked my keys in the car, he was there in 30 min.s

I used it last year when I ran my borthers pickup outta gas there in 45 min.s

It is nice little bit of security. The discounts are a little over rated as other discounts usually will save you more.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    You cannot (no soup for you !). You have to be a regular member for one year and then "apply" for the premier membership. I might get it myself, even though I have towing with my insurance.

3. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Folks don't forgot that there are lots of discounts for AAA members. Ask any big touristy place when your on vacation for a AAA discount they usualy have one. Also AAA discounts food bills from certain resteraunts like El Torito and discounts glasses from places like Lens Crafters. Also you get access to their travel agency which IMHO is the best in the business (my sister has been working in AAA travel for 6 years) and the discounts that go with being one of the biggest travel agencies. Also the 100 miles tow is super beyond handy since nobody here wants to take their car to a local mechanic but rather to the mechanic your used to. I remember 3 years ago I was stuck on the back side of the Angeles Crest Forrest with a shattered clutch disc out in the middle of no where litteraly. AAA plus towed it the 80+ miles back home for free!

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've been a member since (let me check my card) 1987.

In my opinion, the Plus membership is not worth it, unless you plan on a lot of long-dstance towing. Regular membership ($53 in PA) includes towing up to 10 miles, Plus ($86) includes towing up to 100 miles. I've saved over $500 over the years by not going Plus, which pays for a LOT of tows above 10 miles. (They only charge something low like 30 cents a mile above the limits.)

Here are some other tips I've learned:

1. Always ask for a flatbed. It's more safe, and they'll provide one at no additional charge. (You may need to insist a bit, though.)

2. If you need a towing service immediately (like Greg Derian described), don't go through AAA. Call a garage directly for the tow. You'll pay more, but you'll get a lift quickly.

3. Always mention AAA when making any kind of reservation. Often times you'll get 10% off just for asking.

4. AAA is usually very helpful for any kind of state license work: plates, titles, expemtions, etc.

--Bill W. (Just kidding!) --Matt

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

hey Wil, I kinda suspected you were a sausage expert! :)

Ive used AAA in the past, but after a couple 2hr roadside waits, I tossed em. Wish they were a little better with response times. But this might be the product of my Bergen/Passaic/Morris County locale.

6. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Just get it, you never know when it will come in handy. Things I've used it for:

-A few months ago, I was in the car with a friend when her tire blew out. AAA was there in half an hour to replace it.

-Once the car alarm beeper for my car died completely and I couodn't turn off the alarm. NONE of the car documentation mentioned the button under the steering wheel, but AA came and showed us all about it

-When I was little, my mom's car died (it was American) in a parking lot in like Compton (we were at a Chucky Cheese :). AAA came and got us going. I'm not sure what we would have done without it.

It's just so reassuring that you have one phone number that can rescue you from car trouble pretty much no matter where you are. Plus, lots of places give you discounts or special offers if you're an AAA member. Its worth spending the money for some peace of mind.

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Well if you live in California you need AAA. It will avoid the cattle lines at DMV if nothing else!!!!!!!!!

8. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I joined AAA the day after I bought my tiger.

I have used the free towing feature 3 times in two and a half years. :(

In California, you can do a lot of DMV paperwork at the AAA office.

When I bought my car, the VIN on the paperwork did not match the car.
    A couple of zeros in the middle of the number were deleted.

AAA did a VIN verification for me and corrected the paperwork with no hassles.
    I would have been sweating bullets to do that with the DMV drones.

Erich