Thoughts on D-Y-S-er on coil/shock R&R for a 79-308GTB | FerrariChat

Thoughts on D-Y-S-er on coil/shock R&R for a 79-308GTB

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Guys,

As you can guess I’m on a new project, this time shock R&R.

My question is: if very careful due to the compressed spring, can a moderate D-Y-S-er replace the shocks within the spring assemply. I know that is can be dangerous, and best done very carefully, but with the right tools can I do it?

Also, what would be the best tool(s) to use?

Thanks Guys,

Chris.

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Christopher good on you for getting in there and getting your hands dirty mate:D I replaced all four shocks on my old GT4 and its the same principal as the GTB/S.There are spring removal tools that you can buy from automotive stores.I tried with a pair of coil compressors and I found it took too long.I then custom modified the coil compressors and in conjunction with my hydraulic press I was able to remove the springs much quicker and safer.To remove the springs you have to compress the spring enough to be able to remove the semi-circular retaining clips then slowly release the tension on the spring.The first one will be bit hard but by the time you have started the second you will find it easier

3. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Thank you very much for the tutelage!

Did you find that the hydraulic press was necessary?

I saw some coil compressors at a local auto parts store, they’re the ones that operate using a ratchet to torque them down. Would those be appropriate to use?

Thank you very much.

Chris.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Easier & probably cheaper to just remove the shocks w/springs & take them to a local shop to do the spring removal & replacing.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    +1
    I looked at doing it like you, but unless you do it all the time it is best and much safer as Verell suggests.

7. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    When I was a kid I was helping a mate fix his car and he said he knew all about how to remove suspension springs - no problem! But he didn't!! One let go big time, whizzing between him and me and crashing around the garage. By sheer good luck it missed us both, but only just! A scary moment. Be careful.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am aware of a similar situation wherein the spring went through a wall into a laundry room!

You have to be very careful but it can be done.

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Greg's advice is good advice! Be careful. Some, but not all, spring compressors will work in the tight confines of the 308 spring set so you'll have to pick a compressor which is comptatible.

One tip, an easy safety step you can take is to use some good quality rope (I use marine-grade braided line) and run a couple loops around the spring from the top coil to the bottom (on at least two "sides"). You can use the rope solely as a secondary safety drill and release it slowly as the compressor is relieved, or, if you're feeling confident you can use the rope to release the tension (not recommended) and skip the compressor.

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Chris I also bought the same type of ratchet style spring compressors.I found that they didnt really work properly on the 308 springs,so I decided to modify them and using my 12 ton hydraulic press came up with a tool that removed and refitted the springs quicker and easier

11. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thanks again for all of your replies, I really do appreciate it.

I guess that I’ll have to deliberate as too whether I want to chance it doing it myself or not.

The nice part about doing it yourself is that you (I), can be as detailed about the placement of the shock and as fastidious as I want to be about the work.

Thanks again Guys,

Chris.