Thoughts on the 2018 Ford GT? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on the 2018 Ford GT?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by AMG USA, Jan 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    I'm curious to know what the F-Chat community thinks about the new Ford GT, both the car and the pricing in the market which seems to be about $1.3 - $1.5 million. Would you take it over a Senna or any other car in that price range?

I've never had the pleasure to drive a new Ford GT, but it looks incredible, and everything I read about the performance is highly complimentary. Anyone have experience?

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Having seen both this weekend and based purely on looks the Senna is more impressive. It looks far better in person than it does in photos, though the tail is a bit much.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never have and quite possibly never will get to drive either, but I wouldn't buy a Ford GT for $1.3M. That said, P1s don't really carry much of a premium over MSRP, so it's not like the Senna is a bargain at those prices either.

I think the FGT is rarer, more unique, more exclusive, and just cooler because of the uniqueness. I also think it's better looking. Performance seems nowhere near the Senna.

I think if you had to pick, at the same $1.3M price, the Senna is the better deal. There are barely any FGT available and they make make more and more... I could see a $1.3M FGT ending up at $750-800K in a couple years as more get sold and produced.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Ford is the cooler car, but the Senna is the better car. ;)

5. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    The new Ford GT has a certain number of magic points

Linked to LeMans victory

Visual connections to previous gen cars

A real track toy

First North American car in my lifetime to not be a laughingstock relative to the best European and Japanese stuff

I would not bet that value will collapse as they finish the production run as a lot of folks who crave something special from merica want one of these bad boys

That being said on the positive side there are some realities

Based on space and storage and other points, does't appear too easy to live with for daily use

Price point is off relative to performance (can it run with a 720S?) and personalization is limited unless you find stripes to be your kind of personalization

Not really an American car as it is made in Canada

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Would you say the 05/06 GT was a laughed at?
    The new car seems more exclusive, it’s faster, and it does have some racing pedigree. I’d rather have the old one, but judging from the past market, the new cars are t going to depreciate.
    I believe the Senna is a better track car, but it was designed to be.

7. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    The 05/06 was fast, and can be modded to be wicked fast

The soft points in the mix included the disco non functional vents and repurposed truck motor

I don’t recall the worldwide acclaim when it came out like the new one is getting

My understanding was it sold poorly and really benefitted later from kind reminiscence

Remember when Ford (the company that partners with Cheatwagen) sent owners a letter saying don’t drive this pos till we find you some new half shafts

8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Fair points, though while the used market went soft for a couple years, I don’t remember new cars sitting around. I also think being one of the last truely analog cars, along with the CGT, helped push prices back up quickly.
    Yes, the engine was originally in a truck. But it was a still a DOHC v8 like every other super addicting of the time. And it’s an awesome car to drive, even if it’s missing the precision of a Ferrari or Porsche.
    The new car is a giant leap forward. And still has some downsides, imho.
    But it is still a Ford, so it will be looked at differently than the other players.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    The 05-06 FGT has an all aluminum engine, while the Lightning (and GT500) had cast iron blocks. Not really the same engine.

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Great car ..just don't try to flip it within 2 years;)

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The 6 cylinder engine is disappointing.

Matt

titangolf, Isobel and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Ford GT is a more special car imo. Not only did it win the 24 Hours of LeMans to make it more unique, but also is a standalone supercar for the Ford brand. Very rarely have they made something special and I expect the same in the future...

The Senna is "just" another super/hypercar in McLaren's lineup that frequently gets updated and out does the prior model. It's great now while it's still hot and the new thing, but with time will not stand out like the GT will.

I'm 360 Canuck and Jaguar36 like this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Overrated, overpriced imho. Looks good though.

14. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    Thanks for the input. The Ford GT seems to be an awesome car, but impossible to get. Not many better choices at that price point.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    At the Daytona 24 this year they opened up one of the GTs at the Ford display and were letting people sit in them. Unfortunately I don't fit...not like I could afford one anyway.

16. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    That's interesting. Did you adjust the pedals and steering wheel? On those cars, the seat doesn't move. But, I'm led to understand that the GT can handle a pretty tall guy.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am only 6'1 260lbs so not a small guy. The seat was too narrow so I didn't quite fit all the way down in it, and thus, my head was touching the roof. Even if I had fit all the way down in the seat, there would not have been more than an inch or 2 of head room. The legroom and steering wheel seemed fine. I am just too fat.

Obviously a very different car, but I went and sat in an NSX right after that and felt perfectly fine.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Which vents are you referring to that are non functional?

19. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I got an allocation for a 2020 Ford GT. Note the prices quoted are deceiving (2 have sold and they were ~$1.7MM but that's because none have been available since you cant sell them until 2 years has passed). I suspect once people can sell them the prices will be below $1MM. And if you are lucky enough to get an allocation they are $450K base and ~$550-$600K with options so on the second hand market it is a 2X premium at best.

I just love the aero and the uniqueness of the aero going thru the body. My neighbor has one and when my Ferrari is parked next to it, it really makes the Fcar look underwhelming. The downsides is the sound-- turbo's kill great sound. I'm going to look into getting an open exhaust or some other option to beef it up.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What are the chances of neighbors both getting an allocation? How’d you pull that off!?

21. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    He is the #1 Ford dealer in the SE USA so he got one 2 years ago, Unrelated to that, I drive in IMSA, PWC and drove a Ford Mustang GT4 (built by Multimatic who builds the Ford GT) and worked with Multimatic regularly. Our team helped multimatic develop the car, we had several wins and the exposure on tv/magazines helped. I'm sure it didnt hurt that if you goto the Ford Performance website our car was featured there. They were looking for people who track the car (not investor garage queen owners)/had motorsports background/did media/pr/social media to expose Ford brand. I was still lucky and I was surprised I got one.

But yeah it is unusual, he lives on my street about 8 houses away. I've drfven his-- he said I am the only person who has ever driven besides him.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Did you ever run a GT350R built by multimatic? My friend just bought one of the three (i guess one was totaled)

23. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    no but I bet the GT4 was pretty similar.

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very cool, thanks for sharing!