THROW OUT BEARING FLANGE | FerrariChat

THROW OUT BEARING FLANGE

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Nov 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Do you mean the wrench marks? Looks like a caveman was working on this car. I don't know much about how this part functions in the car but the mating surfaces all look good so that wouldn't bother me. Hopefully someone who has done some of this work before can chime in for you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    For me, certain stuff is not worth the risk of a used part. A part like this, is buried. I’d pay the additional cost of new to avoid a possible revision. It’s the labor (my labor I DIY also!)

Especially if you do it yourself, treat yourself. You are saving lots of money on the job anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm OK with it. But then, I'm a risk taker.

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I saw this part as well and where the monkey was hitting it to presumably get off the bolt that holds it in place.

The concern I'd have is along the shaft. If the seals fit nicely and the bearing moves well on the shaft you should be OK. Only concern I'd have is at position zero if the indentations alter the seat of the bearing on the shaft.

edit: If the damage extends to the shaft.. I wouldn't buy it. You'll get a fluid leak there from under the seal.

You a bettin' man? :) IMHO STOOPID expensive for the part it is..

7. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If the base of the large cylinder or the large diameter boss is a sealing surface too for something that travels on it I would not use! If it is a static seal area (no sliding or movement) then maybe you can clean it up on a lathe? You might need to take a close look at the seal sizes in this instance and perhaps change them from stock.

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  8. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Are there any graphics that show how this area works in the car or what the assembly looks like?

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I’ve just done a complete clutch change on my 360 and I changed the flange also together with the TOB.
    Did I need to change it? Probably not, but since I was in there poking around already...

The damage shown on pics won’t affect as the TOB doesn’t travel that far back when not engaged. The springs alone won’t allow it.

IF you buy it, be sure to change all seals and O-rings. Also buy new springs and ”end of stroke pins” / bolts. You should be fine... I think...