Tie downs | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    I am looking for recommendations on tie downs for my recently purchased 98 F355 Spider. i plan to buy an 8 x 20 enclosed trailer for transport and need to secure the vehicle to the 4 floor attachment points. Thank you.

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Will your trailer have e-track in it? If so, tire/wheel nets are going to be your best choice. The e-track would need to be in the correct place for this. No hooks or metal pieces will touch your car.

Several company’s sell e-track and the nets.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tie-down-straps

you may or maynot need the axle straps which can double for going around the wheel. Usually you just need the strap and that can go around the wheel. Use microfiber cloth between the straps and the wheels. Use a pair wheel chocks with bungie cords to pull the chocks into a single tire. This locks the car down from moving and then you will not need to deathgrip the straps onto the wheels and potentially damage the wheel finish. Do not cross straps just pull straight back on all 4 corners. Ship in neutral with or without hand brake on after the car is tied down. A long journey can kill a ferrari battery so be ready for that on the trip's end.

4. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    Thank you for that prompt reply. I am researching e-track and their accessories.

5. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    Thank you for that response and the tips about shipping in neutral and to watch for the battery.

6. DavidRh

DavidRh Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Saline, Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Rhoads
    Thank you for that response and the tips about shipping in neutral and to watch for the battery.

7. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    henryr likes this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is rare that the tiedown points are in the right position for those straps. Do you feel lucky? The "traditional strap" is the traditional strap because it works for all the crazy car, trailer, and tiedown positions.

9. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    L
    The straps are secured on tracks that run the length of my trailer that along each center tire point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I use straps that go over tire and do not interfere with my low 599.

Here is a video of them strapping a 599.

I strapped my 599, easy, no issues and very strong. Did not have to worry about my rims getting damaged. This is just my experience with these straps and I installed the track myself in the trailer bolted through the frame and every 4 inches (not required, but I over engineer everything so no questions about the track being secured)

Texas Forever and colombo2cam like this.
  10. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Buy a 24' trailer if you can. 20' is pretty tight for trying down in the front and leaves no room for tires if you're going to the track or hauling something much bigger than the 355.

11. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have a 22' v nose featherlite trailer and have not needed much more room. In do not have cabinets etc. have three rows of versa track running the entire length. this way I can strap down anything in the bed of the trailer. comes in very handy

BoulderFCar likes this.
  12. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I agree with that statement. My trailer is 20 feet and it is a little tight. The reason is that it is not the length of the trailer, its balancing the car in the trailer to maintain hitch weight for stability. You have to keep the hitch weight in the proper range and that means how far or back you have to keep the car in the trailer before strapping. This is for hitch based trailers that I am speaking of.

colombo2cam and BoulderFCar like this.
  13. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Congrats on the Featherlite. That's what I had and I thought it was a good piece of gear every time I used it. 22' with the V is probably close to 24'. I just thought my 20' was a pain at the end of a track day to get the tie downs right in the front. Especially left front. It works though.

colombo2cam likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  15. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I looked at this trailer and I couldn't wrap my head around how they could claim those fuel savings. The reason is that although the front of a trailer induces drag, it is extremely small versus the drag from the rear of the trailer being pulled back by the low pressure vortices coming off the top, bottom and sides of the trailer once they leave those surfaces. The trailer must slope these surfaces back to each other to bring the air back into a slip stream to eliminate that drag and thus excessive fuel burn. The more you bring those air streams back together, the more efficient the trailer is. I just did not see where that was being done at the rear of the trailer to make those claims. I cannot prove it either way, but my engineering and physics background say I need to see the wind tunnel data.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have never seen on in the "flesh". I love the idea of not needing a large pick up etc. the biggest draw back is the limited use. I have cars other than sports cars. I was also wondering about the interior space when it comes to tying a car down. I am not as young as I once was and like to be able to stand in a trailer.

Texas Forever likes this.