Tie rod hitting top of front sway bar link? | FerrariChat

Tie rod hitting top of front sway bar link?

Discussion in '308/328' started by LOBO1, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    Does anyone see anything wrong with this setup?
    First photo is prior to restoration and the nut appears to be hitting.
    Second photo is after restoration (new bushings, ball joints....everything replaced) and the castle nut on the tie rod is still hitting the top of the sway bar link (both driver and passenger side) when the wheels turn. Occurs with and without a load on the suspension.
    We're stumped, Any thoughts?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #2 thorn, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    I just stared under my car for a few minutes, and don't see how I'd make that happen if I wanted to. So, throwing out a crazy question: have the knuckles been replaced with the wrong parts?

Something about yours looks wrong to me. Maybe it's the picture. Can you take a better pic showing more behind the wheel area?

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Iirc it will do that at full droop, when the wheels are off and the car is raised off the wheels

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    jack up one corner of suspension and check if it clears

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Me too. Sitting on a comfortable chair under my lift to forget day long IT-issues :) And on my suspension these parts are 40-50mm distant from each other. Is it possible to achieve that by mixing up right/left side parts? Especially the steering lever?
    I should also see a picture, which shows the axle stub / knuckles from behind the brake disc.

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
  7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Why should it? With this geometry the lower wishbone has almost the same travel like the steering arm. And he said, that it occurs also with load on the suspension.
    Anyway, there's something terribly wrong.

Best Regards
    Martin

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I wondered on this. It looks like the knuckles are on the correct sides, as the taller section is connected to the upper ball joint.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Here's a photo I previously saved that shows there isn't a lot of clearance there at full droop:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Don't know if this is even physically possible to do, but any chance that items 3 and 4 in this SPC are on the wrong sides?

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/308-group/308gtb-gts/steering-box-and-linkage.html

If they should both "angle up" a little bit, but are swapped and "angling down" = that would reduce the clearance. Just thinking out loud...

(Although that tie rod nut and the sway bar link appear to be about the same distance from the lower A-arm pivot axis, the tie rod nut will move vertically the same distance as the lower outer ball joint -- which is further away from the lower A-arm pivot axis. So at max droop, the clearance is reduced and is worst case.)

Was the car drivable in the "before restoration" condition?

Saabguy likes this.
  10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you sure about this? In the photo I posted, some of the lower ball joint housing shows below the backing plate; whereas, on the OP's photo, it looks like the backing plate extends well below the lower ball joint housing.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #11 thorn, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Not as much as I'd like. I agree with your theory on the angle might increase if the sides were swapped. This particular post is becoming a brain twisting splinter in my mind...

Also I'm laying under the car with the wheels on... wish I had a clear view of mine.

But, it does look like the knuckle isn't mirrored from top-to-bottom, and that the shorter 'leg' is the lower one.

Edit:

OP - just to confirm, the tie rod nut DOES hit the sway link with wheels on the ground?

12. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    We don't know if the car was driveable before the rebuild, as we started the work with the engine already removed (also being rebuilt). It's quite possible items 3 and 4 in the above linked drawing were previously reversed, as the issue appears to have been present, prior to us rebuilding the suspension. We believe the spindle is correct; "taller" side on top, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

In the first batch of photos, the one with the tape measure is with wheels on the ground. The tie rod/sway bar link contact is present (hardly any difference) with and without a load on the suspension.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    the suspension has somewhere around 3 inches of droop when jacked up that's why. all the op needs to do is jack up the corner and we will see, or both actually incase the sway bar is limiting the travel, or disconnect the link and jack up the corner

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    and at rest the sway bar is 90 degrees to the ground, the rest of the a arms are 90 degrees at minimum, just look at how much the coils are open on the springs

15. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    I think this is just a difference in photograph angles. Our photo is looking slightly down, your photo is looking slightly up.
    We did investigate the ball joints (original and new) and they have the same height, size.... thought the new ones might have been the issue but didn't see anything that stood out.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    and the tierods are not in the pointed down position when on the wheels. look at the pic, the tierods are pointed downward due to the uncompressed spring,

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    absostone likes this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    are the upper ball joints install in the correct way? I cant recall if there is limited travel of the bolt in one direction or the other

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    just looking for options

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    look at the other end of the upper ball joint does it have a dipped radiused edge like my pics?

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    not sure if it matters but lets exhaust all possibilities

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    earlier you asked about part 3 being swapped Left to right, not sure about that , I cant tell from your pics if there is a specific angle up or down if swapped