Time to buy Rapide or Continental GT (classics in an EV world)? | FerrariChat

Time to buy Rapide or Continental GT (classics in an EV world)?

Discussion in 'British' started by Sunshine1, Nov 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    EVs are coming. In about 10 years, no more ICE sold by manufacturers. It means that many great cars from top manufacturers that are not currently climbing in value may experience a boom in the future just by becoming classics (classics that will not be built anymore, no more ICE engine manufactured).

Do you believe it would be time to start buying used great cars (ICE) such as an Aston Martin Rapide (2011+) or Bentley Continental GT (2004+) as they are likely to be sought after in years from now (in a world dominated by EVs)?

JTSE30 likes this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    No times two.......

sherrillt likes this.
  4. txtony

txtony Rookie

May 3, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sunshine - I am going to say YES. Personally I have no intention to ever owning an EV anything in my driving life. They are absolutely of zero interest to me. Despite the entire infrastructure argument, I am not interested in having something that doesn't give me the engagement and satisfaction (particularly in manual transmission mode).
    Nonetheless, the arguments and debates will continue.

I believe getting something now, even several of what you like, would ease the use on just one car. Depending on your driving level, this spreads out use and wear and tear. To me, it is hard to beat the pinnacle of a particular make/model. Yes, now prices are inflated for all used models but having and keeping something preserved is hard to ever fault.

ScrappyB likes this.
  5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well if you truly beleive they will just become dinosaurs then what's that say about much older ICE classics? The Rapide at least is attractive and while it's useless for anyone except a paraplegic in the rear seats it's still a comfortable and nice look car. I've never driven one though.

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If you are ready, now is the time, opportunities to get the car you want in the best condition seems to be sooner than later. The current forecast is for fewer and fewer new ICE models, at least for the next 10 years, not to mention the incredible amount of nannies being forced via regulation (depending on where in the world you are) that will be a nuisance at best, crippling at worst.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I fear that a time will come when all ICE powered cars will become unusable, due to a combination of legislation and lack of availability of fuel. In that event, very few will retain the value they have now. I don't really care about the value, but I do care about being able to drive my ICE powered cars.

Happily, however, that time is unlikely to come while I am still in a fit condition to drive, so it won't be my problem. In the unlikely event that it does, I shall have my E-type converted to electric power and put my Bentleys in a glass box in my garden where I can admire them as reminders of "the good old days".

staatsof likes this.
  8. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    When do you think that time will come?

9. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you for your messages. I’m in my late 50s, retiring in a few years, will have time to fully enjoy the car collection I’m currently building. I love cars such as the Rapide and GT but would never have considered buying them if the ICE production was still going on for many years to come. With only EVs to be sold in 10 years, I’m contemplating such purchase as long-term value should hold for cars in great conditions.

I think the Rapide (2011-2013 as I prefer the grille in that era) would be the better choice (rare/less models on the streets, more reliable than GTs based on forums).

10. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    100% in agreement with you.

11. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    I’m American living in the United States, I believe our country will be the last one on Earth with a lot of used ICE models (therefore nuisance at best…….I hope…)

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Very difficult to say and it will vary from one country to another. Here in the UK, sales of ICE powered cars will cease in 2030 and hybrids in 2035. The average life expectancy of a run of the mill car is around 12 years. So demand for petrol should be in serious decline after 2040 and eventually it will become uneconomical to service a petrol station network. Diesel may be around for a bit longer, as sales of ICE powered commercial vehicles is not due to cease until between 2035 and 2040 and diesel powered cars tend to have a longer life than petrol powered ones.

Depressing, isn't it?:(

My own life expectancy is due to run out in 2040, so I don't give a toss!:D

13. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    [QUOTE=" Depressing, isn't it?:( My own life expectancy is due to run out in 2040, so I don't give a toss!:D[/QUOTE]

You are right, that’s depressing! I hope my own life expectancy goes to 2050;)