Time to get Back in the Saddle Again. | FerrariChat

Time to get Back in the Saddle Again.

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoLasse, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #1 DinoLasse, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been more than three years now since my long-term Dino ownership was so rudely interrupted. In connection with my move back to Europe in 2013, I sold my US Dino after 19 years of ownership - with a heavy heart. Promised myself to find a Euro Dino in Europe as soon as it became financially possible. That turned out to be last year, 2015/2016. The search for a good - no, make that excellent - Dino was on.

-The Dino I was looking for:
    My previous Dino was a low mileage, mostly original car in near concours condition. It was a Dino to collect and to show, and only occasionally to drive.
    This time, I was looking for a different type of Dino, a car to be driven and enjoyed, modified for more performance, but still authentic and original looking - and in excellent, near show condition. It had to be a Euro GT, preferably in a light metallic color. An earlier, lighter, simpler Dino preferred. An M-series would be perfect. Few owners/long-time ownership preferred. Had to have correct original steering wheel and authentic looking mousehair dash.

- The Dino I found. Or, perhaps that found me.
    I received word of an M-series Dino, no. 02038 coming up for sale right here in Sweden. It had been under the same ownership for 36 years (!), and under complete ground-up restoration for at least 17 years. It was now in the temporary ownership of the restorer/mechanic, and was soon to be completed. The price was high and my interest was lukewarm at first. But as I learned that the engine had been built with the best components available, that it had been balanced and blueprinted, had 10.5:1 pistons, etc., my interest perked up. It even had a machined steel flywheel. Now that is something I really approve of!
    And, yes, it had the original steering wheel. Correct looking mousehair, too.

It had just received a fresh coat of paint. Red, of course. It had been red for decades, but was originally delivered in Argento Auteuil Metallizzato 106-E-1. I love silver Dinos so, with a possible change to the original color, here was my M-series Dino in a light metallic color - just what I wanted. With a motor built for serious, spirited driving! This Dino would be perfect for me!

I managed to negotiate the price down ever so slightly, and in March 2016 I signed a contract for the car. I immediately paid for a color change back to the original Argento. I chose light grey carpets to lighten up the all-black interior a bit. I was also able to buy the parts for a future upgrade to Stratos type intake manifold and IDF carburetors. A second engine lid with a 10 mm higher profile just happened to be available, and I requested to have that painted and prepared as well.

-Completion and delivery: Oh, the best laid plans...
    The car was supposed to have been ready and passed by the mandatory safety inspection by June or July 2016 at the latest. The plan was for me to test drive the car and then perhaps take it to another mechanic for a PPI before the final settlement.
    All those plans came to nought, because the car was not ready until late in December!
    The weather then permitted neither test drive nor safety inspection. I had to buy the pig in a sack, so to speak.

Even worse, the mechanic/restorer had decided a long time ago to quit his business and leave the country for a warmer climate in a far-away land. His lease was up, his air ticket purchased - but the Dino was still not finished in any acceptable way. Of course, he still demanded full payment for a Condition 1 car that we had agreed on! Since he was leaving the country in a couple of days, I had no choice. Backing out of the deal at that point would have cost me too much, and would have wasted the nine months of waiting.

The car arrived on December 20. It looked quite good on the outside, as you can see from the pictures. But the engine was running poorly, popping and backfiring, and many interior details were not acceptably completed. Very disappointing.

Moral of the story: Deal only with well established, reputable dealers/restoration houses when you spend this kind of money on a Dino. Oh well, in my next life, I will know better.

- But on to the positives!
    I now have a rock solid, rust free, ground-up restored (including new oval chassis tubes) - Dino in my garage. It is the version that I wanted, in a color I love and it has an engine built for serious driving. All the issues and problems will be dealt with, one by one. I will be posting here as I work through them, and ask for everyone's help or advice where needed. But I can already tell that when everything is done and completed, this will be an excellent Dino and a very strong performer. I have already adjusted the engine well enough to do a brief test drive around the block, and although it revealed some additional problems, it also showed that the engine is very strong and responsive. Very promising.

Best of all: I am a Dino owner again. The mostly grey Scandinavian winter skies seem a bit bluer now, and the grass a bit greener (where it peeks out from under the snow!). Everything seems right with the world now: A Dino is in my garage again.

The brief test drive brought back all the familiar impressions: The lovely view from the cockpit, the responsive handling, the growling engine ready to roar. They all brought a big grin to my face, a grin I have not yet been able to wipe off my face.

I just can not tell you how good it feels to be Back in the Saddle Again!

Here are some photos of no. 02038
    Photos 1 - 4: Under restoration, year 2000.
    Photo 5: In the previous owner's garage, year 2011. Still red then.
    Photo 6 and 7: Delivery, Dec. 20, 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Wow, congrats...! Lovely colour but then again I might be biased ��

3. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    The prettiest Ferrari ever produced, IMHO.

Wish I had bought one when they were affordable (for me). :)

Congratulations!

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Auguri, Lars! I'm so happy that you finally got the keeper Dino that's made-to-order for your tastes and needs. My second Dino, which I traded three years ago, was silver for 15 years of my ownership. When I changed the color again, it was Rosso Fiorano (almost the color of your metallic Bordeaux Dino). I think that silver is possibly the best color for a Dino, particularly a coupe. May you enjoy many, many happy miles of Dino ownership. Thanks for the story and the great photos. Regards, Fred

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Very nice car and colour, congrats. Looking forward to follow your effort to make the car perfect for you. There is not that much snow this year so you will be enjoying the car on the roads very soon.

Best regards Peter

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you. Bias is allowed here! Your car looks superb. They do look good in silver. A great photo, too.
    Lars

8. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks. Yes, one of the prettiest. But they have other charms and qualities too. Agree that the price is staggering, though - for me too.
    Lars

9. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hi Fred
    Yes, silver is a good color for the Dino. Not quite as stunning as the deep burgundy both you I had, but more practical if you want to drive the car. Every speck of dust was visible on my old car. Silver is quite forgiving and looks good too. Thanks for the wishes, I am going to enjoy this car!
    Best regards,
    Lars

10. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks! And, yes, I can hardly wait for an early spring this year.

Best regards,
    Lars

11. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    DinoLasse - thanks so much for this thread

for those of us on the hunt

this is inspiring

I love the color combo as well

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    great to have you back on board Lars....!

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good to see you back in the saddle Lars!
    That's quite alot you went through but looking at the last photos it looks fantastic and worth the trouble.
    I think it's going to be a great summer...
    Best, Andrew

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Lars,

Stunning! Perfect model, perfect color!!!

Freeman

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great to see so many new people getting into Dinos and in this case back into Dinos. Huge congrats!

16. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars

You are welcome! Glad you found something of interest. Every time I checked into the Dino register (with its photo of a silver Dino), I was reminded of how good the Dino looks in that color.
    Lars

17. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks, Matthias, the years "between Dinos" have seemd like long years. Makes it all that much sweeter to be a Dino owner again!

Lars

18. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hi Andrew!
    Yes, it was not exactly a smooth road and I am still hitting bumps, but it was - and is - all worth it. I already love this car!
    Best,
    Lars

19. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hi Freeman!

Yes, I think it is perfect, too. When I heard about this car it seemed almost destined for me. I am thrilled about it!

Lars

20. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you! I am also surprised and happy to see so many new acquistions. / Lars

21. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #21 DinoLasse, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    The first issue was not much of a problem and was easily fixed, but I list it here anyway.

The problem:
    Engine running poorly at low rpm, popping and stalling. Had to be kept running by pumping the throttle. In other words, the typical symptoms of misadjusted carburetors, and a too lean mixture.

The cause:
    The idle mixture screws had been set to the standard baseline setting of 2 turns out from seated position. This normally works for most engines, but not this one. Apparently, this engine is breathing more freely and needs a bit more fuel.

The remedy:
    I proceeded to do a complete carburetor synchronization and adjustment by following the excellent instructions on the Dino246.com blog (Carb tuning #1 - #6). I highly recommend it:

Dino 246 Restoration Blog

After adjustment I ended up with the mixture screws at 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 turns out! This tells me that the stock idle jets are too small. At least #55 or #60 jets will be needed. That should bring the mixture screws back to more normal settings. I save that for later. For now, the engine idles happily and responds eagerly to throttle input with a strong, throaty sound. Problem solved.

To Rob C.(Nuvolari) who wrote the instructions (I believe) I would like to say this: These are the best instructions I have seen - anywhere, by anybody, at any price. Thank you for making them available online. /Lars

22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just read through Rob's entire blog this morning. Great thread and amazing work. Congrats on a great journey and incredible car.

23. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you! And yes, Rob and Paul seem to be remarkable individuals. And don't forget, their Dad too. The restoration they did together is way beyond the ordinary. Their Dino also happen to be an M-series, so I often use that blog as a reference./ Lars

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Gentlemen thank you so much for the kind words. The blog has not been updated in quite a while and we still have a number of untold stories. Seeing as it is still a popular destination your comments have motivated me to make some new posts starting late next week.

Lars, Paul and I were just yesterday talking about your new Dino. He regularly says that of ALL the Dino's we have seen your previous car looked like the best kept time capsule and proof positive that if well cared for these cars survive the years quite well. As for your new Dino we wish you all the best and congratulations on getting back in the Dino family. I also applaud you for not letting the extremely poor behavior of the seller to spoil your purchase experience. I'm sure that with a little fettering you will end up with an exceptional car that you can put many miles on.

Lastly writing the Dino carburation posts on the blog were one of my favorite to do. Too many mechanics have you think they are magicians where all it takes is a basic understanding of what is happening to properly tune the carbs. It is really quite simple and logical.

25. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #25 DinoLasse, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Rob, it is true that there is no magic or mystery to the carb adjustment. But various other attempts at describing the process have been incomplete and poorly explained. The instructions in the blog are crystal clear and very logical. Can't say enough good things about them!

My old Dino was very special, I agree. I gave it the best care I could. The few times I took it to a judged concours, it always rewarded me with a podium finish. And yet, it had that unmistakable original car feeling. I enjoyed it immensely during all those years. But it did have the extra weight and complexity of both A/C (which I intensely dislike in a sports car) and the the air pump and other emission control hardware. Many times was itching to remove all those items, but it would have ruined the original look and feel of the car, so I resisted the urge. But it was a sweet, sweet Dino and I still miss it.

My new Dino will also be quite original looking but I can allow myself some variations from originality which are to my own liking. Best of all, it will be a strong performer. Many consider the Dino to be a GT, but I do not agree. To me it is a pure sports car - with lots of untapped potential.

Thanks for the congrats, and say hello to Paul from me. Oh, and save one of those engine lights for me. I may have to order one. This car still has the light, but I believe a metal piece making contact with the side of the bulb is missing, so it is non-functional. The light guard/reflector is also broken off and missing.

Lars