348 - Time to lube Shift cables | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Time to lube Shift cables

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Mine is a duel like yours. As for the oil, it is still on my work shelf next to the box with the flywheel kit. Hope I don't need that flywheel for some time. Curious, did you need to do any adjustments on the shifter cables after you did the lube job? Great review of your work by the way on the cables, I need to do it as well.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    no no, no adjustments. By putting them back in exactly as they were it allows me to see the different with no changes. All in all it shifts fine now, I no longer obsess about shift cable adjustments to make the box work better, it was oil and shift box/cable lube issue. My god, the Amsoil GB oil made the car undrivable even when warm coupled with stuff dry cables.. Absolutely hated driving it in those days. Now... its enjoyable, transformed my feelings on the car.

mr308gtb likes this.
  3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I did it, but the car is laid up for a couple days while I wait for a phase sensor.

The cables went from being able to hold it vertically and the sheath sticking in any position, to lifting and dropping the sheath and having it fall under its own weight.

Can't wait to try it out driving. It certainly feels like it drops into gear easier.

sjd

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's amazing on some cars certainly, when you pull those cables out how stiff they are... they physically are hard to manipulate.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

steved033 likes this.
  5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Reviving this to say, if you have shifting problems or it feels stiff or you love your car, you need to do this. I finally got to go for a ride last night (long story chasing a misfire), and it's so much smoother than it was.

Julia and Ferrarium like this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep feels like a newer car, much more enjoyable.

steved033 likes this.
  7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Dumb question, does this procedure apply to F355s as well? Mine really has to be encouraged to go into gear lately.

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    No, 355's have a solid linkage.

sjd

Julia likes this.
  9. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    in the middle of the process.
    when I took the shifter box out. found a total of 6 coins inside (1 was inside the 2 halves !!).

but I am having issue with lubing the shifter cables. also using triflow. but I've periodically spray it over 4 days now (both ends). shifter cables is still slightly "stuck", it won't fall freely if you pull up on it. not sure if that's the best I could of done.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You have to pull the cable up, then spray into the exposed recess t hen work it up and down. If you can pull the cable up all the way, then shake the outside sheath and the cable drops then your good. Does not have to drop like free air. There is a lot of friction in there due to the length. When I pulled mine out I had to push it hard to get it to move. Now it drops slowly when I shake the it. One slightly more than the other. I suspect ATF would be good to use too its more liquid.

bellwilliam likes this.
  11. solana_sc

solana_sc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Oliver
    (Reviving a great thread)
    Eric - I know you're busy with your engine, but do you happen to remember which "lighter than Tri-Flow liquid" lube you used on your shift cables? Thanks!

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric