Timing Belt service/Rip off | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Timing Belt service/Rip off

Discussion in '360/430' started by Joship, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    It was just for the belt service. The car has less than a thousand miles after all the fluids were changed not too long ago. I did try the Ferrari dealer first he quoted me 6-7 thousand. This one was cheaper.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Out of interest, how many hours do they normally book to do these belts

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would take your car to a trusted source before you procede much further.

GL.

4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Depends on what you mean on inspected. To simply verify the date code I'd do it for $100 and a case of white claw Haha. I haven't heard too many stories about belts breaking, but I wouldn't recommend going 20 years. I would imagine that an engine such as this one puts a lot of stress on the timing belts with how high it revs and how many valves it has so changing them is still a good idea. Tensioner failures should be a higher concern.

5. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    i have sparingly driven the car for the past two years and mostly because the last belt service I paid for was in 2013. The car has not sounded as good as when I first got it. I have learned the consequences of broken timing belt can be catastrophic so for the past couple of years i have been extra cautious driving it.
    after I got the car back after the supposed belt change, I was confident of opening it up but I immediately noticed no change it appeared to have not gotten any better than when I brought it in, it lacked low end power and the sound lacked the grunt. I had also earlier noticed that the rear of the panel was undisturbed. When I took the car in I asked the mech. to adjust the timing and see if anything needs be done, he suggested belt service and I expected them to do the belt service and timing as well. The car was no different than when I had taken it in. One would just expect the service shop to be forthcoming opening up the cover and showing it to the customer which would be the only way to resolve it and assuage any fear or suspicion, it is when the service manager started skirting around the issue that I started looking at other possibilities.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    your first post said "Ferrari Dealer". Now you say you went somewhere else. So this was done at some independent used car seller/repair shop, and not a "Ferrari Dealer"?

And now you say the lacking power and sound was there before they did any work and you say didn't change thereafter?

I'm done with this thread (I knew better coming in, but was bored this morning). I guess I'll add "good luck" with your car.

Apollo 11, Mimmo Blue, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I disagree. I trust almost no one. Even the most smiley, reassuring folks have ripped me off. I learn quick.

imahorse likes this.
  8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I don't get why half of you are so skeptical about the OP being skeptical. Lots of people who don't know cars really well get taken advantage of by shops. It happens all the time. The exotic world is no different. Ferrari parts are expensive and I think we all know that belts don't snap as soon as they turn 3 years old. Do you all really think that with that in mind and with how many shady people are in the car world that nobody ever gets screwed over on service? I guarantee it happens way more than you think and since many Ferrari owners don't know how cars work, these shady practices don't get caught.

RedNeck, LorenzoR, KC360 FL and 2 others like this.
  9. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    thank you. all i can say is please be patient there is a little more to it.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Yes the OP is not going to get any love here. It is pretty impossible without great effort to open the back panel pull covers show you the belts and tensioners. He would not know what he was looking at anyway. If a mechanic has to prove that work has been done, He does not want you as a client. You are too much effort. Legal threats and claims of misdeed just do not sound justified. It's an old used car. Stuff breaks and stuff is failing. Changing the belts don't change anything else about the car except the belts. Car repair isn't magic and car mechanics are not magicians. Mechanics are also not mind readers. If you specifically tell the mechanic you car does not feel right because XYZ, he can research your claim to see if there are grounds for your impressions. Changing a belt perfectly does not fix a bad injector or a bad spark plug.

That said you could solve your misgivings about how the car runs just by doing a smog check at any smog place in California. The tail pipe emissions readings tell you how your motor is running. It is all about combustion. If you got weird timing you see it at the tailpipe. If you got 1 cylinder not working you see it at the tailpipe. It costs you $50 bucks to find this out. If you don't want to do this now, you will when your smog comes due at registration.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Fraud is illegal. Incompetence is not. There are many ways to do a legally consumer acceptable job and ride the line to enhance the bottom line. It is also too easy to do a decent job at a fair price for years on end and be rewarded with easy repeat customers. I know a mechanic with customers who leave a stack of 100's in the glove box. He tells the mechanic to take what he needs. Trust is a two-way street.

AClark likes this.
  12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I agree entirely, however the sort of thing the OP is describing isn't exactly unheard of. While a lock and swap wouldn't solve the issue of the car running a little off time, degreeing the cams would, assuming that is the problem. Some places will include that in the major (which is such a vague term). If a cylinder isn't firing I would assume that there would be a CEL as well. I believe the OPs suspicions are not unwarranted.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    The post was nothing more than stating anything more than some inconsistencies in the whole saga.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kes7u likes this.
  14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Fair enough.
    So here’s the thing. A poor running car with old belts will still be a poor running car with new belts. You can’t tell by driving it if the belts are bad or brand new. You likely needed new belts etc due to age, but that apparently wasn’t the source of your performance issues, which may be Plugs, coils, fuel pumps/injectors, battery, sensors and any number of other things.
    The only time belts will be a performance problem is, if they have been done incorrectly.
    At this time, I would assume the bests have been done, but that you have some other mechanical issue, and begin barking down up that tree.
    Do you have any check engine lights on?

15. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    No check engine light. What if the timing is not set right, is it a lot of labor to redo the timing? Nonetheless, my question has been answered i.e. to replace belts the rear panel has to be opened. Thank you.

16. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    My 2 suggestions for you are :
    1) find somebody that knows that can open the 360 firewall to check the condition and built date of the belts to determine if the replace of the belts was done
    2) go to the dealership that has the SD2 Leonardo Ferrari computer that can hook it up and see the timing of the variators. At least this will prove if your exhaust camshafts are properly timed 657 / 657 (right / left bank)
    For the intake it is more complicated, but you get an idea
    Both of my suggestions are relatively simple and cheap and should not require more than 2 hours to check

Joship likes this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Yes, the belt job is done through the back interior panel. Slightly more work with a convertible.
    Aldous is great at showing what’s involved even if you don’t do it yourself.

https://aldousvoice.com/2016/04/24/ferrari-360-engine-timing/

https://aldousvoice.com/technical-articles/

It’s interesting that you said it doesn’t sound the same. Maybe your muffler or cats/precast are kaput. Although it’s still likely that a bad running engine may sound bad as well, as a result and not a symptom on its own.

imahorse likes this.
  18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Also I'd suggest that the OP check the coil packs. They may be failing. My car was running fine but at idle I detected a bit of a miss-- sometimes, not allways. Upon visual inspection there were some cracks evident. I replaced all 8 coils and the problem was gone.

There was never a CEL related to the intermittent coil failures.
    The coils don't usually just drop dead. They can fire, but get weak and misfire = crappy power and performance.

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1
    Also, if as you claim you have proof that the inside access cover or the bottom tray were not removed then how come the car is driving 'un-ferrari like".
    So you're also claiming that not only was no work was done but they also messed with the car?

Sorry for the suspicious response but after having 2 grown kids try to con me as teenagers I grew a thicker skin to complaints.

Apollo 11 and Mimmo Blue like this.
  20. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    ... could the muffler packing be coming apart and causing back pressure ... leading to poor performance?

21. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    For example until four thousand rpm it acts like an ordinary sedan
    The engine fires up early morning but very quickly goes into a closed loop (I don’t know what else to call it ) and gets rather quiet, I can hear the engine noise over mufflers
    Earlier it used to be robust sounding, the shutter on my garage would resonate/reverberate for long after I backed the car out
    Now it fires up and very quickly goes into a stealth mode
    That is the only way I can express it
    Maybe in a few days I will record the sound and post it

22. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    Thanks

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Josh be patient you will figure it out.

Pardon some of the response here..ittakes
    Thick skin sometimes.

24. Joship

Joship Rookie

Jun 10, 2017
    So Cal
    I Don’t take it personally, what I am trying to do might help other Ferrari owners, in due course someone shall recognize it sooner or later
    My best to you

25. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Then maybe you're running on 1 bank only.