Tinting front windshield, worth it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tinting front windshield, worth it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by azzurribaggio, Sep 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That doesn't sound right. I think you're about to find out if your installer is a stand-up person.
    Hope it works out.
    T

2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    50% ceramic LLumar on front and 15% on sides (not so legal). Car is all black and rarely drive with the top up, so not too concerned about the side windows being less than legal.

3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    It sounds like your installer left behind lint under the film.

4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pretty sure that is true for side windows, but NOT front windshield. Only allowed a small strip at the top.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The insurance thing is what would keep me from doing it.

6. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

The above URL has a breakdown by state. I think you can get a tinted windshield, but need a medical waiver. I suspect that also varies by state.
    T

8. mybeans

mybeans Rookie

Oct 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Max
    With the standard 80%-90% windshield tint the cops would never even notice. When I bought my e39 M5 it had windshield tint done already, and I didn't notice for months. Having had it on that car I will never have another car without it. It reduces cabin heat a lot.

9. azzurribaggio

I texted him back and explained the situation along with sending the same pics. Lets see......

tomc likes this.
  10. azzurribaggio

Installer said bring it by Saturday and they will take a look...onto the next step...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Llumar Air Blue 80 on mine. Can’t tell. Legal tint on other windows. The black interior makes it look darker from the side, but front windshield looks stock. I think it helps with cooling. Hardly have to kick the fan up.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm no expert (after-market windscreen tints are illegal here in the UK), but that definitely looks like the windscreen wasn't totally clean when the installation was done, and they have trapped dust/dirt particles between the windscreen and the tint film (It would drive me nuts too!)

13. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    I don't think that is correct about after-market tints being illegal in UK. As far as I know, UK law does not distinguish between factory or after-market tints but stipulates that front windshield and front side windows must have up to 75% and 70% light transmission respectively, but all windows behind the driver can have any tint darkness levels. If the vehicle was first used before 1985, the windshield may be tinted with 70% light transmission.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

Marco

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... which, as I stated previously, is pretty close to exactly what all car and automotive glass manufacturers windows are tinted to when produced to OEM tinted specifications.

Again, that’s why you don’t see new cars being offered with darker (than OEM tint) windshields or front side windows, as the dealer could be held liable in case of an accident/collision, at least in developed societies.
    Perhaps in so-called third-world countries one can get a new car without any regulation restrictions...

Few years ago I produced small batch of obsolete/vintage windshields and other curved glass to a collection of a quite rare make/model vehicles being restored here in the U.S. and one of the requests was to have all windows manufactured with twice the OEM spec tinting.
    When I stated such tinting being illegal, at least in E.U. and U.S., my comment was met with a hearty laugh and reply “The cars belong to a collection of a certain royal family and will end up being used in the country of their reign, so very unlikely any one will issue citations. Besides, even if they were being driven/operated in E.U. or U.S., they’d likely be wearing CD plates”
    And yes, I still required signed release of liability.

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Is there any noticeable degradation of wiper performance with the windshield film?

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a great question. I have not noticed any on my Porsche, but I had just assumed the film was applied to the inside...T

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, I have to admit I never thought about that!:rolleyes::oops:

tomc likes this.
  18. azzurribaggio

Installer checked it out......said those are all "rock chips" taaa daaaaaa! I took a blade and went over some of them and said, " do you hear that? " I really couldn't because it was a noisy environment. So at this point I have two options, keep it as is and realize that maybe the tint made these "rock chips" more visible or take the tint off and clean the glass and see if they are all still there. The latter I eat $300. I'm not a glass expert so I don't know if it's possible to have that many "rock chips" over 13 years. For now I won't do anything but I might try to look at a few other cars that have windshield tint to see if it looks the same. The installer claimed there is no way they would leave THAT much dust or lint on the windshield before applying tint. I do know the installer has a son that also works with him and I'm wondering if his inexperience was this result if he was the one why did mine. They tinted the rest of the car before and that job was perfect. So there it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk