Tipo 151 test drive article out in Octane #197 | FerrariChat

Tipo 151 test drive article out in Octane #197

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Nembo1777, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Today one of the most important and satisfying articles I have ever written in 27 years of toil comes out in the new issue of Octane UK #197: my biography and test drive of the only remaining Maserati Tipo 151 of three built in 1962, a hugely charismatic beast that never got its deserved results. It was a huge honor and thrill to drive one of my absolute icons and realizing that no journalist had ever driven one before in 57 years is very special, definitely a career achievement to remember:) I hope you enjoy reading it! Thanks to Joe Colasacco manager of the collection which owns it and to photog Jerry from Avatar Pro.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    As a subscriber to Octane I can't wait to read the article. On the other hand, I am so jealous of you!!!!!!

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Elliott, thank you, enjoy it and if it makes you feel better it took a lot of preparation and the noise restrictions at Lime Rock were quite severe and it isn't a discreet sounding car:eek::D

4. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Wow, I am not at all jealous! Look forward to read the article!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice, I love this car. Maybe he should bring it to Road America next year. They don't mind noise in Wisconsin and the V8 will love RA's long straightaways. These cars did pretty well up there back in the day. I think it ran 2 years in a row at the RA 500.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Tom, thanks, I love Elkhart Lake as much as I love this car and yes it would be ideal but unfortunately there are no plans for more races because the engine would need a major rebuild due to mileage and so on. I pushed very hard for it to do Le Mans Classic next July but no go. I am enormously grateful that the car was reawakened for my magic day.

F1tommy likes this.
  7. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Congratulations on such a coup Marc!
    I will be queueing at the news stand as soon as Octane appears this month
    I’m sure it will be an excellent read.

Best regards.

Mark.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mark and thanks, it is out in UK newstands today actually, in US ones in ten days or so.

F1tommy likes this.
  9. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    What's wonderful about all of this is that Marc was able to get the 151 back in it's element, a race track and kudos to the owner for letting him do it even if is just a single go. All of these amazing cars need to come out of the garage, even if infrequently, and make some noise on the road or on a track. Thanks to people like Marc and their powers of persuasion, it happens and when they write about it, the rest of us can get a glimpse of what they were like when driven in anger. Marc, did you get some videos of the car in action along with some sound? If so, could you post it without running into any legal or personnel problems with the owner?

3500 GT likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Elliott, very eloquently put, these test drives of major icons are the reason I started writing back in 1992 and are what makes all the hours slaving away on a keyboard worth it. To be able to share what the driving experience is like is validating, it takes it beyond a selfish pleasure.
    Yes I have lots of videos including on board and will post some but I need a few days, lots on my plate here.

3500 GT likes this.
  11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Tipo 151 #006 is retired from racing. I was with Joe and the team at Goodwood, we discussed the 151. “The car tried to kill me ....twice!”

There is great video from The 2015 Revival TT race where #006 is finally sorted out and is chasing down the Cobras to finish 2nd.

3500 GT likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe, yes he certainly had his moments in the car but a third and a second in four years at Goodwood was as good as could be considering the more or less legal cars there.