Tipping- The Audacity of some companies | FerrariChat

Tipping- The Audacity of some companies

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dom, Aug 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I recently returned from a cruise to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary. Everyone knows that on a cruise you are expected to tip the staff at the end of the voyage for good service (yes, we did get good service). On the last evening of the cruise, when I got my room charges bill for review, I noticed that they had gone ahead and charged me $40/day for tips to the staff.

Isn't this a little bit presumptuous of them? Isn't a tip given for good service? How nice of them to assume that I got good service and to assume a fixed price to pay them.

As if that were all, the day after I got back, I orderd some pizza for the family. Since I was paying by credit card, the person on line asked me if I wanted to include a tip. WTF?? I thought a tip was given for good service. I haven't even gotten my pizza and they want a tip??

I have no problem giving tips for good service (or even for so-so service), and I usually tip well, IMO. But I just don't like this new trend of pre-charging the tip.

If they are going to do that, why not just increase the price of the cruise/meal/etc., pay the server more, and not expect a tip?

Am I the only one that doesn't like this trend?

Dom

2. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I agree with what you are saying. However, on the cruise ( I take approximately 3 cruises per year, so I am well versed), most lines ask somewhere in the paperwork if you'd like to tip in cash or have it put on a bill. If you filled out an "onboard charge card" or some sort of "on board expense account" and didn't expressly ask for tipping to be done on your own in cash, then they probably did it for you. Quite possibly, if you look over all your paperwork, you will find this somewhere in fine print.........good luck next time, but your point is still valid.

PC

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Regarding the tip request for the pizza, I would have said NO and contacted the food and beverage manager on the ship (or the excecutive chef) and complained about that practice. Thats pretty rude and cavelier IMO.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Ummm....he had the pizza on shore (the day AFTER he got back from the cruise), so the ship's food manager probably wouldn't much care :)

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    LMAO!!!

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That happened at a hotel I stayed at for 4 days. I freaked out when paying my bill {theft is theft}. I called the Police as soon as the manager tried to talk me into his little way of thinking. I damn near went to court over it. The police convinced me "not to make a big deal over it". I of coursed tipped the woman who cleaned my room all 4 nights, so why bill me for it? I payed half of the bill after 30 minutes of calm talking. They over billed me and as I had one bill, I couldn't pay for my room without leaving my bill short. So I made a threat to call a lawyer and as soon as I started flipping through the yellow pages, I heard "well now..." and that was that. You would be better off punching me in the nose several times, rather than trying to steal from me, because that could get you killed. Boy O boy does stealing p*** me off.
    Now if I was told about this before I cheked in, I would have said "no, I don't think so. I'll make sure the right people get the money". And I would have been set.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That is strange tipping at hotel.Where was this so I can avoid the place?

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    King's Grant Inn, outside of Boston.
    www.kingsgrantinn.com/intro.html

9. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah, I was at a resturant and they went ahead and put in like a $10.00 tip, so I gave them $10.00 less then the bill said and I left $3.00 on the table and left. Then, like an Iraqi on a plane, I was surronded by staff and the manager. I told him I wasnt going to pay a $10.00 and I scooted around him and left, along with 2 of my friends. About 1/2 mile down the road I get flagged down by an officer who says I made off with a free meal. We go back to the resturant and argue, until finally the officer is on my side and I get to go.

Dont eat at Escalantes in Meyerland Plaza...

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Wow... I think they tried to bone you. I've stayed there a few times (and had customers stay there) and I've never hear of such a thing from anyone or experienced it myself.

That is RIDICULOUS.

Regarding the pizza, it's not a big deal really. The reason they ask if you want to add in a tip is because they presume that you want to pay by CC so they ask if you want to put a tip in there. They want/need to pre-run your card to authorize it, and without knowing the tip amount, they can't do that. It's not a rude question at all, IMO. The easy answer would be "I'll give the tip in person, thanks". You can pay by CC and tip in cash - no problem. They ask out of convenience, nothing more.

11. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    that's pretty rotten, i'm glad tipping hasn't become the norm here in oz, as 90% of the goods/services you pay for don't reach expectations anyway.

if i get a cab home on a drunken evening, and the cabbie gets me home smoothly (some cabbies have digital pedals :( ) without making inane banter then i'm likely to round up the fare to the nearest $10.

if the pizza guy turns up quickly with a nice smelling pizza, i'll round up the charge on that.

but being EXPECTED to fork out extra for something that you don't yet know whether you'll enjoy and think is good value for money?

if i go and pay the registration on my car, i don't give the chick behind the counter an extra $5 bucks for doing it, that's factored into the price.

the advertised price of something is an agreement, i agree to pay someone a certain amount for a certain service, if they believe it's werth more, then add more to the price, if i believe it's still value for money, i'll still purchase it.

if i enjoy something in particular, i will return to that merchant for additional services and tell my friends to go there too, more business is better than any tip, and it's not my fault someone took a low paying job there, i'm paying the ORGANISATION for the product, not the person who delivers it.

12. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    I wish more people in the US thought this way. I refuse to tip pizza boys or baristas. Usually unless it is a sit down meal I don't tip. People always get on me about "You know they don't make very much money and they depend on tips." and My standart response is "they took the job know what the wage is. Why should I be their personial welfare system?"

I worked my ass off in the retail bicycle industry for 8 years during highschool and college. In that 8 years I never got a tip for anything. Did I work harder trying to solve problems for people and get them the products they needed without trying to sell crap they didn't need, you betcha. I was more personially involved in the precess than a guy that brings a pizza to you door, but I never saw a tip.

13. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Sorry man, but as a pizza guy all through college I know not tipping the pizza driver is lame. When you factor in gas/insurance/maintenance it ends up being more than a sizeable portion of the low wage paid by the pizza place.

Yes, I took the job knowing the wage but also knowing that most people would tip. To look at it another way, the low wage has the expectation of a tip factored into it. If I was late or messed something up, no tip, no problem. But to stiff me when I arrive early with your order perfect is weak. Also, most places have the driver involved in the store also. I washed plenty of dishes and made plenty of pies in addition to driving all over the place.

In fact, I'd bet your next pizza will be right on time (not a minute early) and less than piping hot. Trust me, the drivers know the cheapskates and those always seem to be the pizzas that "accidentally" have the lid open the whole drive. Ooops, sorry about that.

14. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    sounds like you took a Princess Cruise....

15. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Assumed Tipping is insane, and aggravates the hell out of me. Right now I'm working in Miami and it is rampant. In Atlanta, where I live, it is never done. I think it has ALOT to do with Foreigners. In Miami, where there are a ton of non-Americans I think it is done to remind them of our tipping practices. In Atlanta, a coffee shop that seems to be frequented by many non-Americans does this as well, but it is the ONLY place I can think of. Since I'm on an expense account here in MIA I try not to let it boil my blood too much.

Boston is full of Euros, so that may explain the situation above as well.

Luke.

PS, I've experienced the pizza thing as well. Not a biggie, just the person running your card being lazy, if you ask me.

PPS, I got some food delivered to my room lat night (delivery.cc) and was charged a CONVIENCE FEE (~$2.00) and a SERVICE CHARGE ($5) and when I signed the credit card receipt the driver had the nerve to circle the TIP line. Ugh.... what?

16. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I encounter this almost everyday. Here in Hong Kong, most restaurants put in a 10% service charge automatically even if the service is crap.

17. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    This whole "tip is included" thing really ticks me off too.
    That is the only thing I didn't like about the Bahamas, Atlantis resort. Tip is priced into everything there; even a scoop of ice cream at the ice cream store. Even in the finer dining restaurants it's included and I guess I wouldn't have an issue with it except that the service sucked!! The wait staff has no incentive to really give great service because they are going to get their tip either way. They should really re-think that policy because I have talked to several people that have been there and won't go back due to bad service.
    Bill

18. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

Exactly!! This was what I was thinking after getting a massage at the spa in the Mandarin Oriental here in Miami.

Automatic tip and no "happy ending!" Coincidence??? :)

Luke.

19. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    in the end, to me it's simple.

if you provide me with exactly what i asked for, i give you the money you asked for, business concluded.

if you give me MORE or BETTER than i wanted, i'll consider a tip, and will definitely return in the future and refer you to mates.

if you suck ass, i'll never go back, tell my mates to stay away, and will eternally be annoyed that YOU didn't discount for me putting up with your service.

20. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Anyone have any etiquette for tipping shoe shine guys? I had some time to kill at the airport last week and figured I'd get my shoes cleaned up since they'd taken a bit of a beating lately. Guy did a good job.. charged me $4, so I gave him a $10 and asked for $3 back. He gave me a weird look and asked "$3 back....are you sure?" I couldn't tell if was pissed because I wasn't giving him enough or if he was wondering why I was giving him so much. Left me thoroughly confused.

But yeah, living out of hotels is weird.. I hate getting room service because of all the fees. The delivery fee, service fee, then tip line. They're already getting 35-40%, then the conceirge stands there looking expectant like I should give him a huge tip.. screw that.

-R

21. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I think he just saw a flaw in your math. He did not figure that you were tipping that much. I, personally, would have said 'keep the change' because so few people are honest anymore.

Also, I am with Ash on this one. You do what you are supposed to do, then you stay employed. You go up and beyond, then the tip comes in.

Local sit down restaurants nickel-and-dime us here. There is a plate fee, napkin fee, etc. Add to that the expected tip and you have paid as if there is one more person in your party.

One local restaurant pulled that stunt with the business reporter from the paper, his next article was devoted to it. The restaurant soon closed.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I was recently in the Bahamas, the resort we stayed out charged a 15% gratuity on every drink or meal you purchased...even drinks at the pool bar.