Tips for keeping the back of my tr clean from exhaust? | FerrariChat

Tips for keeping the back of my tr clean from exhaust?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jpanz, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping the back of a tr clean from exhaust?

If you really drive a tr a lot the back of the entire car slowly turns black and doesn't clean off easily! Does anyone do any kind of pretreatment to make it easier to wipe it off after or have any recommendations?

Thanks
    John

2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Just wax it good and the black will wipe off easier. I don't have that problem. Are you sure the exhaust tips stick out like they should when stock?

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    It’s a quicksilver exhaust they look the same as stock for the most part. Apparently it’s the way the air swirls around the back of the car. I was told it’s common on a lot of the older cars. The car recently had a major service and runs great.

I put about 1200 miles on the car this summer and I noticed it toward the end of the summer.

I only took it out on nice sunny days so I didn’t feel the need to wash the car after every drive.

I was told use a lot of wax but I was wondering if there were other options.

Apparently in the older cars the color actually seeps into the paint and eventually won’t come out if not kept clean!!

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I use a quality spray detailer after most drives. I get a lot of particulates (not necessarily exhaust residue) and they wipe off easily. The horizontal surfaces (top of the louvers and bumper) are the main areas I clean frequently.

Natkingcolebasket69 and jpanz like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hes right. Ours is white so it is easily seen after a log drive It slightly discolors the rear of the car. If left long enough it takes a bit of doing to get it off.

jpanz likes this.
  6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Does the engine burn a lot of oil maybe ?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a drop.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ha ha , such a motor I want to see Brian …. :)

Jakuzzi and vincenzo like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have one. Sorry about yours.

blkdiablo33 and MS250 like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Look under it sometime. The lower panel and eventually the rear bumper get it. I have these cars on the hoist all the time. Cars that get driven distances get a light discoloration that doesn't just easily wash off.

jpanz likes this.
  11. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    Like I said it was just serviced. Doesn't seem to burn a lot of oil.

Just to be clear its not like the back of the car is black like soot but you will see a black film developing on the entire back side of the car and it doesn't wipe off easily.

I guess I just have to wipe it down after each ride!

I was thinking maybe spray something on the back of the car and wipe off right after! Thanks for the detail spray tips and wax.

The change in color wont stop me from driving it!!!!:D adds to the patina!

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed John !

All motors/engines use oil, one more than others …

I had to clean the rear bumper after long and hard drives in Europe every time and because of extra waxing it was easy most of the times …

Enjouy your Testarossa to the maxx !

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when this "black dust" would be oil it would be easy to clean off. mostly it is the burned fuel gases what makes the back "black dusty".
    best experience I have made is to use good wax. then you just may take water with a little soap/shampoo and wash all clear again. but also with good wax you can clean off this "black dust". important is also to wax the rear lights. if this "black dust" stays to long on those glasses you not get it away anymore:(

Melvok and jpanz like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't dust. Black dust is from oil.

Melvok likes this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what now???
    you write: it isn´t dust and at the same time you write: black dust ....

may be I not used the right word for "dust" ( english is not my mother language as you know ) but when it is oil/burned oil then it is still a little oily and not hard to remove when fresh.
    my renault 5 turbo 2 uses a lot of oil ( about 1 ltr on 1000 km ) and the car is white so easy to see how dirty it is after hard driving but easy to wipe off this "oily dust"

Natkingcolebasket69 and Melvok like this.
  16. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks!

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats right. Black dust is from oil burning. What collects on the back of them if the motor is any good isn't dust, its a film that sticks to the paint. I clean it off of them all the time.

18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Any unleaded fuel engine creates the black exhaust pipe and therefore the surrounding surfaces get it to. While oil burning causes the same
    type of effect, brand new cars have black exhaust and burn no oil whatsoever if they are using unleaded fuel.