Tire source for BFG comp 2 dried up? | FerrariChat

Tire source for BFG comp 2 dried up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Should have ordered 6 months ago...

Best I can tell, only the BFG COMP2 fit our cars, 225/50/16 front, 255/50/16 rear...

My tires are **cough** cough*** 17 years old :). Never knew, just checked the date code. Look new, I have owned the car 10 years, rarely driven (5000 miles in 10 years)....

So, the fronts are easy to get... the rears, not so much...

Called the dealer, they can't get them... Tire rack says they don't make the rears anymore...

I know, as a last resort, Longstone types in England has tires... but, pretty pricey.

So, options???

They make a 245/50/16 comp 2... The tire will be "stretched" by 10 mm... Not sure that will make a lot of difference...

Could go to a track only tire, like a Toyo... the car hardly gets driven... But then you can't leave the tires in the garage in freezing weather, or they go bad...

Anyone know of someone who stocks the BFG comp2's? Anyone buy any recently???

Thanks,

Bo

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm trying too as I'm getting down to the wear bar indicators. After Discount Tire told me that there were none to be had in the US, I contacted BFG customer service, and (promptly) got an email back saying "contact us again in a few weeks as these are backordered" which has given me a slight glimmer of hope (at least it didn't say "sorry, we're done with those", and they assigned a customer issue # which I also take as a good sign). It's been one week since then, but it wouldn't hurt if you also contacted BFG directly and begged too ;) -- just to let them know we are out there.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tire Rack told me just this week no supply and no word on when from BFG. They typically get word on production schedule if it is even on the schedule.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Will call Tuesday... Tire rack said there are no plans to make the tire as far as they know...

If they do make it again, will buy 4 and hermetically seal it :).

If they don't make them... would toyo proxes be silly? It is a track rated dot tire...

Toyo says not to use on the street... yet its dot rated...

The only other plausible option is the comp2 245/50/16...

Realistically, not sure what if any effect being 10mm narrower would have,,,

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just talked to Tire Rack Wholesale and that is not the message they gave me at all. BFG will be making them, they just are not yet on the schedule.

The only good alternate is the Michelin Pilot Sport but it is an obsolete product so only sold through Coker or Brookfield or whoever the British distributor is. I have them now. Several times the price of the BFG and no better tire.

Toyo is not a good street tire. Its a race tire.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Not only narrower but also smaller. 50% of the width is the sidewall height. Tire is aproximately 3/8(10mm) inch smaller in diameter. So roughly 1 inch less travel per rotation. Negligeable IMHO.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Well, that sounds good to me...

I suppose I should order so they can notify me when available...

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And that is exactly why they called me earlier in the week.

I have perfectly good Michelins that are 10 years old. The set I just bought for the 328 had the lowest tread wear rating I could find. No sense in continuing to replace tires with a lot of tread left.

Look at it this way, they'll have recent production dates.

9. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #9 1TRICK6, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  10. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm in the same situation for my TR. I just picked up the 288 GTO rims that have been listed for a while on EBay/ FChat and can't wait to re-tire them.

I ordered the BFGs from TireRack last week. They told me no production date is scheduled but also that there is no indication the tire was discontinued. We are lucky same period/ early vettes called for the same tires to help with production demand.

Americas tire in SoCal said none in the country when I stopped in last week.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Found two rears in my area (last two in stock). At least the website says so.
    If anyone wants me to pick them up, I will and have them shipped to you.

12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    ill take them

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably ancient production dates. I'd wait for the new ones.

14. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    While the Toyo R888's are a street/track tire, I run them on the street on the TR and also my Rx7 and ZR1. I am cautious in the rain with them, but if its raining when I'm driving, there was a mistake somewhere... And on sunny days these just can't be beat. Given how cheap they are, it's worth trying a set.

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Can someone explain the rain risk? The tires like Toyo proxes have rain grooves, they aren't slicks... Is the issues that they don't have enough grooves?

I wish we knew when the comp 2s are coming out... Couple months wait is no big deal... A year, is....

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    check discount tire. they don't sell tires older than a few years.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I just got a mail from my tire distributor after I aksed him yesterday about the 255/50-16

he has only toyo and michelin in stock, where the last one is double price than the toyo

but even the toyo is not so good in rain, who is diving the F in the rain and if so, you may go a little slowly. important is you have good tires when it is dry and for this the toyo is very good

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I drive the Ferraris in the rain all the time. They don't shrink.

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well said!

20. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Again, the Toyo's a great tires and are okay in the rain. You just can't push it. Ever since I tried the old Kumho Vitoracers, which were also a street/track tire, I have used these kinds of tires on pretty much everything. The cornering power is great. Stickeeeee.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but they get rusty and also have to be cleaned more

my BB and my competition have not seen rain since I have them - 12 years

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rust? Nonsense. Rust is from your salt, not rain water. For over 15 years I have never hesitated to drive the car in the rain and it has zero rust. The car still wins national awards. For quite a while the 328 was my winter commuter and it has no rust either.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where water meets metal there is always rust and the F are not so good protected at that time like today

my competiton never have been driven in snow or on slaty roads and the driver door at the buttom rear has rust a little only from water

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lets see. Germany uses a lot of salt and you don't drive in the rain and you have rust.

I drive a lot in the rain, we don't use salt and I have no rust.

Well gee, I guess you must be right.

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't know how humid is germany but a dry area is super easy on cars. Even if it rains once in a while the car has time to dry even if it was driven in the rain. I personally drove my 308 a lot in summer rain but it has no rust. The car always had enough time to dry properly after the drives. But I also oiled the critical areas.