Tire source for BFG comp 2 dried up? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tire source for BFG comp 2 dried up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #51 Longstone Tyres, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well if it helps our shipping will probably be free. try it see the picture of our basket below

225/50ZR16 Michelin Pilot Sport | Longstone Tyres
    255/50ZR16 Michelin Pilot Sport | Longstone Tyres

I'm not convinced that the BFG tyres are really up to the job. and i generally think a Full blown Michelin tyre is better than pretty much anything else.

However here is the rub; i can write letter and verse to justify the cost of the Michelin Pilote X as an extremely high quality tyre, made in small batches, in an unusual size, with very high specifications etc. However no amount of explaining takes away from the fact it just does amount to a large hole in your credit card bill. they might be worth it, but it is a lot of money.

Have a look at what my wife was luck enough to drive this weekend gone https://www.facebook.com/longstonetyres/videos/pcb.1510494612350577/1510491362350902/?type=3&theater
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've been using the Toyo R888s for a couple of weeks now (had some downtime doing some fluids work), and am actually surprised/pleased. Rolling them around the garage doing the fluids work, they seemed so "sticky" that I was concerned the turning effort would be unacceptably increased, but that doesn't seem to be the case (I'm running them at 2.5 bar). The surprising thing is how quiet they are -- I'm not going to be happy going back to the normal road noise of a fully-treaded tire ;) Will see how long they last next...

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK, I have to retract anything nice I said about the Toyo tires. After about 1200 miles, they were worn down to about 1/2 life (which wasn't a surprise being so soft), but the huge negative was they developed a lot of noise and a very strong vibration that got transmitted into the whole chassis when slowing to a stop. I spent ~8 months of frustration and $s chasing what I though was a bad bearing somewhere because the vibration felt so much a mechanically-induced vibration. Don't know if it was because the loss of rubber made them more "shaky" or if the tread wearing down to increase the road contact to be across the full width caused some "squirming" (since they had no tread blocks), but it was horrible. Just put a set of the BFGoodrich back on and am a happy camper again -- and a shout out to Brian Crall for finding the real cause of the trouble.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sorry the road wasn't a little straighter but glad its quiet again. Good thing I had a Testarossa laying around with good tires on it.

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    After putting Michelin Ps4s on my 36o, I put them on the 512 tr also. Only driven 200 miles but very happy. Sorry to say they don't make them in 16's for the Testarossa boys

6. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    My car has bfgoodrich tires also. Their dry traction is impressive. Wet grip is good. Tread noise is noticeable though not the worst I've experienced.

7. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  8. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    I put the BFGs on my 89 TR in the Fall and just took the car out of storage for a drive in 10 deg Celsius yesterday. Tires felt great, much better than I expected. I am a Michelin guy normally.