Tire won't take air? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tire won't take air?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by randomlambo, Jan 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Well, I do this job with my car "fleet" as well in fall, but never made this experience over decades.

Maybe there is a quite simple explanation. Does your compressor have a water separator? 40° is quite near the freezing point. Further, if you expand air through a nozzle you will observe the Joule-Thomson-Effect, i.e. the gas temperature decreases. You might simply have had ice, being formed from water in the compressed air, blocking the valves in some cases.

If the other suggestions made by others and myself are crap .... ;).

Cheers, Bernhard

2. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Some on this board may not know but in Chicago the current weather is cold, very cold. So, we stay inside and surf FChat. When a simple issue comes up, we love to share experiences to provide assistance and make our misery due to the cold weather a bit lower.

If you can depress the stem on the valve core with a screwdriver and get air to come out of the tire, the valve core/stem is not plugged.

If you can place the chuck on the valve stem and it seals but no air going in, the chuck isn't depressing the stem on the valve core like Rifledriver stated earlier. I had one work the opposite to your situation where the chuck would depress the stem, but not seat on the valve, so it just hissed air. The issue was the valve core was the wrong kind. I replaced it with a standard one and the situation was solved.

So, you have a couple of options, IMO. 1, replace the chuck. 2, replace the valve core.

FYI, it was -4F last night and today it's only going to get to 6F, so........

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have had about enough of this Tom Foolery......and I can't believe I am even responding.
    T
    ake your freaking tire pressure gauge and stick it on the air valve. If the little bar with numbers on it pops out the end........guess what?

If it doesn't pop out......once again....guess what?

As for cold.....give me a break.........if the oil in the compressor isn't frozen up air will come out.

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Shouldn't be more than $300 at the dealer.

(CF will be more)

5. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Just when I think I'm out.........They pull me back IN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UneS2Uwc6xw

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    yes but CF is the only way to go :)

7. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    So, what was the problem!?

8. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Sorry I haven't posted an update because I haven't been to the garage yet - the cars are stored at a garage of our vacation home and I haven't been up there since last weekend. May go again this weekend will definitely post when resolved.

Got a new air chuck extension and some valves just in case :)

9. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I too am voting for the air chuck just not depressing the valve core enough.

However, is there any chance that fix-a-flat has been used in these two wheels/tires?

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    The anticipation is killing me

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Please wake me up when this is over.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Jesus Vince.........cut the guy some slack. You have never experienced the confounding situation of no air going into the tire????? The search for the answer to the problem can take...............................................................................seconds.

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I have experienced the agony, but usually I solve it by pressing the chuck down harder or holding it in that one position that seems to work. I'm a bigger hammer kind of guy.

I'm trying to learn how to be gentler with my air.

14. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I bet those two tires just iced up the valves as you were filling them. Then sure, it could bleed some off if you pressed the core in, and refreeze and plug as you tried to fill again.
    You weren't pushing much more pressure than you were filling to, it sounds like. I think that contributed.

Have you ever noticed your compressor drain freezing and thawing as it drains, stopping the flow intermittently? Do you have a water separator inline?

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Personally, I wouldn't risk any further damage to the tires. These air valves can be tricky business for sure. I'd ship the car to Rifledriver or Dave Helms and have the problem corrected the right way.
    This could affect resale values.

16. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Hi guys sorry I never got to this until today. This was the issue, replaced the chuck with a new one and all is well.

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Thanks for the update.

18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Does this sort of thing show up during a PPI?

19. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    It might be a special request like doing a leak down test.:D:D

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You just won the internet for today. ;)

21. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    I'm sorry I must be the world's biggest idiot [hanging head in shame].

22. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    No one knows what they don't know. Asking questions, even simple ones is how we all learn. FChat is for learning and having fun. Look at what you learned, what we all learned and the fun we had. Even 308 milano posted even if it was to poke fun.

It's all good!

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    ^^ this. We've all been there. Post was just to make light of the situation. Apologies if it came across any differently. ;)

24. No Ferrari here :(

Oct 17, 2018
    Next time, try lowering the output pressure from your compressor. I’m not sure how much less than the 50-55psi you need to go, but try it. Seriously. I had the same issue when trying to put air in my not-a-Ferrari and this solved it.

25. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Simple, of all the stupid replies Rifledriver is the only one to make sense