Tires 612 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tires 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by icelander47, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    From their websites...

Pirelli:
    The mere passage of time (age) does not cause tires to deteriorate, but rather exposure to outside forces. The service life of a tire is a function of service and storage conditions. For each individual tire, this service life is determined by many factors such as temperature/weather, storage conditions, and service conditions (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, maintenance, and road hazard damage, etc.) to which a tire is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the service life of any specific tire based on chronological age is not possible. There is no scientific or technical data that establishes or identifies a minimum or maximum service life, but the longer a tire has been in service, the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to service-related conditions.

Michelin:
    If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

Continental:
    Continental is not aware of any technical data to support the removal from service of tyres past a specific age. But the same principle applies to the tyres of your vehicle as for any other part of your car – age matters. Together with other members of the tyre and automotive industries, Continental advises that all tyres (including spare tyres) made more than ten years ago should be removed from service and replaced with new tyres.

I will say that for performance driving I have always heard track day companies insist that tyres are no older than five years. A week after I bought my 430 I took professional track instruction and the instructor commented on low grip levels. He checked the tyres and they were 8 years old. At that point he postponed the lesson until after I had fitted new tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thank you. Some people like over complicating things. I have some of the most experienced techs in the northeast advising and monitoring me.

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Yup and if they are wrong your estate will have a great lawsuit. But at least your will be a great looking corpse and won’t have overspent on tires!

Seriously, why waste time and money on complicating your life with consultants and advisors to tell you if you need to spend 50 cents to change your tires? Change your tires, oil and underwear regularly and you will be fine. You don’t need consultants to figure that out. ;)

randkin and m5shiv like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    m5shiv and RonH like this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Michelin seem to be the consensus. That’s what Taz recommends (who’s Ferrari knowledge is second to none) and that is what I have on all my cars and I love.

m5shiv and 599_GTO like this.
  7. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    Vredestein Ultrac Vorti is my choice on all my sportscars.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

8. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    I ordered a set of Pilot Sports. Hard to find, but 950 for the set

599_GTO likes this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I changed the 3 year old P Zeros, with plenty of tread left, in my gated 430 and also my DD C63 6.2 wagon, to MPS4Ss. Huge difference in feel, beyond initial turn in. Ride quality is much better. Much more communication of nuances during mid corner handling. I can’t say I have tested ultimate dry weather grip enough to be able to offer an opinion, I have only broken traction a few times on each type of tyre. The difference in favour of the Michelins gets greater for each degree it gets colder, or so it seems. No comparison with wet weather grip, Michelins in a totally different league.

For a 612 I would say the Michelins would be leagues above the Pirellis. For a car more one dimensionally sporting maybe the P Zeros have something to offer on fast roads or tracks on a warm dry day.

Note that MPS4S is a completely different tyre to MPS4. They get confused. I saw a F40 at a concours in France this summer on MPS4. Not the right tyre, made for family cars with spoilers.

m5shiv and RonH like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MPSS tires are almost as good as the MPS4S as long as the build dates are good. They were producing both at the same time for a while. My MPSS tires were nearly timed out (2014) and a flat convinced me to put four new MPS4S tires on her.

Themaven, m5shiv, RonH and 1 other person like this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    regarding dates - have you always checked the tires you buy new? often they are over 2 yrs old, and ive seen up to 4 yrs. so much for putting time horizons on rubber!

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im in the same boat but i feel like the 430 deserves the PS4s and the 612 is big and more GT so it cld be better off by the RE50As!

TheCook likes this.
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, always check the dates. My four were all 2019 builds. Buying from a big supplier like Tire Rack is a pretty good guarantee of relatively fresh tires.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Michelin

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I
    I used to run Bridgestones when I was younger and poorer. I run them on my kid's BMW because he likes drifting with his friends on the weekend and he is highly subsidized !

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  17. LimoParty

LimoParty Rookie

May 16, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Robert
    WOW. That got a bit hot. Surprised to see Michelin recommended over Pirelli on here, but can't argue with that. Though I don't push the P zeros on the limo hard and so I'm happy with them. When I get the m5 back with PS4S on, I'll have more fun and I hope to get more than the 8,000 miles I got out of the PS2. Oh and the PS4S were dated 49/19 while it is 16/20 as I write. When I get my 612 I think I'll go with PS4S.
    I prefer the challenge style 20" wheels.......

599_GTO likes this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Takes my wife's car's Pirellis a few miles to get round after sitting overnight. I was really unhappy when I saw it arrive at the dealer with Pirellis. Would much have preferred Michelins or Continentals (2020 GLE450). I love the MPS4S tires on the 575M.

19. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I have them on and I drive them in rain and light snow. They are great tires for northeast

20. danmano

danmano Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Danny Manoukian
    I know you are asking about 19”. I have the 20” challenge rims off of a 599. Running Mich PS4S with 255/35/20 upfront and 305/30/20 NO (Porsche spec) in the rear. I love these tires. If I understood the Tire Rack tire specs, The PS4S NO 305’s show wider tire tread than their 315 width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I wanted to get the Michelins or the Perelli tires for my ride, but they were not in stock anywhere. I ended up with Continentals and I'm very happy with my choice.