Tires for a 250GTE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tires for a 250GTE

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by prance, Mar 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #26 166&456, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    Right choice. I had older Michelins on a classic BMW that looked good but one of them still exploded at speed. Must say that the tires were about 14 years old at that time. Older Michelins seem to be quite prone to this type of failure.

I also have a 1971 BMW CS that currently has Dunlop SP Sport D3 225/60/14's on it.
    Great tires but quite old as well, giving the car very interesting corner handling on wet roads. This happens with most tires once they go over 7-8 years of age. In the dry there is hardly a difference with new.
    Dunlops will be replaced this year with 205/70/14's on different wheels, since serious 225/60/14 tires are long gone in Europe.

Being Dutch nationality, I strongly endorse Vredestein :D. I use them on my DD as well, can't fault them except they can form flat spots quite easily.

2. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    According to the Vredestein website and one of their dealers they do not make a 205-14 tire. They do make a 205/70-14. Is there a 205-14 besides the XWX?

Regards,
    Terry W. Phillips

3. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    I want t try BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
    225/75R15 tires on my 330 GT 2+2.
    The car came with Pirelli 205 15's. The tire diameter would have been about 28 1/4 inches.
    From my calculation the BFGoodrich 225's would give me the same diameter and can be safely accomodated on the 7" rims (Borrani 3801's or Campagnolo's). They will only be .8 inches wider on the tread so I'm hoping they will fit in the fender wells without interference.
    I can turn them around so the white letters don't show. I have no idea how they'll ride, but at least my speedometer will be no less accurate than it was in 1964.
    By the way, the tires are "T" rated and I don't think I'll be cruising at sustained speeds above 118 MPH in my old 330 GT 2+2. If it works I'll post my results.

4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Vintage: Truck tires on a Ferrari? :-s
    Be prepared for a stiffer ride, the load rating is likely different.
    And truck tires will probably make it drive a bit like one...
    Don't know about the US but in Europe you can have issues with police, insurance or inspection stations if you were to put a tire with a lower speed rating than the car's rated top speed on a vehicle. It is only allowed if there is a sticker in broad driver's view telling you not to exceed the max tire speed.

5. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Dear 166&456,
    Thanks for your input on my truck tire idea. I had not thought about the regulatory limitations. I can check with the highway patrol on that.

6. WorkerB

WorkerB Rookie

Oct 2, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Terry-
    If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you the pics of the Vredestein 205-14 tires I have. There are five, brand new in 2007, never mounted, stored inside in the SF Bay Area. They are still perfect. They look and feel as they did when they were delivered. I purchased them to mount on alloy wheels my 330GTC but sold the car with Borranis before the alloys were refinished.
    Jim Hampton

7. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Well, I put 'em on and they fill the wheel wells nicely. They are the same height as the original Pirelli's and happily they don't rub.
    I inflated them to 37 Front and 41 Rear and went for a test drive. So far, so good.
    I like them. I haven't taken the car on the track or in the wet, but the tires feel secure and responsive. I'm not crazy about the look of the tread compared with Pirelli CN 72's, but the car looks good with the big tires on 7 X 15 inch Campagnolo rims.

8. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Just as a follow-up I ended up putting the Pirelli CN37 on the 250GTE and it worked out great. The car looks period correct and the tires handle extremely well.
    I sold the car and the NO is very happy.

I subsequently decided to put the same tires on my 1970 Jag E type. That car came with Dunlop SP Sports from the factory. After evaluating both tires I decided on the Pirellis. They are VR rated and just look like a superior tire.
    My Jag drives as well as I can ever remember it driving. The previous tires I had on it were Michelin XVS(which I had to replace after 12 years), which is a somewhat vintage tire but drives no where as well as the Pirellis.
    Just another reminder to me that you certainly get what you pay for.
    Morris