Tires for the 812 | FerrariChat

Tires for the 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 575joe, Sep 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    My car came with the standard Pirelli tires.
    They were quite amazing for traction and stability for the first month and 1500 kms, but have since lost a lot of their traction, and have become quite skittish. (Kind of scary how the car can jump around during acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears on a 2 lane country road).
    I have always liked the Michelin tires better than Pirelli. The dealer tells me that Michelins have not been homologated in North America, and hence they cannot mount a set on the car for me.
    Have any of you switched tires yet?
    If so what is your experience?
    Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires on this car? If how, how do you find the traction, ride, and handling?
    Thanks.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    If I were you, I would just go to tirerack or discounttire and get a set of Michelin PSS. Moreover, PSS' rear is XL and has higher load rating than PZ4, which is non XL. I would just bring those to any good tire shops and have them mounted.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Pirelli PZ4 is objectively the best sport tyre (i.e. in terms of quantifiable grip; laptimes, braking etc). If you have grip issues, you have either burnt the tyres (through heat cycles or just plain wear-degradation), or they have glazed. The remedy for glazing is spirited driving on a grippy surface and/or a small burnout (the latter only works for the rears, obviously).

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's glazing?

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    When the tyres are not being pushed and thus worn down, they acquire a hard-shiny outer surface. Think of it as a rubber pencil eraser and has hardened, but when you have pushed through that initial hard patch, the fresh rubber below starts doing its job again. You may notice that after a track day your tyres grip as if they were new.

otakki and KenU like this.
  6. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Zeus, how does they compare to the super sports? That's what I have on my F12 (and my Corvette).

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Don't believe all the hype about the Pirellis. A few 812 owners have worn through them with only moderate use within a few thousand km, and have gone over to Michelins. Also, there's a question mark over the Pirelli's in the wet.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Objectively they are very close. It would come down to personal taste I reckon.

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I guess I will find out when my superfast gets here. I have driven on Pirelli's before on the Vette, but had some sizing issues so I switched.

10. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    You could always purchase a set of aftermarket wheel and have them built in a wider fitment than what the Ferrari OEM wheels come in. If you opt for say a 12" or 12.5" wide rear wheel you can run a 335 or even 355 size tire in the rear. That is plenty of rubber meeting the pavement giving you that extra traction needed. Best of all no rubbing.

11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I have changed to P Zero Corsas after 2000km when the original P zeros were shot, and have seen a noticeable improvement. I am told that they will be officially offered as an option later this year.

chrisr likes this.
  12. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Reviving this thread, anybody has been able to spec other tires than Pirelli on a US factory order?
    Dealer submitted the order but said the only box to tick is for Pirelli tires?
    Thanks