Tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by ToddFC, Aug 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    If only to get tires like this in R14. I have 16 inch rims for the summer tires but I wish I could shoe the old 14s with something for cold weather.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't disagree, if the car comes with a spare. My 355, no. My Boxster, no but came with an air pump. My Cayman S, no, also came with an air pump. My Z3, no, but had run flats which, as many do, were replaced with non run flats, so I got an air pump.

I've had one flat in all my 50 yrs of driving. Hit a nail with the Cayman. Put a 1/8' diameter hole in the tire. The air pump was enough to get me to an Auto Zone where I bought a plug kit, popped in a plug, pumped it up and made it home no problem. When the tire was replace the nail was inside the tire. Like the Boy Scouts used to say, be prepared. Cheap insurance.

ProvaMo likes this.
  3. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The tires that came on the car have PLENTY of tread left but are 14 years old. Its on my short list of things to do.
    I just spent $1200 putting Pirelli shoes on my Durango RT (taxes, mounting etc..). Most of my options here are a good bit less than that.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I have a full size front spare in my '89 328 GTS - Outer face downwards/inner face upwards, held down with the correct size, original retaining bolt.

I have a soft bag that fits inside the wheel nicely :)

I doubt I could carry that much more with a space saver in the front - And I'd be much happier running on a full size spare fitted than a space saver.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The Pirelli's on my '89 328 date from 2007 and 2008 on the front, and 2014 and 2015 on the rear.

The spare is the original Goodyear NCT Eagle from when the car was new.

As a part of the recommissioning work I'm having carried out on the car, all of the tyres are being replaced with Michelin Pilot 4's.

Longstone Tyres have had Pirelli re-manufacture the P7 tyre , but they're @ 3 times the price of the Pilot 4's for the front tyres, and @ double the price for the rears. That just makes no sense to me whatsoever!

The Pirelli P7's may look period correct due to their tread pattern (but with a more modern construction and composite compared to the original 80's P7's), but the Michelin Pilot P4 is a great tyre, and looking period correct simply isn't worth the extra cost.

6. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    A full size 16x7 wheel with a newer/modern spare tire in 205/55-16 is a great option. I had a rear flat 30 years ago, and found out "the hard way" that the 225/50-16 rear tire and wheel drops-in the front spare tire provision, but the front bonnet obviously wouldn't close... at the time, it was an easy 5 mile drive to a fix.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well the mini does give some extra space. It is a premium in a 328. Like I said I drove a mini home 400 miles up to 100 MPH. Hard braking and hard cornering was the only time I could tell it was not the regular road wheel.

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thomas Magnum likes this.
  9. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Love the look of the ones in your link.. but they are at a significant premium. The only examples I see on websites here actually have a different looking tread pattern.

Either way I'm not sure I can justify the cost over a tread pattern

Rosey likes this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #35 Rosey, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    They are a completely different tyre both in construction and tread pattern to the modern P7 that are available everywhere.
    They are part of the Pirelli Classic range of tyres.
    The only thing they have in common with the modern version is they share the name P7.

11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Edgewood121 likes this.
  12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I must have missed something here....why can't the car go on a jack stand and not worry about the spare at all? steve

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've just replaced the ancient Pirelli's on my '89 328 GTS with Michelin Pilot 4's (along with the 30 year old Goodyear spare tyre) - Superb tyres!

The roads were damp during my first drive on them, but despite being brand new tyres, they were giving confidence inspiring grip straight away (not always the case with new tyres)

I paid @ £650 (@$732) for all 5 tyres (3 front tyres and two rear tyres) - Money well spent as far as I'm concerned :cool:

14. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Michelin always make a fantastic tyre, but there is a little bit more to it than just the quality of tyre. Tyres of a period were built to suit the chassis set up of the period, and there is a little bit down the route that a chassis of a period was set up to suit the tyres of the period too. they benefit each other, which is why we would suggest that the Cinturato P7 is the best tyre for your cars.
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-p7.html

Rosey and Edgewood121 like this.
  15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The standard factory supplied tyre for the Ferrari 328 was the Goodyear Eagle NCT, which was pretty much based purely on the fact that Goodyear were the official tyre supplier for the F1 team at the time, the NCT was never designed for the 328, and the 328 wasn't designed specifically for the NCT tyre, it was just a high performance tyre of the time that suited the performance needs of the car, from Ferrari's F1 supplier.

Had Michelin been the teams tyre supplier, then Michelin's would have been the standard factory tyre.

The Pirelli P7 was a customer option tyre, and as with the Goodyear NCT, it was never designed specifically for the 328, it was simply a high performance tyre available at the time, that was suitable for the car.

My understanding is that the re-manufactured Pirelli P7 tyres are made with a modern compound, and a modern construction, simply retaining a "period correct" tyre pattern. That being the case, they are a tyre as modern as the Michelin Pilot 4, but with a 30+ year old tread design - Not a great combination in my mind, as tread design has improved over the last 30 years, both for dry handling, and for wet weather handling.

From my experience so far of the Michelin Pilot 4 tyres, they have inspired confidence immediately, with great grip on both wet and dry twisty UK country roads, they have very easy to read handling characteristics, keeping the car nicely balanced through the corners, and the 328 chassis can easily cope with them, despite being a modern tyres.

Added to that, I was able to replace both the front and rear tyres, AND the spare tyre with the Michelin Pilot 4's, for less than a pair of rear Pirelli P7's would have cost me.

The car is absolutely fine and spot on with the Michelin's, and I cannot see any advantage that would come from spending an additional £870 (@$943) on the pirelli P7's, to replace the same number of tyres.

It's a case of horses for courses: If looking "original" is your thing, then pay the extra for the Pirelli P7's, if not, buy a decent brand tyre, such as the Michelin Pilot 4's.

Let's not make out that the Pirelli P7's are the only tyres that are suitable for the 328 though, because that simply isn't true!

Rifledriver, 308Dadoo and mike996 like this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I have had the classic P7's on my car since 2019 and I truely love them, however I do tend to agree with everything you wrote Phill.

I'm a bit of a stickler for originality and at the time I had the funds available to buy the expensive Pirelli's which got a lot of attention from other 328 owners in the club as I was one of the first owners to fit them.

I buy tires once every 5/7 years so paying a bit extra over that period of time is negligible to me. I'm sure there are equally great tyres out there but for my style of driving and for showing the car at various Concorso events the P7's are perfect. Nothing out there looks better.

I think you summed it up best when you said horses for courses.

corey1, Thomas Magnum and 4rePhill like this.
  17. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    RodC328gts, Rosey and Thomas Magnum like this.
  18. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I have to admit, the tread pattern above ^^ looks Great!! (Love the euro style mirrors too BTW)
    Were money not an object, I think I would go there, but.. as things are I can find other ways to spend the $$ (on my 328 ;))

I did order Pilot 4's and being re-shoe'd this weekend.

I do still have this (see photo) too contend with. (condition when I bought the car this summer, not my damage). There is a local shop that can heat / repair the rim. They say they do a "really great job matching the paint color" after heating o_O. The tires have had no issue holding air so I'm a little on the fence with repairing.

Does anyone know a source for a "refurbished" original rim that would take this one back for partial credit? It seems like the best deal I've seen to just buy one outright is ~ $1K and the cost of the repair is ~ $200.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Ended up "re-shoeing" today, to avoid tomorrow's rain. I wish I had done it the first week I had the car, it really made a significant difference, and it should get better after I get a few more miles on them.
    I ended up going through the local Discount Tire instead of Tire-Rack. They are joint owned and share pricing. The manager was checking recommended torque specs and really seemed to know what he was doing. Spent extra time cleaning the "goo" from stick on weights the last place stuck on the visible side of the rim. They've earned my tire business going forward.

20. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    @ToddFC did you end up going with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's? (great tires!) and did you do anything to straighten the wheel?

21. ToddFC

ToddFC Karting

Jun 11, 2022
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yes on the tires, they were ordered earlier in the week.
    The rim not yet. If I do get it done, will put the car on a strand for a day or two and drop the wheel off. It's one of those things that bothers me only because I know its there.

ProvaMo likes this.