Titanium Spine | FerrariChat

Titanium Spine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by elpadrino, Aug 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    Alright so i moved to FL from NY in part because i love the beach and ocean....However Ive noticed as of late a Buddy of mine (originally from Boston) who Lives ON the beach, absolutely refuses to spend time at the beach....reason being because he hasnt worked out in along time and has pretty much has some issues.

But the catch is not laziness or lack of want but lack of ability.....

He was hit while riding a long time ago and has since has lower spine replaced with titanium which cuts some of his mobility he cannot bend down to touch his toes he has to bend at the knees, he cannot twist his back either.

So is there a way he can work his Core? - He has expressed interest in working out so I want to help him find something that will work.

(a modified diet is already in place but we are still working on that since we work at the same place and its a bit challenging to eat healthy with our schedules)

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would definitely discuss this with a physician. Having had a serious injury like that needs the advise from a doctor and phD Physical Therapist. I would see no reason he couldn't lifting weights on a flat bench, or even incline. But putting his body in the position required to work abs, and back may hurt him. Definitely have him seek medical advise before beginning a workout routine.

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    As a physical therapist I can tell you there are more ways then you can count to work your core without detrimental effects to your friend's previous LB surgery. Unfortunately they are difficult to convey over the internet and I would want additional history prior to making any suggestions. Have him meet with a PT to discuss a proper exercise program. It can be done.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    As said, he needs to see a Dr about that one.