Titling a salvage vehicle in MN

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Meister, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. Meister

    Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

    Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Just came across an item on flea-bay that is of some interest. Called MN DMV late this afternoon and got a somewhat confusing answer/response. What I gathered they said was that MN would not register a salvage vehicle coming directly from the state in which the vehicle was salvaged. They would however accept it if it had been previously accepted by another state.... anyone have personal experience in this area.

    Short version of the car I'm interested in is.... CA vehicle, theft/recovery in 2002 for sale and physically in WI, but still on CA title/salvage/cirtificate....

    As I'm reading the MN DMV I would not be able to buy this vehicle and then register it in MN since it is already out of CA and does not have any other state regisration....

    Deal and sale seem a little fishy anyway, but if the price stays right....;)

  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. Speedmade

    Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

    Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    A little background. In MN if you have a MN car with a title stamped "salvage" you can repair the vehicle, get it inspected and they will issue a fresh title that will be stamped "prior salvage" but will allow you to put the car back on the road.

    In regards to an out of state salvage title, what they are requiring, is that the car was repaired and inspected in the state the salvage was issued. Many states never allow salvage to be put back on the road. They are trying to keep people from buying stuff in other states and cleaning it up here.

    I would stay away from that car. MN will never issue you any kind of title on that.

Share This Page