Tivo Alert: DTM on SPEED | FerrariChat

Tivo Alert: DTM on SPEED

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Koby, Dec 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but after catching a few of these races I thought I make a thread to give you guys a heads up. SPEED is currently playing the DTM season. Naturally since we have to dedicate the prime time slots to NASCAR Commentators Playing Poker, good programming like this is pretty randomly scheduled but I beleive the regular slot is on Wednesday afternoons (?). The best bet to catch it is to set your DVRs. For those with Tivo, make a autorecord wishlist for "Touring Cars German"

For those not aquainted with DTM, the current iteration is considered perhaps the most competitve series in the world and features many famous drivers, great tracks and really cool cars.

Some of the notable names: Jean Alesi, Mika Hakkinen, Alan McNish, Heinz-Herald Frentzen, Tom Kristensen, Bernd Schneider, Mattias Ekström (Skoda WRC driver).

(Note, they are showing the BTCC in conjunction with DTM, however it hasn't quite captured my attention the way DTM has.

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I have been watching the last few races - lots of nice racing. The BTCC is also kinda fun - its like bumper cars meets saloon car racing (aka Nascar). Basically it is Nascar on road circuits :)

3. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Yeah, it is nice to see cars with some fenders on them so they can mix it up a bit. It the last race I watched, Kristensen was mixing it up a bit with Frenzten. Nothing too ruff, but you wouldn't want to try it in a GP car.

BTW, Andreas, HH Frenzten had a very good race in Brno, qualified P1 and finished 3rd, which is by far his best result in DTM. (BTW, who else would love to see F1 race at Brno? What an awesome track!!)

(I don't know any of the results, and am following the season as it unfolds in the broadcasts)

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yeah they had the BTCC on LATE last night, after midnight. Speed sucks. How in the heck do they ever expect to get any ratings at that hour. Heck, I don't even watch Speed anymore because of all the NASCAR. I only found the touring cars by pure luck when I was surfing channels. Unless the F1 season is in full swing I really don't watch Speed. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll look for the DTM in my program guide, and set my VCR to record at 3am. :)

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well just as I suspected there wasn't a doggon thing on Speed airing the DTM. I looked all the way until Sunday and nothing. Like I said before, unless F1 is on, Speed sucks.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Just watched one of the races and loved it. As much as I love F1, it was very exciting. Kind of sad I haven't sat down and watched it before.

Mark

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    WHAT A FLIPPIN MIRACLE!!!!!!! I just watched DTM today on Speed at 10am pst. They are gonna rerun it tonight at 1am pst. The track wasn't very technical but it sure was fun watching it.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Page 112 of the February issue of Road & Track has a one pager on "The Magic of DTM". Talk about fans, the season finale drew a record crowd of 147,000 - the largest ever for a DTM race. Their 2005 average attendance was in the 84,000 per event range. Comparing F1 tickets to DTM, this is a real bargain - 3 day grandstand tickets with parking and paddock passes for two adults and two kids costs only 85 Euros.

Rumor has it for '06 that Alfa may jump on board and more high-profile drivers will appear. Let's hope the rumor comes true.

We are definitely considering one of these races as soon as the calendar is posted.

Carol