Tom Meade, car designer | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tom Meade, car designer

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Sep 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I would've enjoyed being a fly on the wall during that.

2. CribbL

CribbL Rookie

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi there,

Im hoping that someone can give me some information about the passing of Tom Meade last year. Tom is my mums cousin, we live in Australia and they kept in touch via letters/email.
    My mum has been a little concerned that her last couple of emails have gone unanswered, but it wasn't too worried and Tom was pretty relaxed about communicating.
    We have only found out today that Tom has passed on and my mum is quite upset that she wasn't contacted.

Can anyone give us any information or contact details for someone who was close to him?

Thankyou so much.

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    He died of a 2nd stroke August 1st, 2013 at the Veteran's Hospital in Westwood (Los Angeles), California. Joshua Lange, his automotive engineer and industrial designer, was by his side when Tom passed away. I had worked with him as his biographer for a few years. Articles about him can be found on my blog here:

Chad Glass

4. CribbL

CribbL Rookie

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi Chad,
    Thanks for your reply, it's really good to know that Joshua was with him when he passed away. It has been really interesting reading your blog about him, such an interesting guy. Regards, Lisa

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Tom was well known to enthusiasts everywhere, even here in this island in the Far East where I live. But one has to be a certain age. I just came across this thread today and immediately told my friends the sad news. One of them had met Tom in Italy a very long time ago. What incredible creations Tom had. The stuff of my dreams then.

Andres

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My condolences, to the long time friends and even family, just now joining the thread...

7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    May he rest in peace !!

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    RIP....his designs are insanely beautiful.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #84 SoCal1, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We went out for Chinese food a couple weeks before his passing.
    All he did was complain about GMO foods and I got to make fun of him calling him a American Hot Rodder at heart. He really hated GMO foods a lot.
    Met him when I moved to SoCal and became a second Dad to me.
    I remember every word we spoke the last 15 years.

I know he's somewhere breaking balls telling stories for an audience which he loved to do, one to one he was one of the nicest persons I ever met that.

:)

BTW I added a picture of us, most recent. He ate all his Eggplant Parm. Then hit on the young girls for another hour or so LOL
    I have a few of him at our shop playing around, he really loved that when he was feeling well enough. I can forward them to you if you disire
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    SoCal1, can you please email those photos to: [email protected]

I'd like to see them.
    Chad :)

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Thank you, Lisa.

12. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    #87 121Designer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  13. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    #88 121Designer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I remember when these were fresh. Some of the coolest design changes
    I've ever seen attempted and the results were real pleasing to the eye. No idea how purists see these, but they are really well executed.

15. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    I remember buying that issue of R&T off the stand at Heyden Drugs (7-Mile & Heyden, Detroit, MI). Up until seeing that car on the cover, all I bought were Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding and Cars magazines. My attitude about cars was changed 180* in a moment's time. Memory fades, but I'm thinking it was the December 1970 issue, but I've been wrong before.

Looking forward to reading the whole story!

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Very interesting design. Takes some styling cues from both Ferrari and corvette is appears.

17. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Joshua, thank you so much for updating the endeavor.

Tom was nothing but a free soul with so much passion. Nothing but utter respect for his knowledge and beautiful designs. I do miss him.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

18. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Yes. It was December, 1970. This amazing article was a mixed blessing for Tom. It brought fame and notoriety, but at the same time it kind of stepped on some shoes and made some other forces aware of Tom's presence in Italy who were not thrilled that an American was compared to Ferrari in such a bold way.

19. 121Designer

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Tom was very proud of the Duntov Corvette engine LLoyd "Lucky" Casner sold him for his initial Maserati 350si project. He converted a second 350s Maserati with another Corvette engine paired to a 5-speed upon his return to Italy. Unfortunately, it appears that these cars have had their Meade/Fantuzzi enhancements like a removable fast-back hard top, custom windshields and their Corvette engines removed. Tom was very proud that he created the first fastback removable hard-top for a Ferrari. Gullwing doors were a first for a Ferrari, too. Spagetti exhaust for the main course, anyone?

Tom and I were making many never seen before design and engineering "enhancements" of our own on the Thomassima IIII.

20. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Indeed; I never thought about it that way, of course, but it's easy to comprehend now. Magic always comes with a price, so to speak!

Thanks for the confirmation, as I'll turn sixty (60) in another couple of weeks, it's reassuring that some of the brain's memory sectors are still functioning...

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I found my copy of that issue.
    Quite a month. The Meade piece, Ferrari wins at Monza and St. Jovite, Rindt's obit,

And the introduction of the Ford Pinto.

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Hey Josh. I am still not certain of the facts. I spoke to TM for over 2-3 hours, I think around 2001 or 2002, maybe 2003. He told me his total history. Every little detail.

I bought a Boxer, he was selling some parts. He advertised in Hemmings, so I called the number. Holy f**k, this was really Tom Meade. When he told me his name, I was in shock, if one is a Ferrari aficionado, you had to know who he was. For hours, he told me all sorts of things about his current project, the wheels, the special taillights, etc. But then I was out of touch with current Ferrari/exotic information for a few years. I had a bad car accident.

So what happened to TM's last project? I did not even know he passed away.

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #98 Mang, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/422255-tom-meade-car-designer-has-passed-away.html

A previous thread, lots of praise and appreciation for his talents.

I enjoy hearing everyone's stories hangin with him.

...a buddy of mine was remodeling a house in Clyde, CA (in the early 80's - any Bay Area folks know Clyde?), and he was also restoring a Marcos, anyone know those wooden beasts? I was hangin out, pitching in on the house and the car and I urged him to mod his Marcos to look more like Tom Meade's designs, showing the photos in that same road and track issue you are all discussing. Road and track was IT in those days. We were just doing amateur fiberglass buildup and whack down and trying to get artsy, lol, made a mess of that car.

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very futuristic design back in it's day. Very unique.

25. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I remember the car from my youth, Tom Meade was great !