Too Hot? | FerrariChat

Too Hot?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Aug 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I was watching a video the other day of Matt Farrah talking to his Ferrari tech about his 328, and at one point the tech (sorry, forgot his name) mentioned that if the coolant temp is at the half-way mark (190 deg) it's running too hot; it should be a notch below the half. Curious, I made a note of the temp the next time I drove: it's right around the half. The photo was taken after about 20 minutes of city driving on a beautiful 71 deg F morning. On a hot day the needle doesn't change much: a hair over the halfway mark.

I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with my cooling system; the fans come on when they should, and the coolant is reasonably fresh. What do you all think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Completely normal. In a Mondial, even a 3.2, you might see even hotter coolant temps in extremely hot weather (like we have here in Houston). I know this from experience in multiple Mondials.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like Michael said, thats normal. Out on the highway on a cooler day it might come down to just below the 195 mark but what you have is fine.

Ferrari thermostats with age open sooner and having it run below the middle mark is common but where it is is fine.

4. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Granted, I don't trust Italian electrics... we have replacement boards and connectors for the 3x8/Mondial's for a reason.

My 1984 308 QV "ran hotter" via the gauge and everyone told me the same thing.. "It's good, don't worry about it". The car had good compression, no head gasket leakage, no air in the coolant system (broke the bleed knob and had to source a new one... that was a pain). It was at the half-way point mostly and higher on hotter days, but it never got "screaming" hot, maybe hit the 3/4 line once, sitting still in 95+ degree weather... maybe.

That said, my Mondial 3.2 DOES have a new board and, while there are a few other minor things I attribute to bad gauges, My car doesn't get much over half... maybe up to where the OP posted on a really hot day.

My 308 was my first Ferrari, every little thing that might be a slight bit off, it was like "oh no, what's that, is that right, does it have to be fixed, will it cost a alot". On my Mondi 3.2, I've gotten a bunch done and I know it's fairly reliable, so I just drive it (admittedly the thread about the gear selector "freezing" after driving 150 to 200 miles does make me concerned since I know I need a new clutch).

Drive it and keep an eye on it (not a paranoid eye, just keep checking it). You see it sky rocket OR the car's not running right OR smoke/steam, stop... otherwise, enjoy the drive.

BTW ... same thing with the oil pressure.

James

5. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks, everybody, for the replies. It's nice to be reassured that things are normal as I had suspected. I'm sure there will be real things to worry about in the future ...

6. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That same tech told Matt that he buys Mondial wiring harnesses to fix 328s because he can pick them up "for about $60." I've been looking ever since, and even reached out to find those $60 harnesses. Crickets......YouTube drama.

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    yeh, the good old times !

greatscott73 likes this.
  8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Some data points from my 3.0 Euro car with 2 radiator fans, standard coolant, 0.8bar cap, full AC.
    The highest values recorded inside a tunnel (higher temps than outside) going uphill at around 50mph, outside air temp 35°C/95°F:

Later on at the airport, just off the highway, in a traffic jam, sitting idling, OAT 36°C/96°F:

I can't get the engine hotter than that driving on public roads.

9. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Your car definitely runs cooler than mine; Farrah's tech would say that yours is running optimally.
    I wonder if 308s and Mondials were equipped with different thermostats depending on where they were sold (?).
    I'm also impressed that your car has 142K miles.

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hugh - the thermostat only decides when it starts to guide water to the radiator during the warm-up process. Once it open, it's open regardless of its temperature rating. The warm-operating temperature of the engine isn't affected by it.

My engine's thermostat is, based on its looks, the original UK delivery unit:

The milage is related to me using it daily, weather permitting; 95k of those miles were done by me. It's a good car overall.

of2worlds likes this.