Too much home...? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Too much home...?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by hdpt00, Aug 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon

A lot more than the average 21 yr old.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    What does that mean? That you went ahead and got a 2 bedroom apartment? I hear that Dan Ciezniewzky can afford a lot more too.

3. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    No, I own my place and got referred to my realtor via f-chat :).

4. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I've been in some 12K sq. ft. homes, pretty much just oversized rooms and a 2 or 3 bedroom guest wing or guest house. In the 15K i was asuuming about 3K guest or pool house (both?).

6-8 car garage of course!

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    From dreamhouse to nightmare...yikes!

6. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon

lol, no kidding. build the garage underground in that case!

7. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    like a cave :D

8. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Have a home 4 sale close by, 43,000 sq ft, but the garage is only large enough for 4 cars

I think they got it backwards

9. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I just read that the producer Scott Storch bought a 25,000 sq. ft home with a 10,000 sq. ft underground garage in Florida...

10. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    yep.. miami, love that place. :cool:

"when Storch jumps in his Lamborghini, he drives to an island and pulls up to his mansion, a classic Italian villa with a strong Greco-Roman theme, a gaudy residence that resembles the mansion Al Pacino's Scarface lived in. In the main house, there's seven bedrooms and fourteen bathrooms, high ceilings, three levels, marble floors, marble columns, gold-plated bathroom sinks, a huge eat-in kitchen and a great view of Biscayne Bay. There's also two fountains, a pair of two-bedroom guesthouses, a pool cabana and garage space for eight cars. Storch bought the place in the spring. The sellers asked for $16 million, but Storch says he got it for eleven, a record price for that area. "This home isn't for everybody," he says. "It's a little intimidating for a typical family." Out front there's all sorts of exotic cars -- a Ferrari, an SLR McLaren, a Rolls Phantom, a Maybach, an old Trans Am, several Bentleys -- and out back, parked in the bay, is his 125-foot, $20 million yacht named Tiffany. He sold his previous yacht, Storchavelli."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10699242/scott_storchs_outrageous_fortune/2

WOW.

11. JasonF

JasonF Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    I live in a 3,000 square foot home (wife, 2 kids) and it's just the right size for us. The only thing I would like to add is another garage bay. Other than that, my wife and I agree that it would be silly to go bigger. Plus, our mortgage is paid off - a huge plus.

In our case, we're raising a disabled son who will require lifelong care so overextending in the house department would be foolish.

Contrast that with my father-in-law. Widowed and living alone, he bought an 8 bedroom/5 bath 9,000 square foot house as an investment. His property taxes (Princeton, NJ) are now over $50,000 a year. It's the last house I would own. In fact, we joke with him that should he drop dead our realtor is our second call after the funeral home!

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Mine is a humble 4000ft and it seems too much home for one person (the garage is another story:) )

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    15 would be too big for me.

I've got 3600 sq ft right now and as a single person I'm swimming in it. I've got rooms that I haven't been in except to clean in months.

I've watched friends get bigger and bigger homes and frankly I just don't get it. It seems like ALL their bills go up in proportion to the quality of furniture and fixtures going down. It also seems like many of the larger homes are designed to impress the casual vistor rather than being a reflection of the owner's taste and needs.

My dream home? About 3000 sq ft on 5000 acres with two outbuildings. No neigbors, no answering machine, no interruptions.

14. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    my parents put it best: they are an upper middle class family, able to afford upwards of a 3-4000 sq ft house, yet, now that both my sister and i are away at college, they are looking to maybe downsize a little, mainly because what do 2 people need a huge house for? now i would love to have a huge house that my future wife and i could raise a family in, but i do think 15k sq ft would be toooooooooooo big, i would say tops 8000. another good piece of advice my dad gave me a long time ago when we were looking at some huge houses here in STL: just because someone has a big house doesn't mean their rich, it just means they spent a lot on it. that is a great piece of advice, and i can only hope that i am rich enough to buy a house like that, not just spend a lot on a house like that.

15. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I grew up in an 8,000 sq. ft. home; 7 bedroom/7 bathroom and 5 car garage on 2 acres. A lot of upkeep and chores to be done! Mowing the lawn burned up a lot of my Saturdays during my teenager years. After I moved out my parents moved to a smaller house- now they are empty nesters. My Dad kept his priorities right and still has 4 garage spots with 4 cars :)

16. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    My house is in downtown Plymouth (it is less than 1,200 square feet) and our summer tax bill is $3400 (we have to pay for our trash pickup too). So it could be worse for you :)

17. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Speaking of property taxes, I am off to some hearing next week to fight mine. Texas property taxes are nuts.

18. sailor2

sailor2 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
  19. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    agreed. My sister is in Grosse Pointe Woods and her taxes on a 3000 sqft house are approaching 10 grand a year.

I also pay for trash removal seperately and one of the highest water rates in the state. Shelby marks the water up over 200% of wholesale from the city. I moved from Sterling Heights where the markup is 17% let me tell you when I opened the first water bill here last year I stood agape for about a minute, then figured thats the price of progress.

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To me, the design and layout are more important than anything else. I've been in a lot of 5-6k sq ft houses that felt small because the design was quite poor. I've also been in smaller houses that felt a lot bigger than they really were. If 15k feels like a good fit, I say go for it. You only live once, might as well enjoy yourself.

21. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Does Michigan have a low state sales tax?

22. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Yah, there are some big ones off of Westlake Dr. (including Dell's). Also out near Barton Creek Dr. (I think) there are some biggies.

I think that house is way overpriced, you can buy some land in Austin and build somethig comparable for much less. The water isn't worth that much, IMO.

23. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    not exceptionally low. 6%

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can only be in one room at a time my friend.

If you do go ahead and buy it..congrats to you, but I will garentee that in the first month, you will stand in front of your lovely massive staircase, and say to yourself.."why".

My dream home?? about 3000sqf on about an achor of land with a seperate 4 car garage.

25. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Personally I don't care for homes that are excessively large, it starts to feel more like a museum than a home.

IMO around 7500 sq/ft, 4 bd is comfortable. The rooms are big enough you don't feel cramped, you can have a good size party with out standing on top of each other, etc.

I don't have any desire at all to have a house with 6 rooms I never use just to say they are there. I'd rather have a huge yard with an awesome garage.

And yes there are some MASSIVE homes being built in Austin. As in the "guest house" is 5k sq/ft. The TX property taxes are brutal though. I've contemplated moving from SoCal cause you can get a lot or the $$$, but the taxes kinda kill it.

It takes a good designer to make a 15k sq/ft colossal home feel meerely ginormous. But if you have the scratch to do it and thats what you want then by all means.