Too Much of a Geezer for a 458? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Too Much of a Geezer for a 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PhilNotHill, Jul 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Some people have complained about not being able to read the yellow tach in daytime. I had absolutely no problem in that regard.

Only disappointment was that all my driving so far has be in town. Want to get this car on some twisty mountain roads. That could come as soon as tomorrow. :eek:

The car is just a little too perfect. :cool:

At this point I really do not know how they could improve on this car. The scud version would probably be way too rough riding for me and with our speed dips/bumps lower is not an option for me. What is Ferrari going to do for an encore?

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    One of the best road rides of my young life was taking an F430 on a route starting on CO 67 northwest of Colorado Springs, taking it to County 126 and eventually coming out on US 285 in the Pine Junction area. Lots of twisties, no one on it, a glorious sunny day. If you are ever in the area, check it out.

As for the yellow tach, most of the time I can't read it in daylight but I use the LEDs anyway.

Sounds like you are having a ball.

3. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congratulations!! She's a beauty (and a beast).

I bought my 458 in Dec. from FoD, and am still waiting to hit the mountain roads. It won't be long now.

Enjoy in good health.

4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Congrats!!!

5. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Phil: very nice, glad you finally did it....but it is embarrassing that you TRUCKED it home....
    also sorry I didn't know you were here, we are at the Biltmore for a few days, you could have saved me from the dog show crowd...Malcolm

6. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Afraid to drive with the threat of snow. Had it been April or later....

It is snowing here right now. Expecting an inch. :(

7. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    Looks like Royal Plams you stayed at. Nice! I like that place nice grounds. By the way your 458 is beautiful! Enjoy it in good health.

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #133 PhilNotHill, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Very cool Phil. Hope to see you on a drive one of these days.

-F

10. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Grrrrrrr...mines still on da boat!

11. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My understanding is that for about $7k you could have had it flown to the US. :cool:

12. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats!

I hope you didn't get too nauseous when you were on the showroom floor next to that matte red FF...ugh!!!

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Did they charge extra for the yellow tie down straps? I think black is standard. :)

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #139 PhilNotHill, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a wrap.

And yes, Fugly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    don't know. Dealer paid for shipping both ways.

BTW that white stuff is snow. :eek:

16. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The red looks so deep in that last picture. Here's hoping the snow melts soon.

17. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    Congrats. Heard Aspen having below average snow. Good for you....bad for skiers!

18. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Stunning. Gorgeous 458 Spider; congratulations. I'm surprised they put it in transport with the top down; I've always seen the tops up on convertibles during transport. Interesting.

Enjoy in the best of health and post more pictures!! :D

-Gil

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Was there last week,plenty of fresh snow,skiing was fabulous.
    Huge, heartfelt congrats to Phil,your car is a stunner and a keeper....

20. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    The snow is starting to fall in the Rockies. Good for skiers, not so good for sports cars. Phil's a skier so he wins either way. :)

It's going to be a long 2-3 month wait until the roads clear up. I imagine there's a lot of gravel on the roads up in Aspen right now. Oh well, I guess that's what the clear bra is for. :)

-F

21. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Actually, the snow and skiing are great. Life is good.

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    They asked me to put the top down on the 360 Spider before they loaded it. Apparently, they think less risk of keeping top from getting damaged.

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Aspen uses gravel on the side streets. Speed limit is 25 mph so not much of a problem. the state maintains SH 82 and they use mag-chloride. So the fast highways don't have much gravel. Have to watch out for county roads though.

Yesterday the roads were wet in spots. SH 82 was 90% dry in the afternoon after 1-3 inches before noon. your car gets trashed from the spray of cars in front and those going the opposite direction when they pass. the secret is to get out early before the sun melts the snow and the water runs over the road. Never hit an ice patch yet. Knock on wood.

24. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Spending time in SW Colorado, I can testify that gravel flies around like missiles. Aside from our mountain goat truck, the cars are dressed in a suit of armor of paint protection film, windshield included.

25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #150 PhilNotHill, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    Took her out today for the first 458 Spider drive in the mountains. The roads were 100% clear of snow and ice. About 5% of the roads had water from melting snow. Lots of gravel. Stayed on the side roads with little or no traffic.

The temp was 43F and partly cloudy so 95% of the time had the top down, windows up and heated seat set to LOW. Never had to put on gloves or cover my ears.

The car is so AMAZING how it handles everything so easily and effortlessly. Found it was more fun to drive in RACE mode. the car sounded the best (never had the premium stereo on) and the car was totally responsive. Could push much harder through the curves than the 360 and the Boxster S. Just can't give enough superlatives for this car in the twisties. 9000 rpm is truly a spiritual experience.

Before I got about 5 miles from the garage I put the top up and the rear window down. got so warm had to turn the heater down. With the rear window down you could hear the music from the engine. much louder acoustics than the coupe IMVHO.

The computer said my top speed was 89 (don't remember going this fast) and the average speed was 25.

Had to wash the bottom half of the car all around. the hot water took everything off very easily. One towel easily wiped the excess water off and she was dry as a bone.

The automatic headlights came on in the parking garage. the yellow tach turned to black. first time I have seen this. Absolutely stunning. I see more night driving ahead compard to my past.

This is what I found out today:
    By driving on very familiar roads the car is much more capable than I could have guessed.
    I love RACE mode (but it will be SPORT in town).
    Being able to put the back window down with the top up is wonderful.
    the black tach with the lights on is stunning.
    Did not have to put the soft suspension on one time. the car was surprisingly comfortable in RACE mode. That was a pleasant surprise..

Supposed to snow tomorrow. :(
    Can hardly wait to drive her again.

The car is so capable it gives me the illusion that my driving skills are much better than I know they really are.

they hit a home run with this car.
    I know there will be a scud version. totally unnecessary IMVHO. If I could drive this car at the limit it will be a miracle. thinking more car could be a waste on me.
    You just have to wonder what they are going to do for an encore.

the 458 Spider is ridiculously expensive BUT I DON'T CARE. LOL :D

You might say I am a very happy camper..I mean Geezer. :cool: