Tools/books . | FerrariChat

Tools/books .

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Jan 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    What is with people whom keep the above then try to sell them or the dealers /car brokers whom do the same.They are the property of the car ,not some lo/life dealer ,broker whom is trying to make a buck.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    when someone is trying to negotiate the price of the car, these things have value, if the buyer doesn't care for them, but wants a better price, is it wrong of the seller to seperate them? i don't think it anyone's place to tell him what he can and can't sell to get a deal done.

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I agree. It is the irreversable things that hurt the cars!

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    having spent a good amount of time tracking junk like this down, i wish it would stay with the cars, but it doesn't and it is what it is.

5. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    and then the low life dealers/car brokers end up with them and selling them on

6. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    The dealer nose the prices are high on these and if the buyer doesn't say a thing then he gets the extra money when selling on eBAY.

7. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    there still scum

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Agree.

Books and tools, especially on vintage cars, belong with the car.

There isn't a knowledgeable buyer out there that doesn't want a complete car, or as complete as possible. To separate the car from the books and tools is criminal. I just sold my Dino, the price included books and tools, and a large quantity of spare but original (replaced by newer) parts. How else would you sell the car?

To argue that it helps reduce the buying price is, I think, all smoke and mirrors. I've seen cars without them going for exactly the same price as cars with them.

I've seen cars sell without them, and seen the dealer selling the books and tools within weeks or months on ebay, or on their websites.

Educated buyers will ask, and then negotiate price accordingly if these items are missing, but buyers don't always, I'm sure. When I bought my Dino, it had complete tools, but no books or pouch. At the time they could be had for probably a couple grand complete, now books are a $7K item, and certainly something I'd have tried to negotiate out of the sale price.

I think the real question here is, "If you had a car for sale, and owned it with books and tools, would you automatically include them in the sale price, or wait for the prospective buyer to ask about them."

DM

9. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I was horrifed to find out years ago how a Rolls Royce Phantom 111 gurney nutting sedanca ch 3az158 had not only lost her books but the owner took of the silver chassic plate and still has it some 35 years latter.

10. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I still have the K2 skis that came with a VW Jetta an old girl friend had in the 90's, did I distroy the resale value of that classic by keeping the factory accessories that came with the car?

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't think you hurt her resale value any. The car on the other hand.... :D

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    People are slick.

I bought a MV Agusta a few years back, came with only one key. I'm sure the PO kept the other as a souvenir.

It was a pain because the blanks were really to come by.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So are you saying I didn't send enough keys?

I do have one more set....

DM

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    So were you that MV @hole in Atlanta????

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Interesting post. I recently acquired a 330 GTC sans tools and am currently in the process of trying to put together a proper toolkit.
    It's not an insignificant amount of work just getting up to speed on what the proper tools and pouch(es) are for a specific model, and how they can vary across early and late in production and from what is diagramed in the owners manual. Once one gets up to speed on this, it's then a lot of effort just sourcing the right stuff. And of course last but not least, it's also not an insignificant amount of money one needs to part with to put the right kit in your car once you have done all your homework and legwork.

There obviously are currently not enough tools and kits in relation to cars, yet each car originally came with a toolkit. This begs the question, what became of the missing tool kits? Did people just throw them away in the '60's? Are there actually malicious Ferrari tool stealing elves? Are thousands of proper pliers just languishing anonymously in the bottom of peoples tool boxes? Or does Tom Shaugnnessy have them all?

16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    BINGO! :0

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Hey Shaughnessy is doing MY 330GTC toolkit ....

Edit: I mean, "Mr." Shaughnessy. Sorry. I need parts for my other cars, too! ;)

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you talking about the Hula Doll on the dash...?

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOLOLOL!

Well, they may END UP at Tom S.'s house, but they were very popular with longshoreman at the time of import.

I'll say that since the warranty Book has the VIN, I feel anyone that knowingly witholds the tools /books is NOT a Ferrari enthusiast as they mean too much to the history of the vehicla once a 'certain age" is reached..

I get key blanks for $4, no big deal there...but when the last one came with three sets on Neiman blanks, well, you could feel the love.......

Kindof like the first time the handbrake bulb lit up....it was magical.......

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I can feel your pain, but honestly it wasn't that long ago that most people really didn't care about these items. The recent prices for Dino and 250 items has really brought the awareness home.
    When I bought my 250 a few years ago. I found the tool roll, and the pouch and manuals along with original service records in the trunk under a pile of oily rags. Had obviously been forgotten.
    The jack was missing however. Got one for free a few years later. Thanks Brian!!!

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Damn, I just can't seem to shake that Hula Doll.

I know where it was last, perched on the back shelf of a really nice SWB.

DM

22. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

Getting ready to sell it back to you....... OK?

GAME ON

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Cars are inanimate objects and have no property rights. The seller owns the car and everything on or in it. if something is not in the car, it's up to the buyer to ask for tools, books, records, whatever if that's what he/she wants. If the seller doesn't want to include something with the car, the buyer can decide not to buy...simple as that...caveat emptor...welcome to the world of capitalism...

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  24. f430R

f430R Karting

Jun 15, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Completely understand the frustration of having nothing, as its happened to me on all of mine,
    Thus I have scoured the web to find the bits missing, tools, books, torches, covers, chargers etc!

Then I was accused of stealing things/keeping when in actual fact I just bought more than I needed, to sell or keep for future...

VetroresinaNL likes this.