Top 10: Worst Italian Cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Top 10: Worst Italian Cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tobias, Feb 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Fiat X-19 should be on the list, handling was great, looks were good, super hard to work on, and needed work about every month.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ten thousand POUNDS. The article is on msn.co.uk.

Hell hath no fury like a Mondial owner scorned!

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Slim........

Well..........we are talking about the year 1978 (I was 18 and it was my first car) I paid $400 and the term "PPI" was not invented yet.

It was a 1976 model year with about 50,000 kms......it ran like crap....used a quart of oil every week.....one day I leaned on the front fender behind the headlight and my hand crashed thru the rusted out fenderskin.....second gear ground like crazy......

My wife and I have a 2003 FIAT Uno 1.0 16 valve at our house in Rio........OTOH.......it's a great car !!

4. VeloceManiac

VeloceManiac Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2006
    Lancia Thema 8.32?????? WTF!?
    **** thats a ferrari you can do your shopping in.

Ferrari Mondial??????????? Again WTF?
    Awsome car for a first ferrari.

Lamborghini Countach???????? Hes smoking crack people.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yup, the author is an idiot

Saying the Countach is impractial is like complaining that the Sistine Chapel is impractical. It may be true but saying so is retarded & shows a serious lack of culture

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The writer of the article owned 1 car on the list. A Lancia Beta, that is the only car has a right to judge, period.

Joe

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Ten worst cars? Such an article shouldn't be written about used cars in general. The Countach was a milestone of design. Driving one anywhere will draw a crowd. Heck, my Mondial draws a crowd of people who commonly ask if it is new. They are generally shocked when I tell them that it is 21 years old. I especially like the link that shows that there are no Mondials to be found for under 9,500 pounds. Kind of validates my perception of the author's knowledge.

8. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Countach should definitely NOT be on that list. That was a horrible read!!

How can one compare a Countach with all those other hideous Italian junks!?

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    :)

10. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    FIAT ???

Failed
    Italian
    Attempt
    @
    Transportation

FIX
    IT
    Again
    Tony

btw my last visit to japan A BRAND NEW Alfa GTA with a window sticker of $45,000usd, My god! They are a bit proud of those Brand new Fiat & Alfa's.

11. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    No one has ever purchased a Countach with even the slightest thought of practicality. The flairs and wing are a matter of personal taste but gave the car its outrageous stance. From the writers viewpoint and possibly his income level, cars may need to make sense as real world transportation and not as, which of my six cars should I take today. The Countach was a milestone automobile in the wings, flairs and ground effects era. It was an outrageous, menacing looking car that arrived before you did. It never pretended to be anything else and Lambo hit the mark with it.

12. wmoon89

wmoon89 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2006
    Why don't they try making a list of the top 10 worst french cars? or american cars?

13. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    far too much choice :D

14. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Nah, Top 10 Talentless Journalists with the initials HB

15. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    OK, the author's a wanker, but the Lancia Beta is one of the worst cars of all time. My dad had one and that's the car in which I learned to (a) drive a stick and (b) bump start a car. I don't even remember whether it was fun to drive, I just remember worrying that the thing would just quit in the middle of the LIE.

My father was an amazing car guy. He almost always chose wrong, hence the Lancia, but never lost interest in cars. He drooled for weeks over the Maserati Biturbo before deciding it was too expensive. He passed on a reasonably priced Gullwing because he was saving up for a Jag XJ6. He tried to buy a Citroen SM but couldn't work out a trade (guess why). The list goes on.

He did buy a Fiat 124, though. That car was great to drive. I scared all my friends in it, especially once it started to rust and you could see the road through the floor.

As for the Mondial being on the list, that's just silly. It's true that the Mondi is the only Ferrari my dad ever thought about buying, but still....

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No doubt it was a milestone in excess, but having seen a bunch of them then and now I think the design has aged poorly, into a kind of adolsecent boy fantasy parody of itself (it started out as "interesting" and descended into "overwrought" with all the goofy wings and gold-colored bowling-ball style wheels.) I think Audi is the best thing that has happened to Lambo since the Miura.

Is it one of the "10 Worst"? I don't know, the whole premise for the article was kind of weak, and I'm sure there are hundreds of pre-rusted-at-the-factory Fiats and Lancias that would rate worse than the Countach. I agree with the comment above that the author just wanted to have a Ferrari and Lamborghini on the list to make things interesting. After all, no one here's scrambling to defend the Fiat Strada...

17. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Wrong about the Lancia! I still have my Zagato (Lancia Spyder) with 64,000 original miles. The only problems I have ever had with it were, the Bosch air flow meter, one Bosch fuel injector, & the ZF stearing rack seals - the only problem with Lancia was using POS German parts. Now if only the Italians would learn to out source to Toyota their quality would improve dramatically.

18. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I am sure there are at least 10 if not 100 other italian cars that are worse than the Mondial or Countach, but then again who would read or react to an article that listed the worst cars and everyone agreed. He had to include a Ferrari and a Lambo so someone would talk about the article. Wasn't the first Miura examples just rediculously unreliable and I am sure the visability isn't much better out of one of them, so why didn't he have the guts to put the original muira on the list?\

19. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I still love the Countach and the only reason I never bought one is that there are too many fake kit cars of them going about.
    They were never designed to be practical, can anyone name a true sports car that is practical, that will go over speed bumps and get all the shopping into

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Porsche

21. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Why being upset about adding the Mondial to the list?

As Mondial owner I can very well understand the criticism towards the car. As a 2+2 seater it offers some practicability but demands sacrifices in terms of style and performance.

The only reason for me to buy the t cab: I wanted a relatively rustproof convertible with seats for the kids that still offers some excitement. This narrows the shopping list to a very limited choice of cars. W/o the need for two extra seats I would have definitely chosen another Ferrari w/o fixed roof.

22. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Would somebody, anybody, please teach me how to kill or hide threads such as this?

TIA

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ironically, while I think it's reasonable to bash the Countach for it's overall lack of usability, the Mondial is one of the most usable Ferraris!

Oh well, consistency... small minds... whatever.

24. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Seems they threw the Mondial in for shock value, it really doesn't specify why its a "terrible" car other than hints at its looks.

My defination of terrible would be unreliable and rusting out in showrooms which is many of the Fiat 4 door sedans.

25. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    But it doesn't do any Mondial sellers any favours, unless serious buyers wouldn't read an Msn write up