Top 3 Ferraris under £/$200K that are most likely to appreciate | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Top 3 Ferraris under £/$200K that are most likely to appreciate

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Evotion, Apr 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    CS
    Scud

rob lay likes this.
  2. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Blimey. I thought I would leave it a week and see if anybody replied. :)

Ha - No, I have not posted the question on a Lambo or Porsche forum. They are of course on my radar but ONLY these models:

Porsche 911 GT3/RS (997)
    Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera or Balboni (A RWD Huracan EVO is coming towards me in price)

Anyway, back on topic.

I am deadly serious. I am coming into money (early pension drawdown) and looking to rather spend £1ook but can spend £150-odd.
    I have been a Ferrari fan all my life and grew up with the 328, Testarossa, 288 GTO and F355. Family then came and I was not as interested in any Ferrari for ages and now I find myself hankering after any 'last of breed' Ferrari, as in a Manual F430 or the N/A 458.
    I just cannot being myself to fancy the 550. 575 is nice and I prefer the 599 over both and they look like a LOT of car for about £100k.

I have had a good look at the CS and Scud and they do look like the models most likely candidates for financial stableness and don't scare me as a purchase.

I wont get the money for a while but if I had it I would definitely investigate this Scud properly:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009294359982

Low miles, Ferrari dealer and looks like a reasonable spec for £150k

Some great comments in here.
    I am naturally heart driven towards a Manual/Gated car - it just shouts 'originality' and 'engagement' to me and as the car will be a weekend and sunny climate toy then perhaps it should ALL be about heart.

On the flipside :rolleyes: we have auto on our Bentley GTC and the Golf R and RS3 before that were both DCT and they are MUCH MUCH better as daily drivers and traffic situations.

Either way, whatever car it is, I will almost certainly only buy from an official dealer of that marque. I know it will have been properly looked at, offer a comfort level and also likely come with a 1 or 2 year factory warranty though not sure when they stop offering those depending on car age.

Your replies mean a lot. I truly appreciate it and it has definitely helped me narrow down my search.
    My 'mental' issue is that this means SO much to me. I can't bear making a mistake
    I want to make the right decision for me yet keeping in mind I will have to face the missus 2 years hence and show her that I still have a car worth a lot for her place abroad :)

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #53 greyboxer, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Welcome back - realistically on the budget you have you must be prepared to lose about fifty grand over a few years be it depreciation or maintenance in total - I can see the logic for a 599 even if it may well be towards the end of warranty (15 yr max) - at the sort of age you'll be looking at there may be limited choice at official dealers but the official warranty is to some extent purchaseable

You really need to try some contrasting vehicles when your funds are available to see what really floats your boat

And don't get too hung up on mileage - for the age you are looking at putting anything on a car under 10000 miles will compromise the premium you have paid for it

Evotion likes this.
  4. Evotion

Evotion Karting

Feb 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adrian Elford
    Absolutely. I will take a ride in all of the shortlist with my oldest son, as his input means a lot to me.
    His all-time favourite car is a 458 Italia. I wish I could afford a Speciale :)

I was figuring on £10k a year to run the car but was hoping depreciation would be minimal so the financial impact is just the having fun bit!

488s have come into play but they are not for me. With a 458 I would not be able to have a manual of course but the N/A engine makes up somewhat.

I reckon my top 3 right now are, in an order that changes daily, a manual F430 Spyder, a 458 Spyder and a 911 GT3 RS (997)
    I have had a couple of LHD cars before and that doesnt scare me IF the spec, condition and price is right.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a pretty good top 3. I speak as a manual 430 Spider owner and I know the other 2 well.
    If driving them a lot, and also in urban areas and cruising, 458 Spider definitely the best of the two Ferraris.
    For backroad blasts in great conditions, manual 430 spider is just very special and for me more fun. Particularly, it is exciting at within legal speeds in the UK. The 458 capability envelope is that much higher so needs more pushing to create the excitement.
    But as a daily and an all rounder, 458 is much better.
    GT3 RS is another kind of car. It won't make you feel special every time you get in it, but amazing to drive when pushed.

My order would be the same as yours, and Scud would be number 2 after the gated 430.

Evotion likes this.
  6. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    The 458 is something special. Bought one 8 months ago for $190k and sold it recently for $210k. I know the used supercar market is having a bit of a moment right now so it doesn't speak to what the next few years will look like, but the 458 makes a sound that the 488/f8/sf90 dont, and that is worth something to a lot of folks.

Nonoyeahyeah, Themaven and Evotion like this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The other way to pose this question- which ferraris post 2000 have reached the bottom of dep curve?

gated 430- too late
    Cs- too late

355- might be too late?

gated 360- turning the corner

f1 360/430 starting to firm up

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Now is not the time to buy anyway. An early low-mile Murcielago with a manual in a good color just hammered for $405k....insanity

3 years ago this was a $170k car or less.

one4torque likes this.