Top 5 Disliked Ferraris of All Time | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Top 5 Disliked Ferraris of All Time

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Top 3 most hated list must include:

Anything Mansory has touched
    Anything Liberty Walk has touched
    Any “slammed” Ferrari

technom3, ursoenzo, stavura and 8 others like this.
  2. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Now here's a list EVERYONE can agree with :D

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I thought you owned a mondial no? I agree with pretty much your all list;) none of them are ugly just not Ferrari perfect... the real question is then do they drive like Ferrari? I have not driven all of them but wasn’t impressed with the 348 or the California, the FF actually impressed me; thing is fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As somebody else said, the Mondial is like the Scotty Pippen of the NBA, Ringo Star of the Beatles, Édouard Manet of art, the Bella Hadid of models.

Taken on its own merits, a fantastic car - but perpetually in the shadow of its family members.

I was prepared to admit foolishness on my part for acquiring the car. The Mondial is often the punchline of many an automotive joke.

I can say that after nearly six years; the experience has been nothing short of glorious. I kept on shaking my head, not in disgust and affirmation of the negative things said about the car, but in marvel and sincere astonishment on why the car got such a bad rap.

Lest implied inexperience on my part makes you roll your eyes with what I just wrote, my benchmark mind you was an Acura NSX which I also had, which the same 'journalists' said was eating "Ferrari's lunch" in that era.

This surprise compelled me to do much research and finding out the reasons why and how this happened. I have a 3 part article that I believe largely explains the hows and whys. My conclusion was this, for those that don't care what some article rurgitators think, it's the Ferrari world's best-kept secret and value.

I know many may read this and disagree, if this is you, please challenge my assertion, this is not thrown out there in chest pumping bravado, but a sincere and humble gesture of illuminating any areas of question.

Makuono, Portofino, 2cam and 2 others like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

No, no I always love your writings and explanations;)

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I feel the same with your posts friend! Also let me state that there is no Ferrari I dislike. I will take any of them! My list was just what I've seen the peanut gallery throw around as 'bad.'

I liken it to locker room talk about which Miss Universe is 'ugly' or bad.

Just fun banter. My suspicion is these same folks would change their tune if said critical target asked them for a 'date'?

:)

To further prove my point, Jeremy Clarkson himself said an F50 was 'worse' then a Ferrari Mondial. So I think this clearly illuminates the realm of hypothetical nonsense one inhabits when you start throwing scenarios around like this.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes Jeremy really didn’t like the F50. I never driven one so I would know. He is pretty lucky;)

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Jeremy Clarkson also said the Testarossa is a dog and the Mondial it's dinner, around the same time he said the 348 was 'simply the best' yet years later said he 'lied about the whole thing'

My point being?

Don't listen to 'journalists' - the only 'reviewer' that counts is yourself.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

They also say not to drive your childhood dreams but personally my TR has been all I ever wished for;)

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can't ya find it in your heart to flip-flop 5) and 6), and get the Cali out of your top 5? ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No Need, I love them both!

I've noticed Americans never really was enthralled with hatchbacks, I think that plus the 4 seats which always is 'red hair' in the Ferrari world, is what makes some folks shun the FF/Lusso.

As for the California, it too has the 2+2 'red-hair' and what some people argue is a overly big butt. I think it looks great, and you know what? Kim Kardashian has her share of admirers and copy cats, sir-mix-a-lot was ahead of his time...

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I mean I get it. Food critics, Theater Snobs, and Movie reviewers...they sometimes have to go 'against the grain' to get exposure and publicity. Clarkson epitomizes this. I've been guilty myself taking his comments a bit too seriously, the key thing is he's equal parts reviewer and comedian. Take this into consideration and he's a lot of fun!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #63 ralfabco, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    I like this car.

50's cars have a unique appeal.

It's Christine, with Italian guts.

All the classic F cars look good.

Post 575M things began to unravel and became worse with each new design.

I don't care for the modern cars with the exterior style, absence of a manual transmission, video game gauges and gadgets and nanny controls. I don't even know the model designations. yawn.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think the list would be better titled:

Ferrari’s least likely to purchase (if you have a plethora of cash and choices)... probably wouldn’t kick any of them out of bed? Right?

They are ALL cool and have some things to like if you are a Tifosi. If you don’t have the cash but love Ferrari, then your choices will be more limited and you may be more likely to buy one that is on this disliked list.

Go to the museum in Modena, or Maranello and after you see all the cars - ask yourself:

“Which car would I never want?” You’d probably want a wearhouse and all of them...

Robb

tomc likes this.
  15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A "journalist" who complains that a Ferrari doesn't "look good enough" has missed the point of a Ferrari.

The "trade" rags also complained about the "looks" of the EVO -- and indeed, it's not a pretty car.
    But the driver is behind the wheel, not outside looking at it. ;)

I don't really want a car that's so pretty that people will stand in front of it taking cell phone snaps.
    I want a car that people run to get out of its way. :p

paulchua likes this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The only problem I see with FFs and California’s (and for that matter, 360’s) is they look too...accessible...in the sense that they lack exclusivity...they’re the cars you’d expect rich non-car people in Beverly Hills to buy and own for a couple years until a new trendy model comes around. The first nice car a new actor in the latest Star Wars movie might own.

But to my eyes, all 3 of those are more beautiful than the beloved f40 or Daytona. Although the FF is a little like something I’d expect from Audi instead of Ferrari.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I think we have your next Ferrari!
    T

Robb and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    tomc likes this.
  19. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  20. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I agree with a lot of the selections. The Enzo never did it for me. It looks like a car designed by 3 teams and then put together. The car has the front, then passenger compartment , then the last third. The F40 looks like one car by the same team of designers. I like the La Ferrari a lot. I also think the 512M is on the list.

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Clarkson's signature. Liking and then not liking. It causes controversy of which he thrives on. They're all just opinions at the end of the day but Clarkson and co do influence regular folk who probably don't have access to such cars to believe it and then just regurgitate it.

I'm quite convinced it was clarkson that eventually tarred Audi with BMW. He said many years back that the BMW owner had moved over to Audi and took all his traits with him. From that point on I heard the same bollocks said of BMW also said of Audi owners.

paulchua likes this.
  22. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Lets ask this question in a couple of years time and the answer will be easy...V6 hybrid...!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    My thoughts as well… I suspect not far along the road, the top 5 will be filled with recent and yet-to-be-launched Ferraris, like hybrids and SUVs.

Even the likes of the "underpowered" 208s, Mondials, and "underdesigned" 400s will come to be appreciated by contrast, if not by anything else.

I can fully see people in a couple of years looking back on those models and saying a series of "at leasts": "at least it had 12 cylinders", "at least it smelled of gas", etc.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tomc likes this.
  24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    how is the 575 not on this list. I have one and in 3 months it was for sale nobody looked at it, the dealer i bought it from has a low mile one for sale approaching 24 months now and its a low mile red one. Everyone on this site hates them bc most dont have sticks,they're basically worthless apparently. Go look at the thread on here about which ferrari would you buy under $200k, i dont think 1 person said the 575.

I love mine, its incredibly rare I believe 500 or less ever came to the US, its the first v12 car with an F1 transmission, its possibly the best looking front engine car of the last 25 years.....and yet nobody likes them, all the ones on ebay have been there forever.

I might have to give mine away for free one day to get someone to take it off my hands.

LeoBRK, technom3 and ChipG like this.
  25. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That's odd. Don't believe it is thought of the same here (UK). All this stick nonsense defeats me. What is the big deal pushing a clutch in anyway? Bit of fun toe and heeling but really is it worth it?