Top 5 ugliest Ferraris | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Top 5 ugliest Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by m5shiv, Dec 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    See, that's the thing, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and while all these cars may or may not be ugly from the outside,
    if the engine and drive train are doing their job, to me this is the most important view to consider.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Open road. Sunny day. Cavallino on the steering wheel. Confident in the knowledge that 99% of the people you pass on the road would happily trade places with you. :D I think that applies to any of the F-cars mentioned in this thread. An ugly Ferrari is still a Ferrari!
    T
    p.s. Like Bas, I like the looks of the FF and 400 series cars. We'll have to agree to disagree on Gen 1 Californias!

G. Pepper, davemqv, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    paulchua and Jakuzzi like this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that 2nd pic is mine, he was a character out of Oklahoma, wrote a book about his life, very interesting guy! when 250 GT's took off in value 10 years ago they converted it back to original spec.

Smiles likes this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    1. Mondial
    2. SF90
    3. FF
    4. 400
    5. Most likely the SUV

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Wow. FF getting dumped on in this thread lol. I actually think the FF looks badass with the right specs. Unique. FF over California all day any day :)

LordVennFF and sisiay like this.
  7. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    mexicruiser and JCR like this.
  8. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree with this. I REALLY didn't care for the FF at first. It has grown on me over time. In the right specs, and at the right angles (as with many cars), it really is pretty bada$$!!

Kevin

ShineKen likes this.
  9. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Agree on the FF. I think it looks good especially in black. I have a hard time calling any Ferrari ugly, but I suppose it's all subjective. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

fiatosca and rob lay like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love it as well, I think folks either like Hatchbacks or don’t. No right or wrong. :)

ShineKen likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I’ve also noticed Europeans tend to like hatchbacks more then Americans. I really like hatchbacks and think the FF/Lusso looks great.

davemqv likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A lot of 308GT4s were in bad shape, a fully restored one is a beauty in my opinion.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Mine looks good in person but it’s not a car that photograph well.
    Overall I don’t know if it’s a car to be cherished forever; it’s pretty dull for a Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Citroen Ami 6, my mother drove me around in one of those in Stockholm in around 1967 when I was three, I was fascinated by the rear window angled inwards:) The next car in the last photo is an Ami 8, the next model, with a more conventional back end. This was at the Padova show late October they were like new!

And yes I was going to post a photo of that Abbott (and Costello drive Franken farroree;-)) 212 as the ugliest ever.

I find the new open or closed F car whatever it is called ugly origami, bring back Pininfarina.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting thoughts. Pretty dull in terms of appearance or in terms of driving experience? Or just the overall experience of owning?

Kevin

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Journalist Anatoly Arutunoff.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Driving experience. Not loud enough without some serious exhaust work, fun but heavy. It has to be ur second Ferrari to complement a mid engine v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kes7u likes this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yes. It’s like saying an SUV looks ugly because it’s an SUV. For a hatchback/wagon design, what out there looks better than an FF? To me, it’s like a hatchback/wagon version of an F12.

LordVennFF, paulchua and Quietriot like this.
  21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    512M (the Testarossa "evolution" not the race car)
    SF90
    Mondial
    365 2+2 Queen Mother - I just think its proportions are wrong

There are several vintage coachbuilt one-off bodied cars that could be mentioned, but I tried to pick the cars that were more "mass produced".

1 left....leaving the space open for the SUV...

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Now THAT is cool!

You are right on that!

23. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari (with Pininfarina/Bertone) has generally set a high bar for design, and most of what I consider failures tend to be portions of the car that throw the whole thing off for me, so it's less "make a list" and more "discuss it with friends at length". Lol

1) I think the rear of the 812 Superfast derails an otherwise great design.

2) I think the "t" iteration of the Mondial coupe (not the cab) looks too milquetoast and boxy, and all the 348 GTS/GTB designs look too awkward and "in between" the old and the new for me. In general, I always feel the late 80's and early 90's were a poor time for design at Ferrari. Mostly just adapted versions of older, more aggressive designs that lost more and more of their edge with each new update. The 348 in particular always struck me as the moment when the design team at Pininfarina completely ran out of ideas and just traced a Testarossa over a 328 on the light table and called it a day.

3) The roof line on hatchback of the FF/Lusso kills the design for me, similar to the effect of the rear end on the 812. They could have rounded it off, kept the trunk space, and the look would have been entirely different. More of a domed fastback but still weird and unique. That said, I agree that Americans have a prejudice against "wagons' that I usually go against, and I am trying to teach myself to like the overall design, but I'm failing so far.

4) The California and California T. To me these have always looked too bloated to be taken seriously, almost like the Fisher Price version of an older Ferrari. But I find this to be a trend with a lot of new cars and I would have probably just shrugged and accepted it, but cars like the F12 and 812 (despite the awful rear end) show that they still do know how to make sleek, mean looking cars. They just didn't do it here. I think it was an attempt at mass appeal and (please don't shoot me because this is not meant as a bad thing) to appeal to women.

5) The 488. I think there is a wavy progression to Ferrari design starting in the 1980's. They debut something exciting and cool, then sort of drop the ball and just make adjustments to it for future models that sort of ruin the original design. For example, the 308 is an iconic design. The 328? Sort of just a watered down version of the older car. Most people dislike the Mondial to start with (Philistines!) but I think the same argument applies. The earlier cars look meaner. The integrated bumpers of the 3.2 and later series squash the nose and tail and make it a boxier looking car, which to me doesn't look as good. The 360 was a totally different car than the 355. Great design (although it too me a while to adjust). But then the 430? Really just a reworked 360 shape that to me looks like someone put an aftermarket body kit on it. Then the 458 arrived. Hallelujah! Stunning car. Best new design in a long time. But then the 488? Why? What's the point? Those air scoops? I saw a 488 spyder pull into the driveway at Chateau Marmont last year before the world ended and had the same reaction as I do to the Cali's - unnecessary bloat...looks like a kids toy made life-size. In contrast, whenever I see a 458, now a 10+ year old design, I think "Holy God that's a beautifully mean looking car!"

Now for Ferrari's most people dislike that I absolutely love -

1) Early Mondial coupes. They don't photograph well, I'll grant you, and the design is indeed awkward in some ways, but in real life they look every bit as good to me as the sibling GTB. Low and aggressive. And I think the awkwardness of the design is a plus. I have a QV coupe and if I somehow was able to acquire a 275 GTB, a 250 SWB, and a 250 California Spider tomorrow, I'd still keep my Mondial.

2) 308 GT/4 Dino. One of the coolest 70's cars around. Low and mean. Like a Stratos mated with the 512 S Pininfarina Modulo. So cool. And possibly the best Ferrari interior of all time...they got the whole concept of "space fighter cockpit" 100% right - 45 years before Corvette tried it with much less success in the Z8. Just please don't blow the prices up again until I buy one!

3) 400/400i/412. When I was younger I used to hate these cars based on the principle that "they don't look like Ferrari's!" Now I see them as unique, very modern and timeless looking GT cars. The Ferrari for guys who have great taste, are totally self possessed, and have literally zero inferiority complex that needs placating with a "cooler" Ferrari.. I'm hoping that this adjustment in thinking is what will happen to me with the FF over time. We'll see.

4) 365 GTC/4. Many find these cars ugly due to the rubber "mouth" on the front or see them as uglier versions of the Daytona. I think they are a lovely design in their own right.

5) 365 GT 2+2. Many find the car to be simply too big and the proportions to be off, although again, in real life I don't find this to be the case at all. In photos they can appear to have "too much junk in the trunk" as they say, but I like them quite a bit. Very elegant looking cars.

24. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard