Top Gear 918 vs. La Ferrari vs. P1 | FerrariChat

Top Gear 918 vs. La Ferrari vs. P1

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by nsx2F355, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What's with the P1 and La Ferrari not being able to go at it on the track? Could someone please elaborate on a reason that DOES make sense of why they won't allow this head to head to happen. Threatening not to invite La Ferrari owners to purchase future limited edition cars F cars sounds absurd. I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I thought I would throw it out anyways for discussion. This thread is in relation to the Top Gear episode last night.

2. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I understand that there is a belief that Ferrari Hyper Car should never loose but come on. The world wants to see this more than Manny and Mayweather right?

3. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Ferrari threatening owners who allowed their cars to be tested goes as far back as the F50.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's very silly and childish of Ferrari.

5. Fortitude

Fortitude Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Entire thing is a farce. The 918 has the record at the Nurburgring and was faster than the P1 at Anglesey.

McLaren should be the one who should be laughed at. They are the ones who made the claims, not Ferrari and they are trying to come up with every way they can to not back them up.

6. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    one word: Fear

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #7 SPEEDCORE, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    So McLaren did not want the H2H with Porsche but they were ready for a triple test only if Ferrari, which never calimed anything, never wanted to do any tests, and finally agreed if their car was sure to be in good shape, played along the nationalistic Top Gear agenda.

BS

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We watched the show. La Fcar aka F70 looks better and sounds better. We want one. ;)

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yeah, no needs for tests, numbers, claims, explainings.... Habemus Papam! :)

As Hammond said you don't have to come home with the lap-dancer and explain your mum she has 3 A-levels ;)

11. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The first rule about LA Ferrari vs. P1 track attack is don't talk about about LA Ferrari vs. P1 track attack. Props to Porsche for Ring time and putting their super car out there without stipulations.

12. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    You can see James May meant it when he said LaF is the best car in the world. By that engine sound alone (and by God what a sound!), it's hard to disagree.

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    When you have cars like these, I'm guessing the companies know that there are the areas in which they excel, and those in which they will be less strong, and a carefully planned test could be biased in favour of one or the other. If they did the test themselves internally they would always design tests that demonstrate their product in the best light, whereas outsiders may have agenda. Would you allow your product to be tested against your biggest rival product, worth millions in business, without exercising some control over how the results are presented? I don't think so.

Ferrari has, and needs, the mystique of the brand, and enzo himself was a harsh and secretive individual. Ferrari are simply making their brand more unattainable, which generates revenue and future business. If I had a laferrari, I would be happy that they are protective over the car.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, as if top gear would STOP the first head to head runs for these cars for a single joke. Very funny Mclaren :D.

Ferrari and Mclaren are both to blame equally.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Top Gear has the 3 super cars in their studio and ready to actually test them on their track to determine which is fastest. First, McLaren says no because it claims the 918 will have an advantage in certain portions of the track due to AWD. Keep in mind, this is the very same course that Mclaren used to develop the P1. Ferrari refuses to permit their LaFerrari be used and is so insistent they actually send security to ensure it will not happen. When it is suggested by the hosts that they will simply attain the car from a private owner, Ferrari issues a threat that stipulates that any LaFerrari owner who offers their car to Top Gear will be permanently barred from ever being offered a limited edition car.
    Porsche, uniquely clearly confident in their car's ability, issues no caveats, restrictions or conditions.

McLaren's response is obvious. They fear being bested by the 918, a car that sells for many hundreds of thousands of dollars less than their P1.
    Ferrari's heavy handed, deer in the headlights attitude is clearly based on the very real prospect of losing the race to a Porsche whose price compared to the Ferrari can buy you the 918, a 458 and an FF.

The 2 most expensive car manufacturers in this scenario running scare, one resorting to issuing dictatorial threats to their most prized and valued customers, while the considerably cheapest priced car maker displays complete confidence in their creation.

Very interesting and revelatory.

16. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
  17. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Easy solution. There are LaFerraris for sale right now out in the wild for around $3M. TopGear should go out and buy one. Race it. Then sell it when they are done. Who wouldn't want the LaFerrari that appeared on TV and driven by these guys for the shootout? It might actually add value to the car!

There is no way to stop this from happening and Ferrari can blame themselves for hand picking buyers who weren't so loyal after all and are flipping their cars so soon.

I'm ready to go buy one and offer it to them for testing since Ferrari isn't likely to offer me a limited edition car anyway in my lifetime. Call me topgear! Let's make it happen.

As some noted above. For these companies it all comes down to fear of losing. A loss will be somewhat devastating for the brand and the car of any of these manufacturers.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Go do it. Love to see the results. Ferrari's fear of losing is obviously very real. Otherwise, they would have been anxious to prove the superiority of their car. The other very revealing factor is Top Gear were adamant that they would only test a production car not one sent by Ferrari specifically for the test. Ferrari insisted on sending them a car from their facility directly to them. Translation- this version would be modified and enhanced compared to a regular production car. This is further evidence not only of their insecurity of the performance capability of the LaFerrari but is highly unethical and they are guilty of gross misrepresentation. The deduction from all this is that their all out 1.4 Million dollar super car in its as production form is insufficient to beat a $845000 competitor without performance enhancements secretly installed.

19. phyek

phyek Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    Great PR for Porsche :)

20. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    The first part is a good idea! They sure as hell can afford it.

21. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm a big fan of Ferrari, the car. I'm a driver (and big fan) of Porsche -- but things like this (and their marketing/customer service approach overall) make me a big fan of Porsche the company too.

The confidence they have in their product says it all.

22. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    No disrespect, but some of u guys have no clue what you are talking about.

The biggest losers in this issue are McLaren. They were the ones claiming that their car is the fastest car in the world on any track. Now, they can't back their claims with proof. I'm not even talking about the fact that the TG track is the same track on which they developed their car.
    Porsche whooped their ass in every test.
    As 4 Ferrari, they never stated that their car is the fastest. However, it's the most exciting by far. The reason they won't provide one is simple: if they loose, it will affect the brand value. It's just business at the end of the day.

23. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Let's face it at some point one way or another these 3 cars will be matched up. Getting a hold of these 3 cars from customer or secondary customers isn't going to be very hard to do.

I guarantee we will see the shootout of these 3. Just a matter of where and when now. It will be sooner rather than later. While the mfg's may not want it the media and fans all do so it's gonna happen.

I will predict whoever loses will have excuses as to why. They will blame tires. They will blame the driver. They will blame the integrity of the test environment. They will blame the cars acquired for the test and say they weren't maintained. They will blame the fuel. They will say the track was custom picked to benefit X car and hurt Y car. You can add your own excuses because there won't be any shortage of them. The losers will never simply admit they were beaten fair and square. There will always be a reason or several that things didn't go their way.

24. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Actually most of you are still wrong. Ferrari and porsche both said that they would do it but only with factory cars, while mclaren are the only ones who want customer cars.

25. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I think to avoid all bias and excuses it has to be customer factory delivered cars. If the mfg's are supplying the cars the losers can claim tampering for improvements. This would kill the credibility of the test.

How hard for these mfg's to tune the output or tweak some other things that that TopGear would never know or be able to show/prove.

The mfg's can make whatever demands they want. In the end three customer cars will find their way to the track and it's going to happen and all that will be left for the losers is the crying and excuses.

My predictions on the winner here? The consumers and fans :)