Top Gear 918 vs. La Ferrari vs. P1 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Top Gear 918 vs. La Ferrari vs. P1

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by nsx2F355, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Er, no! They just wanted to make sure that the car was in peak condition.

2. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    It says that LaFerrari buyers are smart - just look at the resale values of LaFerrari, probably could sell them for double what they paid for them a day earlier.

3. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    Don't forget that Ferrari is the halo brand of sports cars, just like Apple is for smartphones. Even though a company like Samsung may come out with a model that is superior in many ways to the Apple product, Apple will continue to command a premium in the marketplace for its new products.

So when LaFerrari is compared with P1 and 918, unless either of these two is miles better than LaFerrari, it automatically wins. For many people, the only thing better than a high revving V12 engine is a high revving V12 with a prancing horse logo on it.

4. s-mario

s-mario Karting

Jan 17, 2013
    #79 s-mario, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    I reckon that poster is just trolling, it was blatantly obvious that McLaren has been manipulating results by withholding the P1 from tests or tracks or when disadvantageous results were registered and put pressure on UK press outlets to embargo results until a better lap time had been achieved while at the same time marketing said vehicle as being superior to the competition at "any track, any time" even when a factory prepared vehicle was used. Ferrari had done none of this, yet said poster's agenda seems to be to fabricate a 'conspiracy theory'.

5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    that may or may not be true. However, that doesn't pertain to the matter at hand. that statement matters as much as "my car is blue with a cup holder".

Porsche is willing to play, no conditions attached.
    McLaren (knowing Ferrari's propensity to bring ringers), wants cars bought off the lot so the playing field is level.
    Ferrari, unless they can bring a car they tune before hand, refuses to play.

if you have the time....How Ferrari Spins
    FYI, I, as well as many posters here, own a Ferrari. We love our cars. They are great. However, we are not so blind that we believe the sky is green just b/c Ferrari says so. Chris Harris even bought a Ferrari after stating publicly that he doesn't like the company.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Even though that the Ferrari brand name is akin to Apple recognition-wise, their products are usually superior to those of the competition; unlike those i-crap thingies. And yes, there is nothing better than a high-revving Ferrari V12! ;)

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's downright false and invalidates your whole line of arguments.

8. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    How about this: TG unofficially tested all 3 cars on track (just as probation before making actual video for show). They got rough numbers for all 3 cars. Some birds from TG whispered those numbers to manufacturers. Shortly after, TG is sending official request to manufacturers so they can use cars for track battle that will be showed on TV. They are getting cold shower from McLaren & Ferrari since they know in advance what could be final result.

On the other hand Porsche seems satisfied with their car, so they dont mind whatever number they get on TG (remember silly video from EVO, where poor Jethro had to drive P1 two times, since first time car was not specially prepared by McLaren technicians and tires weren't super sticky. On the other hand, Porsche sent 918 without any preparation & without their technicians, it was driven with stock tires and with opened roof :D)

9. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    TWO OF THESE THREADS NOW????

10. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    #85 qwertstnbir, Mar 1, 2015
    Porsche don't afraid at all, they have nothing to lose, their car is the cheapest, heaviest and it's roadster :D
    I like Porsche as a brand everyday more and more :D

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Separating the car from the company depends upon ones ideology perspective. There is much evidence and little doubt that Ferrari doctors their review samples to outperform regular production models. Read the Chris Harris article for a candid, detailed account of this. To many, this conduct is reprehensible and unethical. Therefore the integrity of the company itself must be called into question. The dilemma would then follow, how in good conscience can one purchase a product manufactured by a morally delinquent company. Yet, at the same time, the product itself is admired and loved. Clearly, Ferrari owners ultimately have chosen the car despite the questionable ethical practises of the company.

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I am getting a 918...I would have preferred the Ferrari, slower or not, but I am not VIP enough alas

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Evidence? What evidence?

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #89 Coincid, Mar 1, 2015
    Read the article by Chris Harris on Jalopnik. I know it is hard for you to believe and open your eyes to the realities of your beloved Ferrari, the company.

15. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    Neither Ferrari or Mclaren are interested in a 3 way comparison on the Top Gear track because they know the Porsche would win. Think about it - standing start means that the 918 would already have at least a 1/3 of a second advantage going into the first corner. Given the short track layout, their higher top speeds (and better acceleration at higher speeds) would be negated. And with the front electric motor literally pulling the 918 out of the corners, they would not be able to make up that time. In fact, they would lose more time.

That is not to say that the other two cars are slower on every track, only that they do not want to compete on the Top Gear track.

16. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I agree that the venue will definitely play to the different strengths and weaknesses of each of the 3 cars. However, the gold standard is the Ring so it would be great if Mclaren or Ferrari would put up their times for that track and see if they can break that 7 minute barrier.

I've heard rumors that Mclaren P1 beats it but only when counted in "best of" segments of the ring. Have not heard about a single run, start to finish, that they bested the 918. It's easier for these hybrids to play a "best of segment" game on the ring because you can sandbag and charge the batteries to peak and then go all out on the current segment being timed. Not really a true gauage of a single lap time.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #92 Igor Ound, Mar 1, 2015
    That's no evidence. Just a "journalist" looking for free publicity at the time who then re-swallowed his own words by saying Ferrari does the best cars in the world so many times since that I feel sick.

Why did he not denounce the "facts" at the time they happened? I guess because he had a job back then.

If you want to read how super-partes he is read this from himself http://jalopnik.com/how-auto-journalism-fails-when-nationalism-gets-involve-1686723025

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I am well familiar with that libel, which has been shot down. At any rate, even Harris refrained from suggesting that the company uses ringers. He said that the level of control they exert, annoys him. His problem, not ours.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup.

It's full of people all in different camps making the exact same post constantly. I barely look in them anymore. It's far worse than any F1 driver related thread we've had on this forum so far (and those get BAD!).

Pathetic.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I only see 1 out of ten posts of the other thread as I have all the Mcliers on ignore. Thought this had something new to talk about but it's becoming like the other, only 3 years back.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Was only a matter of time before they migrated to this thread as well. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

We should start up a topic of 2 girls lezzing out, one wearing ferrari underwear and the other Mclaren out and see how long they'll take before bashing each others heads in again about which supercar is superior because on a corner in some race track none of them have ever driven on it'll be .01 seconds faster than the other because it has better tires and superior aero, but the other car is actually better because over a 3 laps race it'll have seen many more erections because it's exhaust is 17 grams more better.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ron Dennis says McLaren girls and boys should do like him and wear their underwear on their heads;) just saying

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Most of these car companies send the best possible example of their car for the tests. That's how it is. It is no a surprise each company tries to push it a bit. Its business, and in the case of all three of these companies, they are also racing companies and pushing it is the name of the game. Sometimes they go too far. That comes with the territory.

I think we try to personalize these things... "I'd never do that"... but most of us have no idea the kind of pressures these endeavors place their creators under.

As to the road/track test/ Top Gear... If they would all be willing I suggest each manufacturer select their preferred track and send along their preferred driver and then they run all 3 cars at the 3 locations. Each company would have their selected driver at the helm. For added interest they could then allow The Stig to take a few laps in each car and see which time is the best. So the test would be as much about the cars as the companies best drivers.

They'll probably never do that but it seems to me this way we could see how these cars do in different environments.

For my part I respect all three companies very much as well as their cars- but Ferrari has always been my favorite and I still feel that way after visiting with (but not driving) all three.

24. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The fundamental problem is simple. The restriction on owners doing what they want. If owners don't face backlash for providing a car to test, then all would be fine. TG would get some owner cars, put them on the track of a bunch of laps (which is how they do it) and the best times of each will be used. If they all put up close times, then who cares? If one trounces the others, then it would be meaningful info.

Unlikely that owners are abusing their cars so should be a roughly fair fight -- TG just needs to make sure tires are all up to spec, tires have tread and are inflated correctly.

The problem people have (and it isn't "fanboys" only) is that there is outside pressure on not testing the cars. This seems childish and insecure to me ... just my opinion... and so Porsche looks best.

I'm a big fan of Ferraris, the cars, but I just can't see how anyone can defend the practice of restricting owners from having the cars tested for entertainment. All the arguments seem so trivial and baseless to me... We don't need a complex approach to setting the rules and conditions, just have them test on the same day, on a dry track.

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats a good point.