Top tier gas at Costco | FerrariChat

Top tier gas at Costco

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2bf360, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    I like to know how many owners buy or use top tier gas, 92-octane at Costco on their Ferrari cars? If you used Costco gas how different in power did you feel compare to other gas stations like Shell, Texaco and Exxon which cost more than $1.50 or more?

2. Vespa67

Vespa67 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Full Name:
    Nick Vespa
    I use Costco all the time. Here in Indianapolis it is 93 octane. I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference in their gasoline vs. others. I don’t track my F430, but I do have a e46 M3 I use for that purpose and have run all sorts of different vendors, including Costco. I can’t tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bf360 likes this.
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I always use a "top Tier" gas station, most times Shell

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I filled my CS up at Costco for years until Costco quit accepting AMEX. All the gas comes from the same place.

SoftwareDrone and f355spider like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've used both Shell and Costco. 93 octane here in Texas. Can't tell the difference.
    T

6. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Any gas 92 octane or higher seems like the same. I try to use Shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    Thank you all for replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Cant place it now but although top tier ..the cleaner/additives are different among brands ...hard to say who has the best additives
    The gas is the same when it is refined but each agent adds their own cocktail of additives

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LightGuy likes this.
  9. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I'd use it.

I tend to love shell personally, but I'd use Cosco.

10. griffith500

griffith500 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I use COSTCO since years w/o any issues for both street and track cars. Chances of ever getting old fuel there are close to zero in our area, they have lines of cars there 7 days/week throughout the day.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Indeed most all gas does come from the same refiner in a specific geographic area, but the additive pack with vary with each vendor

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have never noticed a difference with any pump gas....even before "top tier" existed, or now. I have even purchased (at greater expense) pure gas, without alcohol added...again, no discernable difference. I only use "top tier" now, but it would be very hard to find anyone not selling "top tier" since all major retailers sell it. I was even told by a Costco buyer years ago, that they met the "top tier" designation based on their additives, but did not wish to go to the added expense of testing and paying marketing fees to the "top tier" organization, as it would bite into their already low margins. Obviously they figured out being the lone seller without the designation was starting to hurt sales...so they jumped on the bandwagon.

2bf360 likes this.
  13. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I only use Costco on all my cars, no issues at all. I'd stay a member just for the gas perks alone with the 4% cash back on the costco card but there are so many other benefits especially when you have 3 small kids. You'd have to be a moron regardless of income not to be a member

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I too use Costco on all my cars with zero issues.

I used it on my 360 Spider, 2006 BMW M6 coupe, 2009 BMW M6 Cabrio, 2015 BMW M4, and now on my 2006 F430. Never had a problem.

I actually tried Shell one time just for comparison, then Costco gas and I cannot tell any difference whatsoever.

15. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I think when you use the more expensive gas you feel better. Other than that, not much difference. It depends on the state but there are required blends.

Some advice. Get 92 octane or better. use a station that pumps a lot of gas (fresh fuel and little contaminates), don't pump when the truck is there (mixing the tanks).

16. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I have never seen a refinery in the MD - DC area. I have been told ALL the gas in MD comes out of the same pipe in Baltimore up from the gulf. I have not seen a name brand fuel truck in years! Most stations around here have a 3rd party deliver their gas.

I think this is an interesting question, >99% of the population has no idea about basic and fundamental aspects of our existence and our economy.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is correct, and one truck can deliver to more than one branded station. I was told the additive packages are on the trucks in separate, smaller tanks and selected, blended and dispensed based on each brands requirements. But I am only quoting a guy who worked at a refinery and posted about his experience....so take what I am saying for a grain of salt....

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Your understanding and earlier statements are correct. Although there are nearby refineries in PA and DE, Baltimore probably gets most of its gasoline from the Colonial Pipeline which originates in the Texas refining centers. Gasoline (before blending) is a fungible commodity based on octane grades and is thus tradable between suppliers. To me, "Top Tier" means better quality controls. Chevron and Shell are regarded as having the best blending packages, but that is not to say the others are unacceptable as a minimum baseline must be achieved and state specs can also differ. Blending packages usually differ in detergent concentrations. Up to a point, more is better. Generally, you get what you pay for. Top Tier is really a marketing program that Costco must have joined recently.

Here is more about the Top Tier program (no affiliation):

http://www.toptiergas.com

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    See my post #12 :)

20. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Duly noted! I can remember in the early 2000s when the Top Tier program was comprised of only a handful of the O&G majors. That is where I was coming from regarding Costco and others today- nearly a 7 fold increase in participants. And as you commented above, the situation has now almost flipped to who is NOT in the program. :)

21. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I was wondering about those adds on the pump and how they could be possible!

22. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I was curios one day while filling up so I decided to call the number on a decal posted on the pump. According the state of MD official:

ALL gas in Columbia, MD comes from a pipeline from the gulf coast or a barge from Virginia. At the depot, it is mixed with the required federal and state additives.

when the delivery truck arrives, a code is entered and the proprietary (Shell, Exxon, BP, etc.) additives are mixed with the fuel filling the delivery truck. with the exception Sunoco, all the stations contract delivery out to a 3rd party delivery service. the majors do not want the liability of delivery accidents.

Costco is the only exception - they have an exemption where they also combine additives at the pump.

non-name brand gas can all be "generic" gas containing only the federal and state mandated additives. It is really unknown to the consumer if they contain additional additives or not unless specifically advertised.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My seat if pants feel and other non scientific research shows me that she'll is a lot better than Costco at least by me .. my cars seems to run better ..whether high end or low end ..have never used in exotic though

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ The additives are the big differentiator. IMHO the pecking order (for quality additive packages) is Chevron, Shell, Exxon, and no opinion thereafter.

LightGuy likes this.