Torn - 360 or 575? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Torn - 360 or 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kenny1022, Mar 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wait, wait, wait, the 928 guy (ME) didn't start this thread. The OP did not say WHAT he had been driving, only that he was looking for a 360 or a 575... I said something about the 928's (since they are 550/575 like, ie. big GT cars, top of the product line of the respective companies, heavy, big Tq, etc., etc.) and you guys have gone off on a tangent here.

BTW, ALL 928's have the Weissach rear axle and it was later adopted in a slightly modified form for the 993 and has been on all 911's since as I understand it. Yes, a 928 would feel like no roadster. The car is so stiff you just can't even imagine. New cars today are much better, but when the 928 was brought out it was one of the few cars you could jack a corner of the car off the ground and still open and close either door. I had a Spitfire that you could jack one wheel WAY OFF the ground and all three of the other wheels would stay on the ground! LOL! You could just about watch the thing bend!

I look forward to how this story finally turns out! Will it be the sporty 360 or the Tq monster V12 575???

The suspense is killing me!

Best,
    James
    Austin, TX

2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can get one of my folding chairs in a 355 or 360 even, but it would be just me and the chair.

Harder to get the "regular" chair into a 550/575 (though it would have to be a 575 because of the F1 tranny) but the folder would easily fit and still have room for someone else.

The 456 is the best of all (well, probably not quite as good as a 612 or a 400) and is SUPER easy to get even the regular chair in and out of...BTDT w/ the 456. LOVE'EM! Someday I will have one, but first I will start with the 400 later this year.

Thanks,
    James
    Austin, TX

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    The 456/550/575 is a mature person's car for someone who wants to be able to drive a Ferrari regularly and (or) has another sports car (or two) in the garage. They are great drivers on open roads but come short on the track because of weight - you can still keep up - but it's more about power than pure handling. Obviously they don't attract the attention of a V8...which can be a good thing at times :)

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That's why my 12 year old wants me to get a Murcielago or a Spyker!

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    First off, I heartily agree with your LAST statement. . . Keep that in mind before you decide to kick me!

I like the 456 just fine. I like the 599 and 612 a bit less. The 550 and 575, which are nearly identical visually, are THE most beautiful front engine, 12 cylinder Ferraris in the last forty years, while the 360 is the LEAST attractive of any of the eight-cylinder midengined cars.

As for the driving experience, they're vastly different beasts. A significant part of your decision, if not all of it, should rest on that.

For the pure driving experience, I'd choose the 360 hands-down, because it's perfect for the kind of driving I love to do - and it's what Ferraris were made for, in my opinion.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

do NOT discount the 928 gts!!! drive a manual gts for a week and tell me that it is not a tremendous machine!!!!

very much in line w/ a 550.

7. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am surprised by how many folks who like the 550/575 don't like the 599 or 360 but DO like the 456. Seems like a lot of folks. The surprise to me is not that the 550/575 guys don't like the 360, I get that, but I am surprised that you guys DO seem to like the 456 but DON'T like the 599. Those last two things are what surprise me

To each his own though! That is why choice is such a great thing! Ferrari makes something for everyone! Not sure I buy that 550 best looking front engine V12 in last 40 years though... The Daytona's are just classics! Drop dead gorgeous!

Ferraripete is right on the money w/ the 5spd GTS's, they are pretty special cars! Not really modern car fast, but the last ones were built in '95 and of course came out of a design from the early '70's so it really just shows how ahead of their time they were and and how flexible the original was so that it could be used with minimal modification (pretty much just engine displacement upgrades) for nearly 20 years of production. Still FAST cars and fun capable and beautiful cars.

Best to you all!
    James
    Austin, TX

8. Scrooge

Scrooge Rookie

Jun 17, 2006
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    W. Hening
    Generally, and for what it is worth, the same people that do not notice a 550/575/599/612 are the same people you would prefer not to notice a 360/430.

9. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Much truth in that I would say!

10. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Okay, I was thinking of the Daytona as being 40 years old. I guess it isn't quite there yet. I should have said that the 550 and 575 are the best looking front-engined 12 cylinder Ferraris SINCE the Daytona!

The Daytonas are, indeed, classics, and drop dead gorgeous is, if anything, an understatement.

I do not agree that "Ferrari makes something for everyone," though. Nor should they!

Back to the OP's question: For looks: 550 or 575. For driving experience: 360.

So, the question for him is, "Which are you looking for?"

11. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    I drove both a 575 stick & a 360 stick back to back - before I drove them I thought I would walk away craving the 575 - not so - I wanted them both! They are both gorgeous but completely different - the 575 more sedate & comfortable & usable more often - but I had the biggest grin after I got out of the 360 - the feel & handling & sound are amazing - big fun for weekend drives in the country - not sure I would take it for the 2-hour drive to our lake house though. As you can see, I am torn as well for my purchase.

C.Lindzy
    Fort Wayne, IN

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It may come down to an age thing. What audience are you playing to? They say that no one notices a well tailored suit right away.

13. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA

Vizsla has a point. As I said earlier in these posts, it really depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience and how you will utilize the car.

Ferraris are too often compared to women/mistresses, etc. Yes, it's a bit cliche now, but let me take a shot at it using that same analogy...

I would describe the 550/575 as a rare beauty that you end up wanting to marry. She's elegant, refined, cultured, can hold her own at the company cocktail parties, and is drop dead gorgeous. She's been around a little. She's probably a brunette. She does not have that screaming "look at me" beauty. Think Sela Ward, Kate Beckinsale, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

The 360 is the hot young Playboy playmate you just started dating. She's gorgeous, gets attention everywhere she goes, and is a lot of fun. SHe makes you feel young again and the sex is amazing. But...she's a bit immature, you can't take her everywhere, your office colleagues think you are dating her to fulfill some deep insecurity (midlife crisis, etc), although they quietly envy that you are taking her to bed every night. Think Pamela Anderson (10 years ago!), Paris Hilton, etc etc. Eventually you break up with her because she's a train wreck, totally unreliable, and you walk in on her in bed with the pool boy. Oy vey...who needs this!

You marry the 550 because she understands you, can discuss weighty topics other than the latest issue of Cosmo, and because it's true love...

ketel

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Did I say that?:) I tend to agree but every now and then a dirty weekend in Vegas is good for the soul too.

15. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Having owned two 355's, a 360, and now owning a 575M I can offer you advice, since you asked.

Since you are 30 years old and obviously love to drive hard get the 360. I am 50 and the 575M is now about right. But I drove the hell out of all the previous mid-engined cars and you should to. Its a blast you will not get in a 575M. You will be disappointed if you do not.

16. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That being the case... RENT! LOL! I loved the female comparison! That was well written, one of the better I have read for sure!

James
    Austin, TX

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Not me. The 456 comes way after the 360 and 599 in the desirability stakes. I'm not 100% sold on the 599's looks but it is an awesome machine that makes me drool. The 360 is a lovely car. But the favorite Ferrari of the new millenium for me is the F430 - I love those looks.

Onno

18. PAR8HD

PAR8HD Karting

Mar 31, 2007
    Shoreview, MN
    Full Name:
    Harold J. Hitchcock
    This thread has been hugely informative for me. My original goal was a 355/360. Then I saw a 550 and had to think for a minute. Better cruiser and a V-12. But knowing me and my tendency toward "spirited" driving I think the 360 may be the right car for me. I can certainly see myself a few years down the road with a 550/575 or something similar.

To add my two cents, the 456 never did that much for me, can't say why. The 550/575 have a look that says very elegant with the ability to street fight should the situation call for it. Same with the 612. I liked the photos of the 599 until I saw one in person. Walking around it I stood at the rear and looked at the back window. Something about that view just screams "Jetsons!" to me.

Still, if the wallet had cash and the garage had room, I'd have one. Thank you for all the input on this thread!

19. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    The 456M GT is a practical car I drive my almost every day and can take my two young daughters to school and enjoy having a Ferrari as a daily driver - while I considered the 550/575, I needed the back seats. It is more than adequate for the street and well driven can easily keep up and pass a 550 and 575 (ask me why I know) even on the track. The difference between the 550 and 456 are nominal for normal street use. For messing around I have a properly set up 348 TS in the garage which great for week end blasts and occasional track time, but for pure track time a cheap spec Miata will whip all of them it terms of grip and grins... BTW, I have been thinking about putting a trailer hitch on the 456 that way I could take my race car to the track... that would be the ultimate FFUV (fast and fun utility vehicle) ;)

20. ADINEEN

ADINEEN Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANDREW DINEEN
    When I was buying my 575, the main dealer told me he would never buy in a manual ("Stick shift" to you in the U.S.)car at any cost. I'm glad I listened to him. There is a good reason why they are rare!

21. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Wow...you're gonna get a lot of arrows in your general direction on that point...Consensus among "purists" is the stick is a little faster, offers better control, and is preferred among long-time Ferraristi for a variety of other reasons...Also, the blokes on the all the auto test shows (Top Gear, 5th Gear, etc) all seem to prefer it -- Jason Plato, Jeremy Clarkson, etc etc. YouTube any one of them and they generally disdain the F1 shifters.

This, of course, is not to say that it's a fait accompli that the stick is a better config that the F1 shifter on the 575.

Ferraris (and Ferrari configs) are like wine. Sure, the experts have their opinions, but if you like a certain wine (cheap or expensive, no matter) then it's a good wine. Period. If you don't, then it's not a good wine. Drink what you like; and drive what you like.

To each his own. But be prepared for some "strongly worded letters" on the F1 vs Stick 575 debate.

ketel

22. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I haven't read all of the previous posts, but I have had both and am currently thinking of adding another 575 to my collection.

The 575 is a great GT car for long journeys, but very agile and nimble, and possibly marginally quicker than a 360. It has a beautiful interior too, and certainly in the UK they are quite good value now for such a lot of car.

My personal preference would be for an F1-shift with Fiorano handling pack.

I also think that they look great on the road in silver ("Argento Nurburgring"), which is probably a less popular colour and hence maybe cheaper.

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    +1; just don't do the second too soon after the first!

RTB, I'm not sure why Argento (silver) would be less popular; I think it's the BEST color for the 575, and beautiful on many other Ferrari models as well.

Adineen, please tell us that particular dealer's REASONS for not recommending the stick shift. Right or wrong, I'd love to know what his thinking was!

~Bradley

24. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    So why don't you give us the reason? We're all ears.

IMO a 575 with manual/stick shift is just a 550 with a little more power. Nothing wrong with a 550, so why would there be anything wrong with a 550 with a bit more power?!?!!?!?

Onno

25. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    You are wise, grasshopper...